Lr Hd Vs Ome Hd/md - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 14th, 2005, 07:51 PM
1993 D110
Lr Hd Vs Ome Hd/md

I am in the market for new shocks and springs. I have located many posts on OME shock and spring setups as well as spoken to the fine folks at EE and RN. Of course/unfortunately I get 2 different recommendations based on similar scenarios. So I am looking for either informed opinions or first hand experience on the following.

My vehicle is a pretty stock 93 NAS 110 riding on, what have to be, the original springs and some very tired shocks. My usage will be 80-85% on road with any non pavement travel devoted to providing travel to other interests such as mtn biking, hiking, fishing, etc (100-200lbs of gear + passengers). I use my truck as a daily driver and almost a pickup/work truck on the weekends hauling sod, pavers, rock, etc (200-500lbs of materials)

I plan on sticking with the steel wheels, and like sized rubber (235/85/16 current or 285/75/16-ish future). I am looking for some lift (nothing crazy) and a much better stance. I prefer a stiffer ride than I have now (but with the current shocks/springs anything will be an improvement). I don't want any rear end sag under load, which I know the Boge unit is supposed to offset. I do see some now, but my guess is the 3-4 inches of sag I get under load now is due to shocks/springs and it may be too much for it to compensate for.

Ho (EE) has recommended an OME HD Front MD Rear setup with OME Heavy Duty Nitrochargers. RN on the other hand says, yeah, you could do that, but we recommend LR Heavy Duty springs all around with Bilsteins.

RN has the LR/Bilsteins in stock, but not all of the OME parts. Ho has been waiting on the OME for 6 weeks now and still estimates that I could be 3 or 4 more weeks out.

Does anyone have any thoughts/comments on each of these setups? How do the 2 compare? Which will last longer under the conditions described above. Will the OME be worth the wait?

For those that are reading this that I PM'd, thanks for your information, but since it looks like I may have plenty of time to wait, I thought I would cast a wider net for info. I appologize if this was covered in a previous thread, I did not find anything while searching (or at least after exploring threads based on the title) - I cannot make any promises on hijacked threads.

Old September 14th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor
I'd recommend you have a conversation with Bill @ Great Basin Rovers. He has a wealth of info on springs/shocks. I would use Bilsteins no matter what springs you decide on.

Rob Dassler
SWR Automotive
505-872-7818 (shop)
Old September 14th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW
Well, you're going to get 10 different opinions from 10 people. I've got the stock setup on my 110 and I find it a bit harsh. I will tell you that my 93 LWB has LR HD/Bilsteins and it's a super comfy ride. That's what I need in the 110 as it's a daily driver and people mover.

Best to do is find another 110 with a different setup and try out the ride. I know, tall order but otherwise it's a crap shoot.

Oh...and Bilsteins aren't the universal answer to shocks. I've got Rancho 9000's in the 90 and they're just fine.
Old September 14th, 2005, 11:07 PM
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
Depends what you want......

Bilsteins are stiffer than OMEs.
OMEs are longer than Bilsteins (more travel)

If your Boge unit is working, then stock springs will probably fit your bill nicely. 110 springs are pretty stiff. First I would test the Boge unit. It should comensate for up to 500 lbs. If you don't know how to do that post up and I'll explain.

I would suggest new shocks first. Brand depends on how stiff you like your ride. Decide on springs after that. A good option if for the rear based on your needs is Airlift (or Polyair) bags. It allows you to change the spring rate with load.
Old September 15th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW
I have the LR HD springs & Bilstiens. They are a very good choice for a DD that doesn't see much trail action. Been getting out more so I am considering going to OME's. First, the curent set-up does really well on the street. Body roll is reduced and the truck handles really nicely. However, the ride can get a little harsh with the HD springs. They need a certain amoutn of unsprung weight to ride nicely. I have a winch bumper upfornt and some other bling so they ride fairly well. Read the article in the Frequently Stated Misconceptions. They have a nice peice about when to use a HD type of spring.

Anyway, been thinking about going to OME and getting a larger tire anyway, so OME is the way to go.

Old September 15th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW
You know, everyone says Bilsteins are stiffer than most - and I guess it's true. However, that RR ride is great and not stiff at all. I'll compare truck weights and see where I'm at

Again, my 90 setup with OME's and Rancho's on soft is nice (especially with some weight in the back) so perhaps that setup in a 110 should be just right. And I can still dial it up a bit if it needs to be stiffer.

The Boge's fine when it works - simpler and less problematic than air bags. Just replace it. if you go with non-LR springs and the lift is too much then the Boge would be premanently expnded to some degree and, probably, affect its function. ??? Most simply remove it with aftermarket springs.

I just took a look at EE's info on springs and they list the 762 as a 3" lift on a 90. That may explain my pinion backlash problem. I always thought they were 2" lift as that's what I was shooting for but look slike I'll need to swap them out for 764's. Damn!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions