Lost all keys to defenders - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 28th, 2015, 09:34 PM
asif k.

Lost all keys to defenders

My two defenders came out of the port today but they keys are nowhere to be found, shipping company lost them. So I would like some insight on this scenario,

I see the barrels and keys are available for the door locks quite cheaply, is there a barrel and key for the ignition or do I have to replace the entire ignition lock assembly?

Is there any place that can provide an ignition key code with the VIN and supply a new key?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2015, 09:44 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by asif k. View Post
My two defenders came out of the port today but they keys are nowhere to be found, shipping company lost them. So I would like some insight on this scenario,

I see the barrels and keys are available for the door locks quite cheaply, is there a barrel and key for the ignition or do I have to replace the entire ignition lock assembly?

Is there any place that can provide an ignition key code with the VIN and supply a new key?

Thanks.
LR can supply new key with Key code, VIN, and ownership docs - though it may be cheaper to buy a new ignition and door locks...
Old September 28th, 2015, 09:47 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

I'd say it's the shipping companies responsibility to make you "whole". Have them bring in a locksmith to make keys!
Blog;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2015, 09:50 PM
asif k.

The shipping company is responsible for 500 dollars if the ship sinks into the ocean, unless you get insurance. I did get insurance but it doesn't cover minor things like this, only a major loss. I'll obviously ask, but I doubt they have any real liability.
Old September 28th, 2015, 11:46 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignotus View Post
I'd say it's the shipping companies responsibility to make you "whole". Have them bring in a locksmith to make keys!
Absolutely! They won't do anything unless you ask! Then after they say no, ask again. Then demand!

Did your manifest show keys and was it driven to loading positions by persons other than yourself? I'll bet yes! Demand to be made whole! You paid for insurance in addition to the automatic $500 catastrophic so they should be compelled to honor a cost below that amount. I'll bet their first couple answers are no, but I wouldn't quit.

This is ridiculous! The hits just keep on coming! I hope that the rest of your ownership experience is uncharacteristically trouble free. You deserve it! ;-)
Old September 29th, 2015, 09:08 AM
asif k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
Absolutely! They won't do anything unless you ask! Then after they say no, ask again. Then demand!

Did your manifest show keys and was it driven to loading positions by persons other than yourself? I'll bet yes! Demand to be made whole! You paid for insurance in addition to the automatic $500 catastrophic so they should be compelled to honor a cost below that amount. I'll bet their first couple answers are no, but I wouldn't quit.

This is ridiculous! The hits just keep on coming! I hope that the rest of your ownership experience is uncharacteristically trouble free. You deserve it! ;-)
Contacted my shipping agent in Italy, yet to hear anything. New parts for both are 281 plus tax from Rovers North, not too bad if I can manage installation myself. I appreciate your sympathy, but I feel the need to clarify I import these for (a fair) profit and sell quickly, since you said 'ownership experience'. Thanks.
Old September 29th, 2015, 09:52 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Are you going to swap ignition barrels at the customs yard? Bring a battery powered dremel or a drill and extractor set just in case the security bolts are still there.
Old September 29th, 2015, 11:12 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Remove the instrument cluster panel and look for a loose tag connected to the steering column. If you have this tag, it will have the key codes on it and you'll be able to purchase a new set of keys with the codes.
Old September 29th, 2015, 12:08 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rankar View Post
Remove the instrument cluster panel and look for a loose tag connected to the steering column. If you have this tag, it will have the key codes on it and you'll be able to purchase a new set of keys with the codes.
boo-ya!
Old September 30th, 2015, 07:10 PM
asif k.

The keys were found by the shipping company......onboard the ship and this was discovered after the ship left Baltimore bound for Italy. Now I have to wait till Oct 5 for the ship to dock at Livorno, Italy and they will send me the keys by mail. The Captain screwed up and put them in his pocket or something, I will demand they be sent by DHL.
Old September 30th, 2015, 07:24 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Wonder how many rides around the ship they made during the trip
Old September 30th, 2015, 07:38 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif k. View Post
The keys were found by the shipping company......onboard the ship and this was discovered after the ship left Baltimore bound for Italy. Now I have to wait till Oct 5 for the ship to dock at Livorno, Italy and they will send me the keys by mail. The Captain screwed up and put them in his pocket or something, I will demand they be sent by DHL.
Too bad you don't have the keys to the ship.
Old September 30th, 2015, 08:01 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

I wouldn't leave my property at a shipping yard for 2 weeks unattended. Seems penny wise and pound foolish to me. Just my $0.02.
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old September 30th, 2015, 08:13 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
As you said, "they screwed up." So on their dime, have it trailered to a secure location of your choosing if you're going to ride it out.
Old October 1st, 2015, 10:24 AM
asif k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
As you said, "they screwed up." So on their dime, have it trailered to a secure location of your choosing if you're going to ride it out.
They are not in the port anymore, I had them towed out of the port and parked in a private lot as soon as customs cleared them. Only the keys are missing, aside from that they are titled and in my possession.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender