Low Beam Headlights Quit - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 15th, 2003, 10:16 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Low Beam Headlights Quit

I was driving tonight, and my headlights turned themselves off. Here is the complete description:

Parking Lights come on in switch position 1 - dash lights too
Headlights, parking lts & Dash lights dont function in switch pos 2
Hi-Beams function in flash mode, but not continuous mode.

Is this an occurance that other people have experienced? Did I burn a relay or the switch? Maybe I can just get by with some contact cleaner or tightening a fitting?

Thanks - thought I would at least ask before tearing apart the truck.

THX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2003, 10:49 PM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA
97 ST WHITE MODS SUPERCHARGED

Registry
I had the same problem(8-01) and the dealer stated the switch on the column was bad due to my headlights being aftermarket upgrades.The dealer changed the switch under warranty and I have not had the same problem again.
Old October 15th, 2003, 11:02 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I am with Jorge, I would check the fuse and relay first by changing them with another ( any auto relay will do they are only $5 at the auto store and it is a good idea to keep a spare), this seems to be a comon problem with the original switches going bad. Jorge if the Dealer said that the headlights being aftermarket upgrades he either has no idea what he is talking about or he was tring to get you to pay for the switch. The power for the headlights is pulled through the relay, the only thing the switch does is turn the relay on and off. The stock relay is good for 30 amps. 30 amps X 12 volts gives us 360 watts 360/2 gives us 180 watts so as long as your headlights are less then 180 watts each you are cool .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2003, 08:14 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Thanks guys, I'll try the fuse first (of course) and they swap out the relay. Hopefully I can get this resolved today.
Old October 16th, 2003, 09:04 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I figured it out - the switch had a meltdown. one of the leads got loose and melted out one of the contacts. I glopped some solder all over it to get the connection back, but I'm going to go to radio shack this weekend and see if I cant rebuild the whole swich with some mica board and new contacts. Thanks for your help guys.
Old January 28th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
I read the other threads in my search results for "low beam" and this thread seems to be the closest match to what my 90 is having an issue with...

My PS low beam is not working but the DS is. My hi-beams both work in flash and continous mode and all lights (exterior and dash) seem to function normally. Went to pepboys just now and bought a Sylvania replacement headlamp but I'm still without PS low beam on the new headlamp.

Could this be the headlamp switch like Jim had an issue with? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 28th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Nope, if one side works then the switch is working! I would check the connector for the headlamp and if it looks ok then I would fallow it back to looking for cuts in the wire. Since the high beam works that indicates to me that both the ground wire and the high beam wire are fine, so you only need to trace back the low beam wire. Do you have a volt meter? That way you can figure out which wire is the low beam wire?
Old January 29th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Thanks for the input Mike... I'll check tomorrow and post up some results. I'm kinda thinking the same thing about possibly the wire for the PS headlamp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, lights