Lpg? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 4th, 2010, 04:09 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
Lpg?

Wondering if anyone out there has an LPG rover. I just moved back from overseas where LPG was quite prevalent. My 110 has a dual fuel system where I can go between gas and LPG and was wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase it. I had heard U-Haul sells it but don't know if the filler is the same here in the US as Europe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Defender50th
James
'94 NAS AA Yellow

People only use LPG as it is much cheaper. I think its taxed alot less so is 0.69 litre where as petrol is over 1.20 litre. You get more power on petrol and runs better on petrol.
If you have a cheap easy source of LPG then great, if not stick with your cheap petrol
Old November 4th, 2010, 05:38 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
yeah, petrol seems to be much cheaper here than LPG, it was of course the opposite overseas, sticking to that sounds the easiest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2010, 05:48 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

the hype here now is NCG.
I'm thinking about it for a 4.6 D2 ...
Old November 4th, 2010, 06:36 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Can an LPG (or dual) fueled vehicle also run on CNG?

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/...g_propane.html
http://www.cngprices.com/
Old November 4th, 2010, 07:12 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
I personally have only heard of dual fueled LPG, not CNG, they could exist though, who knows, a lot of large buses seem to run on CNG
Old November 4th, 2010, 08:30 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Here is the situation down here right now:

premium gasoline: about 150 DOP per galon (4.05 USD)

CNG: 30 DOP per galon (0.81 USD)

That's why i'm seriously thinking about it.
Old November 4th, 2010, 08:50 PM
jhobbs
Jay Hobbs
1995 D-90 SW LRNA/10 (**sold**)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpick View Post
Wondering if anyone out there has an LPG rover. I just moved back from overseas where LPG was quite prevalent. My 110 has a dual fuel system where I can go between gas and LPG and was wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase it. I had heard U-Haul sells it but don't know if the filler is the same here in the US as Europe.
Worked for a company that had a delivery truck that ran off of LPG. We had to get it filled at one of the propane distribution centers that went out and filled the residential tanks. Might try one of those places in your area.
Old November 4th, 2010, 09:31 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
IMHO petrol engines run much smoother on LPG ... we used to run a few cars in London to avoid the congestion charge and when when you switch over it was definitely smoother.

LPG is also called Propane ....

Even if it costs about the same as petrol you could use it as a range extender!
Old November 5th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

hi Andy when I converted my v8 to run on LPG, my fuel bills went from 70pw to 22 apart from the tank in the back it was great, i ran it for 5 years without a problem until i snapped the chassis.
I have also run it on propane a few times as i had access to lots of it and a hand pump, however propane is very dirty and i had to clean the evaporator often as it would fill with oil dissolved into the propane.

I have 2 mates that run their vehicles solely on propane, one runs a s3 based v8 trials motor he uses a small bottle with a valve converter, and the other one is just plain tight he has a motor home that runs of the propane bottles that also run the oven & hob.

I think it would run on CNG or even hairspay if the ignition was adjusted correctly.

regards

Gren
Old November 5th, 2010, 06:36 PM
johan
johan
2009 Range Rover

At least in Europe, when used for car fuel, LPG is a mix of butane and propane. With lower temp there will be more propane.

CNG, Compressed Natural Gas, cannot be used in normal petrol engines. It will need a compression ratio similar to a diesel (20:1). Basicly adding an ignition system to a diesel engine together with the right mixer will lett it run on CNG.
Expensive conversion so hardly used.
Old November 5th, 2010, 10:27 PM
berti1554
Robert Klima
84/110

Basically you can convert every petrol engine to CNG or LPG and this is very common in Europe. Depening on where you are in Europe you get either LPG (e.g. Germany and the whole northern part) or CNG (e.g. in Austria - that's where I'm from) much cheaper than gas (which costs double or more than over here). You get conversion kits that fit all gasoline engines, you only have to program the fuel and ignition maps. Converted engines (esp CNG) don't run as fuel efficient as factory installed CNG engines but it's still worth doing it when you make more than 25k miles/yr, depending on the car. An LPG conversion is much cheaper than a CNG conversion. As LGP is stored at much lower pressure (less than 300psi) the fuel tanks and the whole system is much easier and cheaper to install (CNG is stored at up to 2900psi)

Robert
Old November 6th, 2010, 08:31 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan
CNG, Compressed Natural Gas, cannot be used in normal petrol engines.
it is done on a regular basis here. Tomasseto Achille kits.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions