LR Genuine vs. Britpart Springs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 4th, 2014, 06:33 PM
ben little
ben little
1986 ex-MOD 110

LR Genuine vs. Britpart Springs

Searched... Didn't find much.

I ordered what I thought were genuine springs (same part numbers/ colors) and when I open the box, they're Britpart. What's the deal? Same PN and colors... Just have Britpart stickers.

Anyone know if these are the same springs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
No, Genuine springs only come with genuine labels on every spring.
Old March 4th, 2014, 06:53 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
No, Genuine springs only come with genuine labels on every spring.
And a fancy paint scheme that makes you call RN on a Saturday morning to decipher.

Old March 4th, 2014, 06:57 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
And a fancy paint scheme that makes you call RN on a Saturday morning to decipher.
Ben's shocks have the paint. The paint scheme, by the way, can be decoded here:

http://red90.ca/rovers/springinfo.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old March 4th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Haha, if someone called me Saturday morning at RN for that info I'd just go to Red's site for the info anyways. Very comprehensive and well done.
Old March 4th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Scottyoh
Enigma RnR
'87 127"
D-90 Source Vendor

Britpart sells a lot of items bought from the same manufacturers LR is supplied by.

Old March 4th, 2014, 07:39 PM
ben little
ben little
1986 ex-MOD 110

Specifically:

Front - NRC9448 (blue/red), NRC9449 (yellow/white)
Rear - NRC6904 (red/green), NRC6389 (red/red)

My Britpart springs have the correct PN/ colors... Curious.

Old March 4th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
This is what they should look like-
http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDe...ERS-SIDE-FRONT

LR tag will either be taped directly onto the spring, or on a piece of twine tied to the spring.
Old March 4th, 2014, 10:34 PM
ben little
ben little
1986 ex-MOD 110

Old March 4th, 2014, 10:58 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Judging by the immense amount of other britpart parts in that photo, I'm guessing they're just britpart replacement springs.
Old March 5th, 2014, 08:31 AM
ben little
ben little
1986 ex-MOD 110

Thanks for your professional opinion, Zack.

I'm not questioning whether they're Britpart. I'm questioning why they are identical to Genuine springs and if it's possible they are produced by the same company.

Regardless. I'm shipping them back and reordering.
Old March 5th, 2014, 08:43 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I had a UK vendor do that to me with a different part. I selected the genuine part and they shipped a britpart part. When I asked them about it they said oh sorry we were out of the GEN part and substituted the britpart.

I went genuine because it was a hard to replace part and paid the additional ~$120 USD over the britpart but they never refunded the money to me until inquired about it.
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben little View Post
Thanks for your professional opinion, Zack.

I'm not questioning whether they're Britpart. I'm questioning why they are identical to Genuine springs and if it's possible they are produced by the same company.

Regardless. I'm shipping them back and reordering.
Sorry Ben, I mistook the question and probably shouldn't have responded that late at night.

While I can't comment on their actual metallurgy, here is what I can contribute.

Old March 5th, 2014, 11:08 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Nice detail.
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
I had a UK vendor do that to me with a different part. I selected the genuine part and they shipped a britpart part. When I asked them about it they said oh sorry we were out of the GEN part and substituted the britpart.

I went genuine because it was a hard to replace part and paid the additional ~$120 USD over the britpart but they never refunded the money to me until inquired about it.
Same has happened to me but with hinges.
Old March 5th, 2014, 12:29 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Sexiest Genuine Parts photo ever.

------ Follow up post added March 5th, 2014 11:30 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
This has happened to me several times with Atlantic British and even at Rovers North before I started asking about it. These days, I ask the sales rep to verify in the warehouse that I'm getting Genuine. It's especially annoying when it's quality-important pieces like hub seals or clutch master cylinders.

/
/
/
/
Old March 5th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Sexiest Genuine Parts photo ever.

------ Follow up post added March 5th, 2014 11:30 AM ------

This has happened to me several times with Atlantic British and even at Rovers North before I started asking about it. These days, I ask the sales rep to verify in the warehouse that I'm getting Genuine. It's especially annoying when it's quality-important pieces like hub seals or clutch master cylinders.
Anything recently? At one point we had substituted Proline hardware on a door hinge kit, but adjusted the price and made a note of it not being gen. Certainly nothing since I've been here(last 3 years) have been sold as Genuine and been anything but.
Old March 5th, 2014, 12:47 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
My genuine 200tdi crankshaft seal (from a company called Dowty) was in a britpart blue bag. I'm guessing that britpart's sticker is their version of the "blue bag" for parts like springs.

My guess is that Britpart doesn't manufacture anything themselves. They are a parts distributor and they get parts of various types from various manufacturers. The British seem to call copies of the originals "pattern parts" and originals are "genuine". I've seen the suffix "G" used sometimes to denote the genuine version of a part number (e.g. 1071023 and 1071023G) but there seems to be a lot of variability here.

Some manufacturers put actual printed markings on their springs - for example, my Terrafirma springs have the words "Terrafirma - TF027V" printed all around the spring, and are powdercoated as well. It's too bad the Land Rover genuine parts don't have these sorts of markings.
Old March 5th, 2014, 02:12 PM
ben little
ben little
1986 ex-MOD 110

Thanks for the input, guys.

Zack, thanks for the measurements and detailed pics. These springs are not the same.
Old March 5th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I've seen the suffix "G" used sometimes to denote the genuine version of a part number (e.g. 1071023 and 1071023G) but there seems to be a lot of variability here.
In Britpart speak.... "G" represents OEM. They will normally us an "LR" suffix for genuine. Inside the Britpart price sheet it will be a little more clear. There is a column that says "Britpart" or "OEM" or the name of the actual manufacturer. On these springs, they do not show an OEM option, so I very much doubt these are meant to be OEM.

How much did you pay? The list price of the BP items is 25% of the list price of the Land Rover parts. http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product...ING-FRONT.html This is a reasonable number for retail pricing.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
genuine, part