LT230 shifter not engaging - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 6th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

LT230 shifter not engaging

With this larger snow storm approaching, last night I reshuffled the driveway to get the 110 out. I figured it would be a good time to install the new engine cover, check fluids, make sure the xfer case linkage hadn't siezed, etc.

Turns out that the xfer case shifter moves nicely (as it has always done), but it doesn't actually affect any discernable change. The truck is in unlocked high (well, certainly in high range, assuming it's open), but shifting into neutral, low, locked does nothing.

I couldn't get a good line of site on it in the dark last night in the few minutes I had, and I'm not eager to crawl around in the snow now, but what I could make out was that the linkage appeared to be hooked up.

Any thoughts on where to start looking? When the snow lets up I'll start tearing into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
This happend to me at the last MAR on the trail and I ended up getting pulled out after following the RN PUMA through something that should have been cake. Ended my trail time. When I got home and pulled the tunnel cover off, it turned out I had lost the connector pin in my lock linkage. damn it@#$@

If your linkage is in fact all hooked up, I don't think it's physically possible to be able to shift to all positions and have nothing happen, since gears inside the t-case would be moving.

I'm at the end of my R380 install, so my tunnel and floors are all off right now, with a perfect view of the everything if you need a pic, although there is plenty on the net in google images. I'm waiting on a replacement for a bent pivot pin to be done. Good luck!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Thanks, Mark, I think you're right that it must be a linkage issue. Plus I'd think that if there was something wrong internally it wouldn't be operating as quietly as it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Got the tunnel cover removed and maddeningly all the linkage looks fine. The stubs on the box are moving fine but no movement of the shifter seems to result in anything other than high/open. Even moving it to neutral has no affect. I suppose next step is to pull the inspection plate to see what's actually in the box . . .

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
lt230