LT230 education help - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 6th, 2015, 01:05 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
One from a DII won't have the output for the VSS as far as I know. The DII uses the wheel speed sensors for the speedo.
You just swap over the rear output/stub housing from the old tcase...and problem solved
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...der-61948.html
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2015, 01:09 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Then show me a dyno.
I'll email Goran and see what he has.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old December 6th, 2015, 01:11 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Seriously…we've swapped in at least 5 donor LT230's into trucks without rebuilding them and have had zero issues (including my 110 and D2). Check the intermediate shaft to see if it's leaking on the donor, if it is, don't buy it. Use your output housing and you can use any year LT230.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
Seriously…we've swapped in at least 5 donor LT230's into trucks without rebuilding them and have had zero issues (including my 110 and D2). Check the intermediate shaft to see if it's leaking on the donor, if it is, don't buy it. Use your output housing and you can use any year LT230.
I've seen lots start leaking soon after. Why would you not rebuild? It is easy and low cost.

He is spending big money on a new gearbox. It would be crazy to run a used and unknown transfer case.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 6th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
LT-230's mostly fail from fluid loss or offr-roading with the center diff unlocked, not wear. I also wouldn't bother rebuilding one. I would just reseal it.
Old December 6th, 2015, 01:35 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

I've not…both of the donor cases I've installed in my trucks haven't (or the 3 other trucks) and I beat the living shit out of my D2. The D2 even has a under drive bolted up to it and I've had zero issues.

OP choice either way

A question for the guy's running this engine swap upgrading your brakes and driveline
Old December 6th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
I've seen lots start leaking soon after. Why would you not rebuild? It is easy and low cost.

He is spending big money on a new gearbox. It would be crazy to run a used and unknown transfer case.
Would you rebuild a used diff before installing it?
Old December 6th, 2015, 02:38 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Then show me a dyno.
John:
I sent a note to Goran so we'll see what he can find.
Could not find an OM617 dyno result with one of Goran's IPs online yet, but here is one from an OM606 below that has the same 3.0 liter displacement and a very similar (same generation) IP although with 8mm plungers (verses Howard's 7.5mm).

This is so new that there may not be specific results to Howard's configuration available.
I think Howard got one of the first of the OM617 external ALDA 7.5mm M-IPs.
I'll check on http://www.superturbodiesel.com/ to see if anyone else has the same IP as Howard that has been tested and get some results because I'm curious myself.
For now take a look at these impressive results.

From Goran's facebook page:
566bhp and 586.7lbft at the wheels, im very very happy now.
This is almost 680 engine HP. 795nm whp 2,8bar boost and yes its a OM606. 700hp is The next limit to break. Do We have any 700hp+ OM606 out there? Not assdyno now. Real figurers.
Dieselmeken AB's photo.

https://www.facebook.com/dieselmeken...type=3&theater
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	606Dyno.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	136462  

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old December 7th, 2015, 10:49 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Then show me a dyno.
Got a response back from Goran saying that he does not have a dyno result, but still checking.
Here's what he said:

No I dont have the dyno test sheet here, but I know for a fact that the 617 can go 250 hp.
--
Best Regards
Dieseltekniker Göran Lindgren
Dieselmeken i Aneby AB
Stigbergsvägen 5
578 33 Aneby
Sweden
+46 380 41100 ( Välj dieselverkstaden )
+46 705176566
Visit us at facebook www.facebook.com/dieselmeken

Old December 7th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Unless someone has dynoed one, then nobody know for sure. It is ridiculous (in my mind) that anyone would be tuning an engine to double stock power without involving a dyno.

So what crazy levels of boost are being used to get to that amount of power?

Old December 7th, 2015, 10:55 AM
scrubs
henery

He is the "Mr.Wizard" in this area,

Hope he gets the joy in life he brings to othes with what he does with IJ pumps
Old December 7th, 2015, 10:57 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Unless someone has dynoed one, then nobody know for sure. It is ridiculous (in my mind) that anyone would be tuning an engine to double stock power without involving a dyno.

