LPG addition to Diesel motors - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 2nd, 2006, 09:02 AM
little black duck
Michael Jude
2004/D90 Td5

LPG addition to Diesel motors

Hi All

I have a question about adding LPG to a Diesel Defender (2003 TD5) and would like to hear if anyone has experimented or heard any stories (good or bad)

From all the information I have read so far it sounds like there is an extra 30% power and 50% torque avaliable with no additional fuel consumption. I have found a local fitter that has added LPG to many, many TDi's but would like to see if anyone else has had any experiences.

Also if there are any options to fit long range tanks under the vehicle without encroaching upon the avaliable ground clearance.

Hopefully you can help me or help with a direction.

Thanks

Michael
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2006, 11:40 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

adding LPG to a diesel is similar to adding NOS to a gas engine... yes you will see massive power gains cheaply but you run the risk of blowing your motor and at the very least more wear.. LR diesels are robust a last a long time, this woudl definitaly reduce the time to rebuild... If your not racing I wouldn't do it.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 05:34 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
adding LPG to a diesel is similar to adding NOS to a gas engine... yes you will see massive power gains cheaply but you run the risk of blowing your motor and at the very least more wear.. LR diesels are robust a last a long time, this woudl definitaly reduce the time to rebuild... If your not racing I wouldn't do it.
I have done a ton of research on this. Although the information available is not for the TDi, most of what I have read is different from what you said. Of course, if you inject way too much propane, it can be damaging, just like injecting way too much fuel. Usually people report no significant change in EGT's. Sometimes the EGT's actually drop due to the engine running more efficiently. There is no proof of added wear, other than the affect more power has on your drive train.

A few things to consider though, itís technically true that you will not burn anymore Diesel, but you will burn propane of course, so your actual energy consumption does go up. Also, itís VERY unlikely that the power gains will be as high as 50% torque, 30% HP. You will most likely see a gain in HP of 15 to 20% and 25% torque. It could be less, it depends on how efficient the motor is to start with.

That being said, I think itís cool and worth the $$. I have wanted to do it for a while but now that I donít drive on the street, I donít think I need the extra power.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 3rd, 2006, 07:15 AM
little black duck
Michael Jude
2004/D90 Td5

Thank you for the reply's

I agree that the numbers seem larger that I first expected and before I spend the money on something that may change the lifecycle of my motor I wish to be armed with as much information as possible.

I am not sure how the pricing relates in the US but in Australia the cost of Diesel/Petrol is about 3 times that of LPG/Propane and so the costs seem to ballance out if I travel around 80,000km (50,000 miles).

Under normal driving I find that I have sufficient go to tackle most obsticles wether on the road or the trails but the vehicle is also used to tow a 2 ton trailer from time to time, that together with the ability to keep up with Toyota Land Cruisers on the road would be nice.

I am attaching a link to a site that has deals with Landy's and the conversions. the figures on there own are always open to induvidual's interpretation but with the same vehicle on the same Dino the proportions from before to after reflect the previously mentioned figures.
http://www.dieselgas.com.au/vehicles.htm

The other side of this would be to help extend the range that I have available with my vehicle from 400-500km per tank (60litre) to 700-800km with an additional (28 litre)LPG/propane tank. What size tanks do you get under a D-90 in the states?

I hope that this makes sence

Michael
Old September 4th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey,

I took a look at the link and its a cool site. There is something odd on it though. The vehicle they are showing says it s a 300TDi but the numbers they used are 2.5 N.A. numbers -

Standard Power: (red line)
66hp @ 3350rpm
620lbft @ 2300rpm

DieselGas Power: (green line)
88.9hp @ 3600rpm (+34%)
930lbft @ 2450rpm (+50%)

The TDi will have 111 HP stock. It will make a much bigger difference on a non-turbo motor so it explains the larger numbers, but there are a lot of other big gains listed so maybe you will see those type of numbers. It seems high to me though.

As to the tank, I am assuming that you have a side mounted Diesel tank? About 14 gallons if I remember (sorry, I can't think in Liters!). So if you want to fill up your propane tank everytime you fill up your regular tank, you really only need a 5 gallon tank. This was one of the reasons that I never got around to doing this. I wanted a tank to fit under the rear and in order to get one I was going to have to have something made and it was big $$$.
Good luck with everything. If you do it, please do a writeup on here for us. Thanks

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 24th, 2006, 11:52 PM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

I've been thinking of adding propane injection to my 2.5NA but it doesn't seem to be worth it without a turbo.... so I'm going to turbo charge the 2.5. I'm nuts but I want to see what will happen and it will not cost much to try it out

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel, motor