LT230 Input gear again! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 16th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

LT230 Input gear again!

Well about a mile from home and all of the sudden I get some loud groaning coming from right under the tuffy box, so I take it home put the T-case in neutral and the tranns in gear. I get the same noise and it gets worse as I go faster doesn't matter what gear the tranns is in. So I pulled the input gear, well check out the pictures. I have a set of bearings in hand that I can throw on the input gear, but I'm kinda afraid that the other bearings in the case might be in bad shape. So should I replace the bearings and try driving it? Or with this kind of wear should I just pull it out? If anyone would like to see higher res pics I have them.

Thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01491.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	3312   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01495.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	3313  

Name:	DSC01496.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	3314  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2005, 09:15 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

dosn't look good Mike pic 3
Old June 16th, 2005, 09:27 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Mike

Looks like some excessive wear near the edge of the teeth from root to tip. It's been a while since I've pulled that gear out but I think the cover plate basically sets the preload on the gear. It appears that there is some gear movement...alot actually. Can you move any of the other gears on the mainshaft? Maybe a shim has disintigrated and one is "floating". From the pics I can't see any obvious bearing damage, is there any debrish in the bottom of the case?

Tis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90
Can you move any of the other gears on the mainshaft?

Well I just ran out and checked, the other gear (big one in the case) flops around quiet a bit, maybe an inch or so. Looks like I'm droping the case
Old June 16th, 2005, 11:42 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Well did you replace the crush sleeve when rebuilding it?

Are any of the bearings fragged?

In the words of mike m. "What did you do dude?"
Old June 17th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I bought the case about 1.5 years ago from TN TRL. But when I last drained the fluid from it it came out in chunks and smelled like swamp, so I pulled the inspection plate and pulled out the input gear and cleaned everything out. Then I filled and drained the gear oil 3 or 4 times to get the rest out. This was all in the last 2 weeks. I think I need to pull the inspection plate off and see what's up inside, but the gear that came loose (the intermediate gears I think) looks like it came loose at the back side of the case. I'm going to look at the manual for the T-case and see what I don't have that I would need to rebuild it in the way of tools.

Follow-up Post:

OK, Can I save mysefl a bunch of work and get the intermidiate gear out without haveing to take the T-case out? I still have too see what damage is done but just trying to figure some things out.
Old June 17th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Mike,
You have to take the t-case out to remove the intermediate shaft.
Rob
Old June 17th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I wasn;t sure if I could drive out the shaft in place or not, oh well just a few hours more work.
Thanks All!
Old June 17th, 2005, 04:40 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Mike, just a request (and I'm sure you'll do it anyway) but I was wondering if you could put details as to how you rebuild the TC as you go along. I have a TC rebuild ahead of me in the near future and I will need to use all the help I can get!

Thanks!
Old June 17th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I'll take pics and list what I do, I may not have to rebuild the hole thing but we'll see. Almost got it out tonight, but it started pooring.
Old June 18th, 2005, 02:53 PM
redrover

Mike you should drop some of those ascroft crawler gears in there during the rebuild. I put the maxi -crawler gears in when I did my case. Love em. JP
Old June 18th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrover
Mike you should drop some of those ascroft crawler gears in there during the rebuild. I put the maxi -crawler gears in when I did my case. Love em. JP
That would be nice but with the current exchange rate they are a bit of $$$$$

But here is what I have found, looks like the bearing disintegrated, and caused the wear on everything. Looks like I need to do a full rebuild just to clean it all out, then maybe replace a few of the chipped gears/cogs. What does everyone think of the wear on the inside of the case where the bearing was? And is Ascroft the only place to order parts? I know RDS has a rebuild kit but what about replacing gears/cogs?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01497.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	349.6 KB
ID:	3320   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01498.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	3321  

Name:	DSC01499.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	3322  
Old June 18th, 2005, 04:37 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Dang Mike, that's too bad. I am not familiar enough with the workings of a t-case to give you any advice yet. But....

I was wondering from you JP, where could I get some more info on the crawler gears (maxi or ashcroft) for the LT-230??

Thanks!
Old June 18th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass
I was wondering from you JP, where could I get some more info on the crawler gears (maxi or ashcroft) for the LT-230??
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=5630
Old June 18th, 2005, 05:46 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
Hi Mike. I'm sorry to hear about your T-case trouble. Didn't Great Basin Rovers have the T-case gears as well? They are expensive, but since you have to spend some $$ anyway, check to see if the difference would be worth it for you. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Old June 18th, 2005, 09:13 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Hose it out with brake clean and a magnet, replace the bearing and any other bearings that look suspect and fill with oil and it should be ok.

Make sure to check both output bearings to see that they are ok.

Alternatively you could ship me your diff and I could make the one I have here whole for not too much cash.

Or even better I could ship you the core I have here, sans diff, and you can put yours back together for really cheap.

I have done a few for people on the board and in spite of less than ideal cores and using used parts to fix them I have no complaints--of course price reflected condition.

Ron

evilfij at yahoo dot com
Old June 19th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Stephen, I have sent out some e-mails looking into those options

Ron Thanks! Before this happened I had cleaned it out thought the inspection plate with break cleaner, but I think the bearing was already gone by then. The plan at a minimum was to buy the rebuild kit RDS sells and replace all the seals and bearings and clean it all out. I don't mind rebuilding it I just don't want to do it twice, and with the wear on the input gear, the chipped teeth on the intermediate gear and the damage done to the case by the bad bearing on the intermediate shaft I'm not sure. I can replace the gears easy enough, but the damage to the case is what worries me, I can just clean it up with a file, but will the crush bushing take up the slack for the ground down case?

I'm going to wait for some more input from a few emails I sent out and then go from there.
Old June 19th, 2005, 06:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Even if you are doing a full rebuild you will want to buy mine because the gears in yours have issues. This way you can use my case as well. If you buy new gears you are way over the cost of a reman.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
lt230