So what crazy levels of boost are being used to get to that amount of power?
Pretty much every kid with a early P-Pump cummins do this, and they generally do not dyno them.
Old December 7th, 2015, 11:11 AM
scrubs
henery

I think basically,
It's like the older semi diesel's, Cat ,Cummins n Detroit, at one time you've heard that they've been "turned up", the older diesels that was a common thing to do to get more HP, most did it till the engine ran to the owners performance needs/ego.
Because of the ability to do this,set to ego,most were not dynoed as ever engine had different applications, the M-pumps Hp your requesting to see would be kinda the same, I can run the fuel up ,turn it up, or keep it low, it's kinda sweet from what I understand but still on a very long learning curve to get it right.

Would like to know tho what years of the LT230 came without a central locking diff, read it a bit back and cannot find it again, currently reading on suffix codes to try n better understand tho still escapes where the mentioned information was found.
Old December 7th, 2015, 11:29 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Not knowing anything specifically about the OM617 - but assuming the basic physics of engines doesn't change: assuming 80hp NA, then 250hp would require around 2 to 2.5 bar boost. It's within the realm of reason. But given that it's a 4-banger running >2 bar boost, it would be a dyno queen - very little bottom end. Could be done with GT28 or larger equivalent hybrid turbo.
Old December 7th, 2015, 11:36 AM
scrubs
henery

Folks, looking for a LT230 was what was intended,

Maybe this should be moved over to Super Turbo Diesel, over there it's dedicated to this type of engine performance queries.

No I'm not educated enough to answer all of the om617 related stuff, I'm a knuckle buster n reader.

Just looking for LT230 information was the question.
Reasons for used... $$$$ spent on engine n gearbox, used is cost effective n plentiful vs new. :--)
Old December 7th, 2015, 11:39 AM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubs View Post

Would like to know tho what years of the LT230 came without a central locking diff, read it a bit back and cannot find it again, currently reading on suffix codes to try n better understand tho still escapes where the mentioned information was found.
Mid-2001 thru the end of 2003 model year do not have cdl nipple...
Old December 7th, 2015, 11:43 AM
scrubs
henery

Thank you very much, lol ;--)
Old December 7th, 2015, 11:45 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
From the GBR Utah site:

Discovery 2’s – Note, you must make sure you have a compatible transfer case. Land Rover removed the activating mechanism for the central differential lock starting with the 1999 Discovery 2. They felt that Electronic Traction Control was effective enough that a functioning CDL was not needed. Subsequently they decided this was not the case. Factory D2’s also have a detuned version of ETC. Fortunately they left the important internal components inside the transfer case at least until mid 2001. At this point, unfortunately they even removed this internal stuff. Due to an out cry of enthusiasts, they were supposed to add it back in along with a cab operated activating mechanism in 2003 but this didn’t actually occur until 2004. So mid 2001, 2002 and 2003 Discovery 2’s do not have an appropriate transfer case. If you do not have a compatible transfer case you have several options as follows...

Source: Coil Sprung — Transfer Case Gearing | GBR Utah
Old December 7th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubs View Post
Folks, looking for a LT230 was what was intended,

Maybe this should be moved over to Super Turbo Diesel, over there it's dedicated to this type of engine performance queries.

No I'm not educated enough to answer all of the om617 related stuff, I'm a knuckle buster n reader.

Just looking for LT230 information was the question.
Reasons for used... $$$$ spent on engine n gearbox, used is cost effective n plentiful vs new. :--)
This was all answered at the beginning of the thread. Go to the junk yard and get a transfer case from any Discovery 1 or 2. As above, some Disco 2s don't have a CDL, so don't take one of those....

My suggestion... Reseal it at a minimum. Three shaft seals, two intermediate shaft O-rings and all gaskets. Better to take it apart and replace all the bearings, but if you are lazy, they are usually fine.

Old December 7th, 2015, 11:49 AM
scrubs
henery

Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
lt230