LT230 Stuck locked? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 5th, 2016, 10:14 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
LT230 Stuck locked?

before i install my gear box and TC i want to make sure its all working, and I'm not understanding the way its operating. currently

on The TC there are two actions essentially side to side which is supposed to disengage and engage the diff lock, and front and back for high or low gear.

If I have the lever in either full forward or full back position, both the front and rear output flanges are locked together. Regardless of the position of the selector assembly (of which there are three clicks (left, middle, right). This tells me my diff lock is stuck engaged. The ONLY time i can spin the front ouput independently of the rear output is when i have the TC lever in the middle position (front to back)....which is essentially neutral no? However the fact i can do this makes me think the diff lock is not stuck, b/c isn't the diff lock completely sewerage of the high/low gear?

What i don't get is if i have it in high or low, and switch the diff lock it doesn't disengage anything... the front and rear outputs stay locked together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 5th, 2016, 10:21 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I ALWAYS set the linkage up on the floor, make sure it works, and then remove it so that when the unit(s) are in the vehicle you know the linkage works.

Also be careful you don't confuse locked with AT4WD... the LT230 is not like a 2A for example.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old June 5th, 2016, 10:32 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If the box is not installed, what exactly are you moving around? The gear change and diff lock are separate and on two different places on the box and they have no interaction with each other. They also have different and separate linkages.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 5th, 2016, 10:39 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
I ALWAYS set the linkage up on the floor, make sure it works, and then remove it so that when the unit(s) are in the vehicle you know the linkage works.

Also be careful you don't confuse locked with AT4WD... the LT230 is not like a 2A for example.
Thats why I'm doing this now and want to know it works. Its "in the vehicle" but only to mock up my mounts.

Understand the difference between locked and AT4WD. But i want to make sure I'm testing it correctly before i conclude my center diff gears are stuck together. Am i correct in assuming that the only time the front and rear output flanges should be locked together and not able to spin independently is when the selector assembly is turned all the way to one side? Regardless of the position of the High/Low selector.

I took off the selector assembly and checked to make sure the actuator was moving back and forth and it is. There are three distinct positions forward, middle, back; which translate into Left/middle/right for the selector assembly itself.

------ Follow up post added June 5th, 2016 10:45 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
If the box is not installed, what exactly are you moving around? The gear change and diff lock are separate and on two different places on the box and they have no interaction with each other. They also have different and separate linkages.
They are installed, and by that i mean bolted to the engine and each other. Im doing this to mock up my TC/Gearbox mounts. The hi/low linkage is connected. The diff lock linkage is not b/c I'm missing items 31-34 in this diagram Discovery I Transmission Levers, Linkage - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

but i can operate it by turning the selector assembly itself (item 35) with a 7/16 wrench. However the clutch is not installed but i don't think that makes a difference for what I'm trying to test here correct?
Old June 5th, 2016, 10:47 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You are confusing things. There are two completely separate linkages.

One goes to the gear change shifter. This is normally connected to the shifter and is the front to back movement. High/neutral/low. This is a pivot on the top/middle of the box that goes forward and back.

The diff lock linkage is the side to side movement of the lever and the lever should only feel two positions. The linkage goes to the top of the front output housing and turns a vertical stud that has two flats on it. You need to look at the linkages and see what is happening as the diff lock, in particular tends to get stuck from lack of use.

In the picture, the diff lock is the stud on the left in the center of the three bolt flange. Gear slector is the lever on the right.

Old June 5th, 2016, 10:55 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
You are confusing things. There are two completely separate linkages.

One goes to the gear change shifter. This is normally connected to the shifter and is the front to back movement. High/neutral/low. This is a pivot on the top/middle of the box that goes forward and back.

The diff lock linkage is the side to side movement of the lever and the lever should only feel two positions. The linkage goes to the top of the front output housing and turns a vertical stud that has two flats on it. You need to look at the linkages and see what is happening as the diff lock, in particular tends to get stuck from lack of use.

In the picture, the diff lock is the stud on the left in the center of the three bolt flange. Gear slector is the lever on the right.

