LT 230 Disco ratio to Defender - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 13th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
72Nm when fitted with a noncalpsable distance between the bearings! This is the new method from Disco II and Td5 upwards.

The 148Nm where necassary for the older version to get the stakenut to the old position!
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2015, 02:20 PM
TheOneTen
Eric Wages
1988 D110 300tdi/R380

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
72Nm when fitted with a noncalpsable distance between the bearings! This is the new method from Disco II and Td5 upwards.

The 148Nm where necassary for the older version to get the stakenut to the old position!
Since I'm in the process of rebuilding an old 1988 box with a brand new rebuild kit, should I use the 72 or the 148 number?
Old June 13th, 2015, 02:42 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
You have to measure the distance between the inner rings of the bearings when you will use the new method! And you need then the correct size of the distance!

The older one is much easier by tightening the nut and controlling the load on the input shaft. Dave Ashcroft says, it will start at 205Nm!

I had discribed both methods in this thread.
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2015, 10:14 PM
TheOneTen
Eric Wages
1988 D110 300tdi/R380

Registry
So, in essence, the retainer ring should be positioned such that it's keeping the top bearing in place (light touch) while still meeting the 0.05mm preload. You don't want the inner race to have too much wiggle room.

Since you have the German manual that lists the tension loads, can you share what the main gear and the diff gear rigs should have for tension (when the 0.05mm of preload) is correct?
Old April 8th, 2016, 05:53 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
Another way to calculate the distance inside

Sorry Eric, I missed your last question. Will try to have look again for this.

The intermediate gears had been supported by radial bearings an axial washers, followed by taper roller bearings with collapsing bushes between the inner rings and fixed distances to hold the preload while simply tightening the nut to 88Nm.

The last procedure is discribed in the TD5 DiscoII manual.
And I'm not a fan of the collapsing method.

Here's my way to keep the customer satisfied:

Big end of the axle is not supported but showing down, inside the gearshaft both of the two taper rollers and a 60mm long distance cylinder is mounted added by an other distance outside, the fat washer and nut, tightened by hand.

While rotating and forcing down the play between the parts will turn down to zero: the clock's finger doesn't move any further down. Now you will turn the clock to Zero!

Next step is to lift up the axle.
Again you have to rotate it and force it upwise until the you are sure the shown measurement is the correct lenght of what the distance has to be cut down + 0,05mm for the preload!

So you can order the correct length or just ask your next neighbour using a lathe.

Best of all:

You are able to proof it outside what you are going to install the box, just in a vice!

Needed torque is 88Nm.
You need the distances used befor too.
And a something reading torque between nothing and very litle more than nothing!
The manual says 0,56 and 1,5Nm.
You are on the very good way if it will show like this!

Enjoy the difference.

Old May 15th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
A friend brought a used LT230 to me, the oher day. Castings are showing 1997 of birthday. Box # is 22D707611G

It was part dismanteled.

Some parts looks like overdone.

I was unable to pull off the gears from the shaft, so I used the grinder:

The bush was lokated as a welded one too!

Got them all!

Best of all, the remaining parts are going to be reassembled inside their own box!

Old May 17th, 2016, 03:36 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
Looking much better than the other day now!

The intermediate shaft is waiting at school for a new life inside this box!
Will take it tomorrow.

Old May 19th, 2016, 06:40 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
Done!

Just asked for the proper gear and housing that was missing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender, disco