LT230T Swap - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 15th, 2016, 08:44 PM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes
1994 Defender 90 Soft Top

LT230T Swap

As I understand it, a NAS D90 with a LT230T 1.222 can take a transfer case transplant from a Defender 110 & 130 and a Discovery I and Range Rover Classic - not a Discovery II?????
If this is the case, does anyone know the model number (stamped on the transfer case) range that will fit my D90? The current number is (LT230T 1.222 ratio) 32D286274E.

There are no guarantees expressed or implied of the accuracy or correctness of the contents of this message, and the Author is not liable for the taking of any action in reliance upon the contents of this message. As always, do your own research. To the extent that opinions are expressed in this message, they are not necessarily the opinions of the Author.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2016, 09:21 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
just get the gear ratio you want, and the highest suffix letter you can find (Q?). defenders need the 4 threaded holes for the parking drum mount. I have a D2 tcase in mine. I had to drill and tap the holes (easy and documented DIY job).

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old June 15th, 2016, 09:28 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
just get the gear ratio you want, and the highest suffix letter you can find (Q?). defenders need the 4 threaded holes for the parking drum mount. I have a D2 tcase in mine. I had to drill and tap the holes (easy and documented DIY job).
I thought some suffixes had weaker gears than others...

Just found the post... It's the q you want to avoid.... They made it quieter but sacrificed strength.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2016, 09:43 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post
I thought some suffixes had weaker gears than others...

Just found the post... It's the q you want to avoid.... They made it quieter but sacrificed strength.
True, as in the Q case they went to a higher "tooth" count for the input gear (can't remember exactly what, but I think it was 36-tooth versus the earlier 28-tooth).

That said, "weaker" is a subjective term...I've never heard of too many folks (besides myself and Buck when he was running KOH) breaking an LT230. Mine broke because it had been "remanufactured" with some crappy very early innards.

When I broke my tcase, I went with a D2 case and adapted it to my 90....it's a later-suffix case with the 36-tooth input gear. I'd wager that this case will outlast me and the truck...I'd certainly not hesitate to slap a Q suffix in any Defender, trail rig or not, without fear or apprehension. And - for the record, it IS actually a bit quieter which is a plus!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 15th, 2016, 10:18 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
True, as in the Q case they went to a higher "tooth" count for the input gear (can't remember exactly what, but I think it was 36-tooth versus the earlier 28-tooth). That said, "weaker" is a subjective term...I've never heard of too many folks (besides myself and Buck when he was running KOH) breaking an LT230. Mine broke because it had been "remanufactured" with some crappy very early innards. When I broke my tcase, I went with a D2 case and adapted it to my 90....it's a later-suffix case with the 36-tooth input gear. I'd wager that this case will outlast me and the truck...I'd certainly not hesitate to slap a Q suffix in any Defender, trail rig or not, without fear or apprehension. And - for the record, it IS actually a bit quieter which is a plus!
Yah... The lt230 is definitely not the weak link in a defender drivetrain. Probably the best part of the whole thing... But if you have the choice.... I'm surprised you can actually hear the difference in a defender with all the other racket going on.
Old June 16th, 2016, 01:26 PM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes
1994 Defender 90 Soft Top

When you reference the Q suffix is this referring to the number stamped on the case? The number on mine is
listed in the original post. No Q in mine.

There are no guarantees expressed or implied of the accuracy or correctness of the contents of this message, and the Author is not liable for the taking of any action in reliance upon the contents of this message. As always, do your own research. To the extent that opinions are expressed in this message, they are not necessarily the opinions of the Author.
Old June 16th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
it's the last letter. yours is an E series. each new version gets the next letter.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
lt230