Lower Dash Repair - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 29th, 2010, 11:23 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Lower Dash Repair

I have some damage to the lower dash from PO switches. So far I have filled them with silicone. I would like to fix them as much as possible without having to remove the dash.

Any ideas on what to use? One idea is that tool handle rubber spray in black. I think I can stamp the texture into the spray before it sets up but not 100% on it. Would really like to keep it cheap so I am tyring not to call the interior repair guys.

Thanks,
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TCO_042710_932.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	27204  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2010, 11:33 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have seen/used an DIY vinyl repair kit that has a resin and different texture patches that could work. Takes some patience but you can get decent results...

http://www.eastwood.com/vinyl-and-da...ir-system.html
Old April 29th, 2010, 12:20 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
First, I'd remove the silly-cone, since that is not a good substrate for a repair.

Personally, if I had to do it without removing the dash, I would use plastic hole-plugs from Lowe's or McMaster.com - these usually have a texture on them. With the large hole I would enlarge it and use a rectangular plug like the one up under the left side of the instrument binnacle.

The best fix would be to glue in metal plates from behind and use one of these vinyl repair kits to make it look nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2016, 05:04 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
just found this old thread and I'm reviving it, since I have a lower dash that has a cutout in it I want to do away with. repairing the underlying metal piece that was cutout is straightforward. but the vinyl repair piece and looking good is the challenge. any further recommendation on how to make it look good, durable and seamless?

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 1st, 2016, 09:26 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
just found this old thread and I'm reviving it, since I have a lower dash that has a cutout in it I want to do away with. repairing the underlying metal piece that was cutout is straightforward. but the vinyl repair piece and looking good is the challenge. any further recommendation on how to make it look good, durable and seamless?
repair and then re-cover with leather??
Old February 1st, 2016, 09:29 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
repair and then re-cover with leather??
I don't like leather...

And so does Choo Choo! Ayyyeeeeeagghhhhh!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
dash