LPG adapter - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 24th, 2012, 03:20 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
LPG adapter

Does anybody know where I can find one of these here in the U.S.? Propane is only $2 a gallon here! I need an adapter for my British LPG filler to convert it to 1 3/4 inch ACME filler. Just like the one here on this website. http://www.autogasshop.co.uk/lpgauto...apters-1-c.asp

I believe it's the flush filler to 1 3/4 inch ACME. Anybody stationed in England that could grab one of these for me and MPS it to Cannon AFB and I'll pay pal you.

Cheers,
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-06-08 18 18 59.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	50709  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2012, 03:29 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Why can't you order it from that web site?

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old April 24th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

holy crap $2 a gallon? im paying 3.40 a gallon when i buy 400 gallons or more cash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2012, 06:58 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Yeah I haven't seen near $2 either unless you sign up with a distributor, have a fleet and can get the tax credit as well. Even then it was $3 or so.
Old April 24th, 2012, 07:35 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
When I tried to order off the website, it said that they only shipped to British or European addresses, otherwise I would have done that. $2.10 a gallon here in Clovis, NM to be exact, not bad!
Old April 25th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Andy, why can't you remove the UK beyonet fitting and replace it with a US style fitting.

If you do run on propane you will need to drain the vaporiser more often as propane is normally much "dirtier" than LPG, I ran on free Propane for over a year.. good times.!

you should find the parts you want locally try a forklift service place as many forklifts run driectly from propane cylinders & will therefore have the correct fittings.

If you are stuck & know the fitting you want you can get it mailed to me & i'll forward it on.

regards all
Gren
Old April 25th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Dumb question. CNG is more common for vehicles than propane. What is your vehicle set up to run on?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 25th, 2012, 11:55 AM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
Thanks all for the inputs. A board member stationed at Mildenhall has offered to be the surrogate of the part I need. @Rocky, my truck is set up to run on normal gasoline or propane. There is an electric switch up front to switch back and forth between either and also a simple electronic gauge to indicate how much propane remains in the tank. As mentioned before in runs under pressure from the tank through a vaporizer into a special modded piece fitted to both carbs. That's about the extent of my knowledge, but I'm sure someone on here is much smarter than me.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:12 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
Finally got my part in today and filled up with Propane. Thanks to fellow board member Mgreenspan for being the courier for the part. However, when I switch to LPG every now and then it idles way too low. I think it is running too rich due to the high altitude here. Anybody on this board know anything about LPG setups or how to change the mixture settings?
Old May 23rd, 2012, 04:42 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Andy,
Before you do anything warm the car up and drain the vaporiser, there will be a screw or bolt in the bottom of the housing, slow idle & poor pick up when running on gas(LPG) is a symtom of the diaphram being slowed down by excess oil.

You change the mixture on LPG systems by adjusting tension on the diaphram in the vaporiser, there should be a screw or small bolt set into the center of one of the faces, have a look to see what brand of vaporiser you have and then google the set up instructions.

When running on gas I found the ignition needed to be advanced for best running I used to do it by ear after I had serviced the car.

Regards
Gren
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:18 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
Awesome, thanks for the info! It ended up being a little more simple. Turns out I was switching to LPG too quickly from petrol. Once I allowed the normal gas to "run out" of the carbs in the center switch position, I switch over to LPG just before it conked out. Once I do that it runs perfectly. I think it was too rich from running on both regular gas and LPG at the same time which was a result of not waiting before switching.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions