Defender Source Forum banner

Lost Ignition Key

4K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Viton 
#1 ·
I lost my only ignition key and haven't been able to find a locksmith who can fabricate a key.

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
I lost my only ignition key and haven't been able to find a locksmith who can fabricate a key. Any suggestions?
Why kind a vehicle?

If you can pull the lock cylinder like on most Rovers and get a blank, it's ridiculously simple to cut to match. You can also find a pre-cut key and rearrange the cylinder pins to match the key.

#8 · (Edited)
Could replace the whole unit with this LR041320 from a number of sources for less than $80 bucks.
It'll be about 50% more IF you buy it from RN.

------ Follow up post added October 22nd, 2016 07:08 PM ------

Tell the locksmith's it's a standard, old style, double sided wafer lock. No electronics.

#13 ·
View attachment 160452

I am not seeing a paper tag. Is it located deeper on the barrel?
From what others have said on this same topic in past threads, is that the tag is closer to the other end of the assembly (nearer the switch) and sometimes has fallen off but laying on the wires in the rear area nearer the switch.

------ Follow up post added October 23rd, 2016 09:06 AM ------

Use a spoon or order a new barrel. Probably you have a different key for the doors and it could be a good time to convert to a single key.
Getting a new ignition lock might not be a bad idea, especially if you're only spending less than $90. To do the doors to the same key (and to do it properly) would require new door locks too as the older barrels are too short for the longer ignition key. I know others here use the older shot door locks/barrels but the key will not insert fully and there is a good chance you could twist the key & break it in the door AND not have an ignition key then to start the vehicle. The new, longer door locks were not available until the 2006 model year Defenders.

Regardless, the rear door lock was never "up-graded" and still will require a different and shorter key.

#12 ·
Use a spoon or order a new barrel. Probably you have a different key for the doors and it could be a good time to convert to a single key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.