LR4's - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 2nd, 2015, 10:08 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
You need to drive a Land Rover with a 5.0 V8. The 3.0 V6 is underpowered in the LR4 but fine in the RRS and full size.
I have. My neighbor has an Buckingham Blue 12' HSE. Beautiful truck. Makes mine feel like, well approaching 10 years old. But after 5 min behind the wheel, I can't tell the difference. More power, yes, but so what. The 4.4l has plenty of ump. I don't care for the Discovery Sport either. But when it is out and prevalent, the value of late model LR4s will TANK. This is essentially universal after significant redesigns. Grab a lease returned LR4 and watch it depreciate $20-25k inside 2 years. That is a lot of coin, especially factoring in LR's reliability and maintenance record.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2015, 10:12 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

The sport is the new lr2. Totally different vehicle just new naming convention. New lr4/5 will probably look similar though.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 11:12 PM
koltonstanley
Kolton Stanley
defender 130 hi cap

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
The sport is the new lr2. Totally different vehicle just new naming convention. New lr4/5 will probably look similar though.

I keep hearing this but will be skeptical until I actually see it.

I hope your right though.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2015, 09:52 AM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by koltonstanley View Post
I keep hearing this but will be skeptical until I actually see it. I hope your right though.....
I believe Barry is saying the next model in the LR4/LR5 segment (if that's what they call it) will look like the Discovery Sport. Meaning similar styling attributes of the Toyota Previa.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old December 3rd, 2015, 10:03 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
I believe Barry is saying the next model in the LR4/LR5 segment (if that's what they call it) will look like the Discovery Sport. Meaning similar styling attributes of the Toyota Previa.
My parents had a previa briefly. Captains chairs for everyone!
Old December 3rd, 2015, 10:05 AM
koltonstanley
Kolton Stanley
defender 130 hi cap

Registry
Haha I had to look it up.
But yes that looks to be about what I'm expecting......
Old December 3rd, 2015, 11:13 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Thought of another question.

What's been the experience with transmission fluid. My understanding is leaks develop and if gone unchecked problems obviously ensue. Given there are no dipsticks how often do you check the levels manually?
Old December 3rd, 2015, 11:23 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Thought of another question.

What's been the experience with transmission fluid. My understanding is leaks develop and if gone unchecked problems obviously ensue. Given there are no dipsticks how often do you check the levels manually?

If its not leaking, its not low.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 11:32 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
You need to drive a Land Rover with a 5.0 V8. The 3.0 V6 is underpowered in the LR4 but fine in the RRS and full size.
Jimmy I am hearing the 2012 Range Rover SC model has issues...is it worth the extra coin for the performance of a SC. I would be buying an extended warranty (for sure)
Old December 3rd, 2015, 11:37 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I still don't get the "looks like a Ford Explorer" comments. No vehicles in the LR lineup look at all like an Explorer.

I've even seen a new Ford Explorer next to a new Range Rover. Not even close.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 11:49 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
There's an indie shop owner that I know locally and he gets a ton of business thrown his way for out of warranty vehicles. The RR, Sports and LR's all have the same issue with leaking trans. The problem is the leaks are subtle and not often noticeable unless you check them.

But on a good note JLR has saved $ on dipsticks.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 11:59 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Jimmy I am hearing the 2012 Range Rover SC model has issues...is it worth the extra coin for the performance of a SC. I would be buying an extended warranty (for sure)
The supercharger can make noise, but its not super expensive to fix. Same with the timing chains. An extended warranty isn't the worst idea as they have most of the same problems as the older vehicles on the same chassis.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 12:53 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
My understanding is that there is a leak that can develop around a switch that goes into the transmission. The trans fluid climbs the wiring harness or something. There is a new part that has an extra o-ring. This combined with new pan and filter sounds like the happening thing to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old December 3rd, 2015, 01:01 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I still don't get the "looks like a Ford Explorer" comments. No vehicles in the LR lineup look at all like an Explorer.

I've even seen a new Ford Explorer next to a new Range Rover. Not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
My understanding is that there is a leak that can develop around a switch that goes into the transmission. The trans fluid climbs the wiring harness or something. There is a new part that has an extra o-ring. This combined with new pan and filter sounds like the happening thing to do.
You would have thought they would have learned from the Td5 injector harness problem.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 01:15 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Jimmy what do you know of this? This may be the reason Sarek wants to do a preventative tranny flush on my LR3 once it hits 75k. I thought they were being paranoid as ZF says no service on tranny needed until 150k.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old December 3rd, 2015, 01:30 PM
roverguy2
Brian Morton
1991 Defender 110 "Blanca"

Registry
I got my wife's 2015 LR4 back in Sept and knock on wood it has been flawless. Zero problems. But like any Rover that can change and may depend on when it was made. I think the SCV6 in the current truck has plenty of power and gets pretty good mileage to boot. We use the third row seating all the time for kids and they don't complain. The eco mode is not great and the engine start and stops are harsh IMHO. It has the last of the truck that have the classic rover looks and if you can find a deal on a new one now it may be worth the dollars. I got mine at dealer invoice so I saved $4K off retail.

------ Follow up post added December 3rd, 2015 02:34 PM ------

[QUOTE=javelinadave;694575]

The same designer did both trucks so yes they look the same.
I have coworkers that always tell me that there Ford Explorers are better because they are cheaper Land Rovers.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 01:51 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Quote:
Jimmy what do you know of this? This may be the reason Sarek wants to do a preventative tranny flush on my LR3 once it hits 75k. I thought they were being paranoid as ZF says no service on tranny needed until 150k.
Is this the same issue that the LR3's suffer from?
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albu..._wilson009.pdf

I have yet to tackle mine, but if I part facing uphill it will leak when it's cold out.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 03:20 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
The transmission connector sleeve will leak fluid. It doesn't damage the harness, just leaks out slowly. Eventually it will leak enough to cause problems with the transmission, but it takes a long time. Its on the passenger side of the transmission towards the rear and easy to see without a lift.

As a general rule, I recommend cutting all of Land Rovers recommended maintenance schedules in half.For example, the coolant is Dex-cool which is a 5 year coolant. Land Rover recommends changing it ever 10 years.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 04:56 PM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

I have a 2012 LR4 with 85K miles that I am getting ready to list on auto trader for $28K if anyone is interested. Its been a great car for our family. Has a warranty until 100K miles or end of 2016. Also has a roof rack and rear ladder on it. If anyone is interested send me a PM.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 05:06 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_eaze View Post
I have a 2012 LR4 with 85K miles that I am getting ready to list on auto trader for $28K if anyone is interested. Its been a great car for our family. Has a warranty until 100K miles or end of 2016. Also has a roof rack and rear ladder on it. If anyone is interested send me a PM.

warranty is a big plus

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions