LT 95 problems - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 29th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Jackd
Jack DiPiazza
1983 110

LT 95 problems

My LT 95 Transmission won't shift into 1st or 2nd gear. 3rd 4th and R work fine. It is not making any noises it is like hitting a wall. Any thoughts on what can be wrong and are parts available?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Santiago Montenegr
Santiago Montenegro
98 110 CSW 300 TDi

Registry
The same thing happened to me, but sadly I can't remember exactly what was the cause- many years have passed.

But I do remember it was a very easy fix, done thru the lateral cover on the left hand side of the box. Almost positive it was a pin.
Old September 14th, 2011, 04:53 PM
rondo
Rondo B
Defender 100

Any resolution on this? Having trouble with 1st gear. Same problem, no grinding, its just like a solid wall where first gear should be. Appreciate any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2011, 05:10 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Rondo, didn't you just rebuilt your LT95? Check the shifter linkage/gate.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 08:38 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
My awesome search skillz landed me here. Did this issue get resolved and if so could you enlighten me as to whether it was the linkage pin?

Many thanks
Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 10:04 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

Clay, is this a new truck for you? If not, what changed? What type of transmission fluid are you running? Will it shift into 1st while stopped?
Old March 2nd, 2014, 10:14 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Yes, somewhat new to me in that I've had it for a couple months. Nothing major or noticeable has happened other than temps are much lower than the last time I moved her out of the garage. Fluids are at spec levels but I'm not certain what fluid is in there. She moves into first fine, just initially going from first to second in the morning or after she's sits requires a good pull. Going from second to third and so on is fine. Reverse is fine as well. Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 11:47 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Try going to third or fourth very first thing. If that first pull/push is stiff too then I suspect old/dirty great on linkages. And it's warm today so so if it's better when not so cold
Old March 2nd, 2014, 12:10 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
Clay - It is in the gate mechanism. Mine did this at the inspection station (I am sure I told you this story).

Try lifting up on the shifting level (long shot) but that may pull if out of mis-alignment.

Worst case is that it is your balls... the dedent balls and springs. But that is a long shot too.

If you remove the floor mat - you can see the shifting lever where it attaches to the gearbox (no need to remove the floor tunnel). You can unbolt four bolts and the whole level mechanism comes off. You can then poke around with the shifting forks.

Note that all forks have to be in the "neutral position" for one to move into gear. So if one fork has hung a halfway (gears not engaged by the gate not perfectly aligned) then that will block your shifting.
Sterling, VA
Old March 2nd, 2014, 12:17 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

How cold? So, in warmer temps it shifted better into 2nd, but in colder temps it hangs up, right? As Galpin suggests, you can try shifting from 1st into second and then into 2nd, all with the clutch depressed. I suspect you have a cold weather viscosity issue. However, you mentioned that it was in the garage, so the box is not really all that cold, unless the garage is unheated or it sat outside for hours.

If it is a prob with the shift gate, then the temp is unlikely a contributing factor.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 01:30 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Thanks Guys. I removed the shift boot and found pieces of hard plastic shards laying around the shifter. I removed what I could with my fingers and shot some silicone around it as well to see if I could spray any loose pieces I couldnt see or reach with my fingers. Took her out for a run and she is shifting fine now. Rather than trust myself I stopped by the firehouse to get Dave to put a trained eye on it as well. He seemed to agree that pieces of that hard plastic gasket must have been lodging in all the wrong places, causing the first shift of the day to be a pita. Now I'm in search of a new 3 bolt gasket. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3287968655.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	480.1 KB
ID:	90556   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2907694940.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	90557  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
95, problems