Nope not confusing things... have it exactly as you mentioned. two separate linkages. My point is regardless of the position of the diff lock selector switch (and actuator underneath) the only time the front and rear output flanges operate independently is when the high/lox linkage is in the middle (neutral)

I'll take a vid and post in later today once I'm off baby duty
Old June 5th, 2016, 11:00 AM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Nope not confusing things... have it exactly as you mentioned. two separate linkages. My point is regardless of the position of the diff lock selector switch (and actuator underneath) the only time the front and rear output flanges operate independently is when the high/lox linkage is in the middle (neutral)

I'll take a vid and post in later today once I'm off baby duty
Is the transmission in neutral?
Old June 5th, 2016, 11:05 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
Is the transmission in neutral?
Yes. But should that matter?
Old June 5th, 2016, 11:08 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post

------ Follow up post added June 5th, 2016 10:45 AM ------

They are installed, and by that i mean bolted to the engine and each other. Im doing this to mock up my TC/Gearbox mounts. The hi/low linkage is connected. The diff lock linkage is not b/c I'm missing items 31-34 in this diagram Discovery I Transmission Levers, Linkage - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

but i can operate it by turning the selector assembly itself (item 35) with a 7/16 wrench. However the clutch is not installed but i don't think that makes a difference for what I'm trying to test here correct?
If you are manually turning the diff lock, there ARE three positions on it. Make sure you are fully moving it. An improperly adjusted diff lock light switch or detente ball (the arrow in the picture I posted) can prevent the diff lock linkage moving fully.

The gear change and the diff lock have no interaction and are completely and 100% separate inside the box.

If the gearbox is not in neutral, none of the testing will work. When the transfer case is in gear, you can't move both output shafts together. Turning one should back spin the other.

Old June 5th, 2016, 11:16 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
When the transfer case is in gear, you can't move both output shafts together. Turning one should back spin the other.
Regardless of position of the diff lock?

If so this answers my question and there is no issue. Although I don't understand why if you can elaborate for my own education. Thanks!
Old June 6th, 2016, 06:01 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
Hi Adrian,

the Diff Lock is spring operated!

You shift the rod to load the spring only!
The locking position will engage spring operated only.
Old June 6th, 2016, 10:02 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
Hi Adrian,

the Diff Lock is spring operated!

You shift the rod to load the spring only!
The locking position will engage spring operated only.
OK - so i get that, the selector loads the spring, when things line up it will change state because of the spring only.

However - how come i can't get it to change state?

I guess i should re-phrase the question:

How can i properly test my TC to make sure my it is engaging and dis-engaging the CDL and High/Low range with it on a bench. What is the proper procedures? (yes i understand the CDL and high/Low are two totally separate functions but would like to test them both.

Currently its bolted to the gearbox but if need be I can unbolt it.
Old June 6th, 2016, 11:03 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Turn the output shafts in opposite directions. If they will do that it is unlocked. If not, it is locked. Turn the stud to each end and turn and wiggle the shafts to get the splines to load or unload in the dog clutch. The picture above is locked.

Old June 7th, 2016, 06:34 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Turn the output shafts in opposite directions. If they will do that it is unlocked. If not, it is locked. Turn the stud to each end and turn and wiggle the shafts to get the splines to load or unload in the dog clutch. The picture above is locked.

OK - i swear im a relatively competent person... but I'm not getting this.

Shouldn't the CDL essentially lock the front and rear outputs together, so one can not spin without the other spinning. this is what sends 50% to the front, and 50% to the rear, and then the axle diffs split 50/50 left to right When its disengaged shouldn't you be able to get one shaft to spin separately from the other?

How should the front and rear output shafts act when the CDL is engaged?

I can not, despite anything, get them to act differently from spinning opposite unless i put the TC in neutral.
Old June 18th, 2016, 09:57 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
So just an update on this. I'm not crazy, just an idiot. Turns out I used the wrong bolt in one spot mounting it to the transmission, and it was locking up a gear Inside the TC. Correct length used and problem solved. Stupid mistake but an easy fix. Glad I didnt just bolt it up!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
lt230