low beams out - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 18th, 2012, 11:40 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

low beams out

I'm stumped.
Problem: Low beams out, high beams work (intermittently).
Weird thing is the switch is working as it should (tested), flash high beams work all the time, all running lights work fine, fuses OK.
I swapped the relay out, no change. Cleaned terminals, no change. Looked behind the main harness, nothing loose.

Any advise? As per usual, I'm leaving for a trip to baja in a week and have no time for this...

thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2012, 03:40 AM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
Hey Steve,
Sounds like the dip/indicator switch is acting up? You mentioned the headlight switch works, the relay (presumably) works, the fuses are good, and I'm guessing the bulbs are good too? The way I understand it is, the feed goes from the headlight switch (blue) to the relay, then to the dip switch, is split into blue/white for the main (brights) and blue/red for the dip (low beams). Then it passes through the fuse box and comes out as blue/pink for left dip, and blue/black for right dip; blue/grey for left main and blue/orange for right main. Maybe you can test the feed at different sections of the wiring and see where you're losing power?
Mack
Old March 20th, 2012, 02:33 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

And Mack wins the prize!
It was the dip switch. The contact was just not doing it. I bent it and now it works but I need a new one.

Over the course of it I did find a crappy ground on the back of the relay at the fuse box, I had been looking for my bad ground for a long time.

Jeff- Funny thing is this happened when upgrading the harness. It was working fine, but (i think) when I took the load out of the system it did not have enough umpth to make the connection through the dirty loose leads.... well thats my theory. All working now on a new harness, and the lights are brighter.

...funny thing is now it wont start. I bet I jarred the relay. When it rains it pours.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions