LT230 extension housing swap - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 13th, 2011, 06:47 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport

Registry
LT230 extension housing swap

Hello all,

I pickup up a LT230 to throw in the Defender (actually the second one I picked up). The extension housing does not have two of the holes drilled out for the parking brake bracket.

Is there any reason I should not be about to just swap them out? I want to do it for this, and the electronic speed gear is not the same as the mechanical speedo gear. The squares are bigger on the mechanical speedo gear.

Thanks in advance.

-Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2011, 07:04 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by red64chevelle View Post

the electronic speed gear is not the same as the mechanical speedo gear. The squares are bigger on the mechanical speedo gear.

-Dan
When I was faced with this problem, I cut a piece out of a soda (beer?) can and wrapped it around the square drive. Just one layer did the trick.
Old October 13th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Had the same problem when I put a d1 lt230 in the 110. Wound up converting it to a d2 parking brake assembly and cable which doesn't use that brake mount. Secondary benefit was that the d2 cable is adjustable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2011, 07:47 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Karlsson View Post
When I was faced with this problem, I cut a piece out of a soda (beer?) can and wrapped it around the square drive. Just one layer did the trick.
It is the other way around, the cable version is bigger than the electronic version.

------ Follow up post added October 13th, 2011 07:49 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
Had the same problem when I put a d1 lt230 in the 110. Wound up converting it to a d2 parking brake assembly and cable which doesn't use that brake mount. Secondary benefit was that the d2 cable is adjustable.
What else would I need? I have the d1 version that mounts to the t-case, but no cable or handle.
Old October 13th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by red64chevelle View Post
What else would I need? I have the d1 version that mounts to the t-case, but no cable or handle.
IIRC I transferred the entire D2 assemble from the rear face of the xfer case along with the cable, all sourced from Tillery. The 110 is RHD and I wound up mounting the parking brake on the left hand side of the tunnel as the cable was too short to make it over to the right. I'm sure there was a more artistic way to tackle the issue, but the truck had already been off the road for nearly a year and that was the expedient solution . . .

And it worked really well. I could lock up the wheels at 20mph by yanking the hand brake. I honestly can't remember what I did about the speedo cable.
Old October 13th, 2011, 08:59 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith

Registry
I have to see about returning one of the t-cases at the wrecking yard. I will snoop around and see how it is mounted in a d1. I might be able to make this work.
Old October 16th, 2011, 08:45 AM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith

Registry
Well,

I kept the extension housing that came on the case on it. I didn't like the look of the splines on the shaft of the one with the mechanical speed gear (that wont come out).

I was able to attach the old style parking brake, so that's all set.

I still need to do the speedo though.

Is the gear on the shaft that drives the small speedo gear only for electronic speedo outputs, or will it work with a mechanical speedo.

I have the feeling that I will be installing a VDO electronic speedo soon.
Old October 16th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have always been able to simply pry the electronic transducer/sending unit out and slide the cable drive right in

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 16th, 2011, 09:09 AM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
I have always been able to simply pry the electronic transducer/sending unit out and slide the cable drive right in
Thats what everybody says, but the square end of my speedo cable is too big to fit into the square hole of the two newer t-cases.

I have the feeling that the early cables are fatter than the later ones.

One the bright side, the last t-case I put it sounds great. No extra noises, just some gear whine, but that is to be expected. The one in now is the older lower tooth count case.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
lt230