Defender Source Forum banner

Loss oil prime

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  RyanB16 
#1 ·
Hey everyone- Has anyone had luck getting their pump to prime without pulling the pump? I tried packing the pressure relief valve with no luck. Any experience?
Thanks
Brian

#2 ·
I've heard of people doing it by pulling the dizzy and doing it with a drill with a rod in the end, after cutting a slot in the end of the rod. How you would fashion such a rod by guess work is beyond me and I think that pulling the dizzy is no easier that pulling the pump. Its pretty east once you get the thing clean and go buy the right sized 12 point 8(?)mm socket and another gasket. Just don't let the gear with the drive piece fall out and hit you in the face.

#5 ·
hey everyone,

I have this similar problem, no oil pressure. I have packed the inside of the oil pump gears with petroleum jelly, pulled the upper oil cooler line to bleed the air and poured a little bit of oil down that line, filled the oil filter with oil before assembly, pulled the dist. and spun the system with my drill for several minutes. it is still not pumping oil to the top of the motor. I just recently pull the passenger side valve cover for confirmation and it is dry. even ran the drill for several more minutes with the valve cover off and nothing. would running the drill create enough force to get oil to the far upper side of the motor?

Should I pour oil over my lifters, put the valve cover back on, repack the oil pump and hope that creates enough suction? Wondering if maybe I have some blockage somewhere in the line...

Ryan

#6 ·
You might want to try putting it together as you said. These engines don't force a lot of oil up top and a drill may not do enough to get it up there. I have been told you can actually start one without the valve covers on without making a huge mess. It sounds like you have done all the tricks, I would put it together and check the pressure with it running. I have a feeling either it will work fine, or you have a bigger problem somewhere. ie. your pump is bad or something.

#8 ·
When I pack my oil pump with the jelly and started the motor, I noticed that my upper oil colling line was loose and leaking oil. so that would tell me that my pump is functioning if oil is going up that line...Right? also it ran for about a minute. should that be long enough for it to complete the cycle? or at least reach the top of the motor?

I dont know which part number it was that I used. I bought the entire head gasket and bolt kit. it didn't really list the part numbers, I may have to call them in the morning. whats the difference in the two gaskets?

#12 ·
JRW said:
Is it wrong this makes me jealous as I sit in my office...
No, it just means that you have that rare, really cool job that let's you surf D-90 and still pay you. :)

#14 ·
evilfij said:
You need to say which vendor did that because they should not be used. It is a common mistake that all good parts guys should know about.

Ron
I had order most of my engine parts and all of my gaskets from Atlantic British. When I spoke with them this morning, they realized they had screwed up and are sending me a new one (no charge). It sucks though because they couldnt overnight it to me and I am stuck with a motor that I have to disassemble again.

#15 ·
Yeah, but once you've done it a time or two you can do a front cover in a couple hours. Plus, its a good excuse to get out of the house and drink some beer in the garage!

#16 ·
Roadsiderob said:
What was the part number on the front cover gasket that you used when you assembled your new engine? There are 2 gaskets available. You need ERR4936. If you used ERR7280, you will have this issue as you will be sucking air into the suction side of the pump.
Nice call.
:cool:

#18 ·
Roadsiderob said:
What was the part number on the front cover gasket that you used when you assembled your new engine? There are 2 gaskets available. You need ERR4936. If you used ERR7280, you will have this issue as you will be sucking air into the suction side of the pump.
So my replacement gasket came in the mail yesterday, after comparing to two, I noticed that the new one has a bolt hole for a bolt that I dont have. Just getting a second opinion before I put together the whole assembly, the part numbers match. which is good. the new one is ERR4936. should I be concerned with the unused bolt hole?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.