Defender Source Forum banner

LT77 and V8

Tags
v8
1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Stork17 
#1 ·
Okay, I am trying how to figure this out. Unless one wants to take the risk in shipping from the UK, one puts in the 200tdi or 300 tdi in the 110 and roles the dice at customs. I am a magnet for Murphy's law so I am not going that route.
What I want to do is make it as easy as possible to put a 200tdi in a 110 when it gets to the states. So I was wondering if the LT77 can be attached to the V8 in a simple basic bolt on manner.
Why? Because I rather do most of the work in the UK, since it is easier to find the parts. So if I am able to mate the LT77 to the V8 I can take care of the transmission, transfer case, clutch, driveshafts, u joints and seat box/tunnel cover over there, ship the 110 and clear customs no problem. Them I sit and wait for the 200tdi to arrive, take out the V8 bolt in the tdi attach and go!
Of course this plan is shot if the LT77 does not mate with the the V8.
Just trying to beat the system!
Thanks
Robert

#2 · (Edited)
Stork17 said:
Of course this plan is shot if the LT77 does not mate with the the V8.
Just trying to beat the system!
Thanks
Robert
It doesn't. V8s and diesel gearboxes have different input shafts and bell housings along with motor mount potential issues, fuel supply issues, radiator intercooler, PS lines (if it has PS) etc etc. Doing a diesel conversion is quite a bit more complicated than you are suggesting. Its doable for sure, but not as an afternoon bolt in.
My suggestion... call Pendy. He likely has all this stuff anyway. You won't be happy with UK rebuild quality anyway. So buy a nice 110 (hard enough to do). Ship it to him and have him do the conversion to Tdi then drive it back to FL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.