LT230 Replacement Questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 24th, 2016, 04:12 PM
rayjay003
Jason
1987 90 RHD 2.5 Petrol

LT230 Replacement Questions

I am new to the Defender world and am looking for some advice on replacing my transfer case. I have a 1987 RHD 90 with the 2.5 petrol engine. The transfer case does not shift properly and seems to be seized when trying to shift into high; low and neutral seem to be free. It is also making a ticking noise (at least my mechanic says it is coming from the t-case).

I am looking to replace the unit with a used one (hopefully I can find a good deal on the forum!).

My question pertains to the 1.2 versus 1.4 versions. I use the truck to drive around town and to the beach, no off roading (maybe some minor off roading once I get it all sorted out!). Highway use is the priority. I am not sure which version I have (any help to identify it would be great).

Which version would be best for me; 1.2 or 1.4?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2016, 04:19 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
A 1.2 will be too high for that engine. You can tell what you have from the serial number.

Most likely the shifting problem is the external linkage. I've never heard of an internal shifting problem.

Ticking noise could be anything. You can pull the inspection plate in ten minutes and inspect the gears. The transfer case is the most reliable part on the vehicle.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 24th, 2016, 06:34 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
I have a 90 with the 2.5NA and put in a LT230 from a Discovery with 1.2 high. It pulls and will do 70mph, on a level road, at sea level with no wind. Mostly.

I don't know if your gas engine will pull or not. But I can tell you that 1.2 are VERY plentiful in junkyards which means they are cheap! Under $200, maybe $150 if you look hard enough.

Buying a 1.4 is a lot more expensive. I'd consider buying a 1.2 if you find one at a good price. If it doesn't work with your engine you will be able to resell it for what you paid and pony up for the 1.4.

Mike
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2016, 06:58 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

As John advised a 1.2 is too high, ie would over gear it to a point of driving a 4 speed.
A 1.4 is a stretch unless you add a header and less fidley carb.
The 34 with all the contraptions added for fuel anti-run-on and gasoline fume reduction and forced timing changes makes it problematic from the show room, much less 29 years later.
A weber 32/36 will work without issue.

The best option for you is to get your shift linkage working.
Also make sure the diff lock indicator switch is not out of adjustment which can cause some issues if you are going into certain gears if not all of them.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old June 27th, 2016, 11:01 AM
rayjay003
Jason
1987 90 RHD 2.5 Petrol

Thank you for the info. I think I will need to do some more investigating into the issues I am having to see if I can have them fixed instead of replacing the unit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, lt230