Lots of oil in the air filter and now it won't start - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 5th, 2014, 12:29 AM
ceedy
Chris
1989 Defender 110

Registry
Lots of oil in the air filter and now it won't start

I got stranded today in my 89 2.5TD (19j) while on vacation with the family.

It died as I came to stop and I couldn't get it started again. I was in the middle of nowhere (these things never happen a block from my house). After some troubleshooting, I noticed that the air filter was drenched in oil and that there was some diesel on the ground. I removed the air filter and after some encouragement the engine fired up and sounded normal. I cleaned up the filter as best as I could, put it back and managed to drive it 20 miles back to civilization. The engine was seriously under powered during this drive. It died again at the first light I hit and I tried to pull out the filter to start it like before with no luck. There is more oil in the filter (I think I am down a quart of oil today). At this point, the engine turns over but never starts to catch.

I also determined that the diesel leak is from where a fuel line enters the block.

I'm still a long way from home (250 miles) and I don't think there are any Land Rover mechanics in Del Rio, Texas so I'm looking at towing the truck home. Before I do so, I thought I would see if anyone has any ideas of what is wrong.

Could the leak cause me not to have enough pressure to inject the fuel? Or could I have a blown a piston ring and would that cause it not to start? Or both?

As a side note, I brought this on myself as 10 minutes before it died I was talking to my wife about putting in a 200TDI in a year or two.

Thanks in advance for any help,
--Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2014, 12:42 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Lets talk about the fuel issue first. Fuel doesn't enter the block. It goes from the tank to the lift pump to the filter to the injector pump to the top of the cylinders via 4 pipes. Can you post a picture or two of where the fuel is leaking from?
As for the oil there should be a tube that comes out of the oil cap and drains into the air filter. Is oil blowing out of that hose if you run the engine while it is disconnected?

Edit..... Upon rereading you post, YES the blown ring is pushing oil out of your breather and into the air filter and you have little to no compression in that cylinder so fuel isn't detonating Thats why you are operating at reduced power. Pull the lump and slap in a 200Tdi my friend, it's time.
Old July 5th, 2014, 09:01 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
The air filter covered in oil is a sign of blow by. Engine is tired and part of the explosion is leaking around the pistons. This provoke a pressurization of the block and pushes the oil out. One way is the pipe going to the air filter. Take the oil dipstick out with engine running idle, you should feel pressure coming out. My 19J even pushes out the dipstick by is own pressure! As for the fuel leak, it al depends on "from where it leaks"!
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2014, 09:27 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

As Jeff mentioned you have some serious blow by, but there could be another problem or two on top of that.

If your engine is leaking diesel, air could be getting sucked into the fuel system.
This would account for the cut outs when you stop and the hard starting.
Dave asked for some pictures to try and assist you from afar.
When the engine is warm, a low compression as indicated by the blow by also could be causing or contributing to the slow/no/hard starting.
The other issue could be a clogged fuel filter.

So you need to make some decisions as to how to solve these issues.
The easiest way to solve fuel delivery problem is to add a sedimenter and 12V fuel pump pump back by the tank on the frame rail.
Assuming the fuel line coming from the tank is clear this will provide an adequate fuel supply to the engine.
It will also allow you to see exactly where the fuel is leaking and allow you to formulate a plan to fix the leak (assuming you have one).

Then when the engine is running again, you can decide if you want to replace it and with what engine.
I build Mercedes engine conversion kit for the 90 or 110 to fit the OM617, but am sold out and hoping to get some kits later this summer.
The shop is working on them, but with all their other work progress is slow, but steady.
There are TDI engines around as well.
Mark Garrenton had a low mileage 300TDI for sale.
His handle is EZZZZ give or take a few occurrences of the Z.

Hope this helps.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old July 5th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The oil "blow by" could be a head gasket as well. Take the oil filler off. Does it sound like exhaust noise? Put your hand over the hole. Is it pushing gas out? It is all very hard to diagnose over the internet. You need to proide a lot of information.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 5th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

The lack of power & hard to start issue could be a "nearly plugged" fuel filter.
Old July 5th, 2014, 12:10 PM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

ezzzzzzz- low mileage 300TDi- approximately 58k. Complete except for a/c compressor. Includes new clutch kit, radiator frame, new radiator and intercooler too. Can be shipped via fastenal.
Old July 5th, 2014, 08:35 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Diesel engine need lots of compression to ignite the fuel. If a diesel engine loses compression, starting will be an hard job.. Might be the fuel delivery system but, even with a clog system, no oil will end up on the air filter. Check where the fuel is leaking and take care of it. 'Just might get you back home on your own steam! You'll need to have a compression test with a special diesel engine compression tester. Cheap gauge are for gaz engine and won't reach high enough for diesels.
Swapping to a 2-300 tdi might be about the same price as rebuilding your 19j. Your taste! 19j more tractor and 2-300tdi more civilized but still far from actual!
Old July 6th, 2014, 10:40 AM
ceedy
Chris
1989 Defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Lets talk about the fuel issue first. Fuel doesn't enter the block. It goes from the tank to the lift pump to the filter to the injector pump to the top of the cylinders via 4 pipes. Can you post a picture or two of where the fuel is leaking from?
Sorry I should have been more precise. It is leaking from where it enters the top of cylinders. I attached a picture with a yellow arrow pointing at the leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
As for the oil there should be a tube that comes out of the oil cap and drains into the air filter. Is oil blowing out of that hose if you run the engine while it is disconnected?
Yes, when it was running.

--Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leak.png
Views:	69
Size:	814.9 KB
ID:	98154  
Old July 6th, 2014, 10:43 AM
ceedy
Chris
1989 Defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The oil "blow by" could be a head gasket as well. Take the oil filler off. Does it sound like exhaust noise? Put your hand over the hole. Is it pushing gas out? It is all very hard to diagnose over the internet. You need to proide a lot of information.
I should have done this test when I temporary managed to get it running again but I was more worried about getting back to civilization.

Once I sort out why it won't start I'll try this and report back.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 06:50 AM
Elbee
Lance
1989 110 200tdi

Registry
So what ever happened with it? Found problem? New Engine?
Old August 2nd, 2014, 08:12 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Head gasket problem shouldn't have any impact with the oil on you filter. It will pressurize the coolant system might get some pressurization in you crankcase but usually you can watch your coolant rises in the coolant reservoir. Might just be your starting problem! Check that #1 injector for your fuel leak. Banjo might have gotten loose.

Is your oil level raising? (Coolant going in the oil pan via headgasket)

Is your coolant raising? (Pressurization of your coolant system)

Oil in the coolant (headgasket)

Coolant in the oil (headgasket)

Pressure testing your engine will tell alot but, oil on the air filter with a 19j usually is blowby.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start