LR Certificate of Authenticity - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 21st, 2014, 07:45 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

well.ok got call back today from head of legal at ARB.. seems you can NOT register the LR diesels in California any more.. according to the new ARB law.. seems they are now in line with the GAS grey market imports.. and anything 1976 has to be SMOG tested.. NOW.. the only exemption is that the buyer has owned the LR diesel for TWO years.. out of state BEFORE moving to Calli.. damn confusing there.. later bc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2014, 07:51 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
well.ok got call back today from head of legal at ARB.. seems you can NOT register the LR diesels in California any more.. according to the new ARB law.. seems they are now in line with the GAS grey market imports.. and anything 1976 has to be SMOG tested.. NOW.. the only exemption is that the buyer has owned the LR diesel for TWO years.. out of state BEFORE moving to Calli.. damn confusing there.. later bc
Great info but reading your posts makes my head hurt. Basic sentence structure?
Old March 21st, 2014, 08:11 PM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
yea.. I forgot about the direct import rule there.. I know about Miniguy dba. lewis motors..vs ARB..and really made ARB mad.and they sued him and won..and this started the LR problems on direct imports.. fyi.. if you need legal US title just call joe holmes at www.its-titles.com Joe can provide Vermont or Montana TAG AND TITLE for small fee.. and this will cure your Calli DMV problems ( I hope).. I have QUIT selling cars to California PERIOD.. later bc
I had a bad experience with ITS-titles, long story short, called them, set forms and $600.00 money order, no title, called them many times, no call back, I would not recommend them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2014, 08:34 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Edit...
Old March 21st, 2014, 08:39 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

well dont read it?/ btw. joe holmes was in hospital for six months.he is NOW back..might call him. again.. later bc
Old March 21st, 2014, 08:47 PM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope he is ok, I'll call him on Monday, maybe he will refund my $600.00. I'll let you know,
Old March 21st, 2014, 10:32 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

caveman dave.. I known joe holmes for many years.and never had any probems with him.. his daughter was running ITS while he was gone..plus he does 200 plus titles a WEEK... and he is fart.. just like me.. think he just turned 75....later bc
Old March 26th, 2014, 04:04 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

well.. stupic me NOTE the spelling of stupid.. guess joe holmes has done RUNNER.. and www.its-titles.com is also GONE.. phone number also disconnected. later bc
Old March 26th, 2014, 04:42 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
The web is filled with threads stating what a crook Joseph Holmes is. The BBB gave his business a F rating with over 250 filed complaints.
When people show you who they are..... believe them.
Old March 26th, 2014, 05:23 PM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

I tried to use ITS title because many on this site said he was legit. I took a shot and lost money, when I did I tried to let others know so they would not loose money also. That's ok, live and learn, $600 will not change my life one way or the other, I've already gotten over it.
Old March 26th, 2014, 06:43 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport

Registry
I used maine-ly titles, now http://www.getnewtitle.com for my Series III. They worked great. I mailed pictures, a check, inspection form done by the local P.D. and a inspection done by a ASE certified mechanic, and they mailed me back plates and the registration.

You have to go through more steps after that for a title, but I just needed registration for it to transfer it to RI plates (we don't do titles after a certain year).
Old March 26th, 2014, 07:28 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

well... phone is NOW working. call it your self.. 1.702.456.4027 in las vegas.. nv,,
Old May 2nd, 2014, 02:05 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
So would I be okay if the diesel 110 I would be registering in California was previously registered for well over a year in Texas and has a Texas title?
Old May 2nd, 2014, 02:15 PM
l.a.rover
handy andy
73 Land Rover 88 Lightweight

Registry
been there.... done that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf90 View Post
So would I be okay if the diesel 110 I would be registering in California was previously registered for well over a year in Texas and has a Texas title?
save yourself some time... CARB.. is changing the emissions laws.... now requiring used vehicles to comply with california air act....

there have been several board members, including myself, who have recieved letters , from ca dmv, stating that you need to get a letter from the manufacture stating that it meets federal safety and emission guidelines... COAs or Heritage Trust letters are not cutting it... and LRNA or its uk counter part wont help out

the best thing to do is register it in Arizona.....
Old May 2nd, 2014, 02:21 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

If you do it in AZ, you will need a location out of the Phoenix or Tucson areas. These places require annual smog checks. Same for Las Vegas and Reno, if you're considering that direction. SLC has smog too.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 02:44 PM
l.a.rover
handy andy
73 Land Rover 88 Lightweight

Registry
az titling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
If you do it in AZ, you will need a location out of the Phoenix or Tucson areas. These places require annual smog checks. Same for Las Vegas and Reno, if you're considering that direction. SLC has smog too.
first of all... you need provide an AZ address for registration purposed...

secondly.... if you title it as a collector vehicle and provide proof of classic car insurance then
emissions testing is waived
Old May 17th, 2014, 08:53 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
LR Certificate of Authenticity

I just came across this thread and my issue is the same if not worse than l.a.rover's, in that my truck is a 1986 Right Hand drive with the 3.5L carburetted gas engine. I bought mine with a clean Wisconsin title and had it shipped to California not knowing about the emissions compliance, and assuming that since it was legally imported and titled in another state, there wouldn't be an issue.

My question to the Gurus is: would a conversion to the Fuel Injected version of that same engine (which became available in the US on the Range Rover classic in 1987) make the truck California legal and thus allow it to pass smog, and thus satisfy California CARB and the DMV?

I am not talking about a complete engine swap, but rather a carburator to F.I. swap only.
Defenderless, for now!
Old May 17th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by samer0214 View Post
I just came across this thread and my issue is the same if not worse than l.a.rover's, in that my truck is a 1986 Right Hand drive with the 3.5L carburetted gas engine. I bought mine with a clean Wisconsin title and had it shipped to California not knowing about the emissions compliance, and assuming that since it was legally imported and titled in another state, there wouldn't be an issue.

My question to the Gurus is: would a conversion to the Fuel Injected version of that same engine (which became available in the US on the Range Rover classic in 1987) make the truck California legal and thus allow it to pass smog, and thus satisfy California CARB and the DMV?

I am not talking about a complete engine swap, but rather a carburator to F.I. swap only.
There is quite a bit more to it. Catalytic converters, evaporative controls, fume tight fuel tank, charcoal canister etc. You would then have to submit to and pass CA testing.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 17th, 2014, 09:18 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

You would need to add catalytic converters as well.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old May 17th, 2014, 09:18 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Thanks for the quick reply Uncle Douglas. I figured as much (on the Catalytics, fuel tank, ECU, etc), but I guess my question is, would California CARB allow that and accept it?
Defenderless, for now!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions