Defender Source Forum banner

LR 90 (not defender) Speakers?

Tags
90 speakers
2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Mike Hippert 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 1986 LR90 there is no stock placment for speakers i have placed 6" units in the roof lineing above the driver's and passengers head however i keep blowing driveunits as its a 2.5 N/A diesel and is very noisey, does anybody have any reccomndations as to replacement speaker types? I like the idea of fitting one of the new sub enclosures on the rear door, I'm using a clarion head unit and a JBL GTO2000 amp to drive the speakers, theres only 70mm clearnce above the lineing

#2 ·
Are you blowing speakers or the amplifier? I would recomen checking out crutchfield out for speakers or amps. If you are blowing the amp you may not have the input level set correctly. If you are blowing speakers then I would say the speakers are not rated for a high enough power.

#3 ·
I keep taking speakers out the amps fine as is the head unit. I'm a sound engineer by trade, but i've never really voyaged into the realms of small speakers, I was trying to find out if anybody had some good sujestions from experience, i was looking at sony XSHA1326. They look reasonable by spec of course they dont give the compleet specs but by comaprison to others on the market they seem like good value. Previously I had (dont laugh) a skoda but it was kitted out with P.A drive units (precision devices, JBL & EV) but I can't get anything thats less than 65mm deep with a reasonable power handeling. I dont want Kwatts but something tha'll be heared over the 2.5NA desiel, The amp will deliver about 45watts RMS per channel before distortion

#4 ·
HHHMMM. Hard to say. If you were in the US it would be easier for me as we would be looking at the same stuff. But for some odd reason when I search for those speakers the only sites that have them are in the UK. I would think that 45 watts RMS is not realy enough. I would try for 100 watts, ideally you don't want to be at more then 80% of full power for anything (speakers, amp, or head unit) if you are having to turn it up all the way now then even with better speakers the amp may not be enough. what about making boxes for another type of speaker, so you could try a different size ( 6"x9" is very common over here) that can handel more power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.