Loss oil prime - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 14th, 2009, 06:52 PM
vesparover
brian bertolini

Loss oil prime

Hey everyone- Has anyone had luck getting their pump to prime without pulling the pump? I tried packing the pressure relief valve with no luck. Any experience?
Thanks
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2009, 08:26 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I've heard of people doing it by pulling the dizzy and doing it with a drill with a rod in the end, after cutting a slot in the end of the rod. How you would fashion such a rod by guess work is beyond me and I think that pulling the dizzy is no easier that pulling the pump. Its pretty east once you get the thing clean and go buy the right sized 12 point 8(?)mm socket and another gasket. Just don't let the gear with the drive piece fall out and hit you in the face.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 14th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Joeplumbo
Joe PLumbo
1993 110

You may wish to try cracking (opening) the line at the top of the oil cooler to bleed the air.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

I have used a socket & extension drill. Pull the dizzy and have at it. Its been a few years..
Old March 5th, 2009, 06:38 PM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

hey everyone,

I have this similar problem, no oil pressure. I have packed the inside of the oil pump gears with petroleum jelly, pulled the upper oil cooler line to bleed the air and poured a little bit of oil down that line, filled the oil filter with oil before assembly, pulled the dist. and spun the system with my drill for several minutes. it is still not pumping oil to the top of the motor. I just recently pull the passenger side valve cover for confirmation and it is dry. even ran the drill for several more minutes with the valve cover off and nothing. would running the drill create enough force to get oil to the far upper side of the motor?

Should I pour oil over my lifters, put the valve cover back on, repack the oil pump and hope that creates enough suction? Wondering if maybe I have some blockage somewhere in the line...

Ryan
Old March 5th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

You might want to try putting it together as you said. These engines don't force a lot of oil up top and a drill may not do enough to get it up there. I have been told you can actually start one without the valve covers on without making a huge mess. It sounds like you have done all the tricks, I would put it together and check the pressure with it running. I have a feeling either it will work fine, or you have a bigger problem somewhere. ie. your pump is bad or something.
Old March 5th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

What was the part number on the front cover gasket that you used when you assembled your new engine? There are 2 gaskets available. You need ERR4936. If you used ERR7280, you will have this issue as you will be sucking air into the suction side of the pump.
Old March 5th, 2009, 07:57 PM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

When I pack my oil pump with the jelly and started the motor, I noticed that my upper oil colling line was loose and leaking oil. so that would tell me that my pump is functioning if oil is going up that line...Right? also it ran for about a minute. should that be long enough for it to complete the cycle? or at least reach the top of the motor?

I dont know which part number it was that I used. I bought the entire head gasket and bolt kit. it didn't really list the part numbers, I may have to call them in the morning. whats the difference in the two gaskets?
Old March 6th, 2009, 10:32 AM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

Crap!! Turns out they sent the wrong front engine gasket. If anyone needs me, I will be in the shop tearing apart the front of my motor....again.
Old March 6th, 2009, 11:04 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You need to say which vendor did that because they should not be used. It is a common mistake that all good parts guys should know about.

Ron
Old March 6th, 2009, 11:06 AM
JRW
John
94 D90 ST #1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB16
Crap!! Turns out they sent the wrong front engine gasket. If anyone needs me, I will be in the shop tearing apart the front of my motor....again.
Is it wrong this makes me jealous as I sit in my office...
Old March 6th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Roverowner
Brian Love
95/Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW
Is it wrong this makes me jealous as I sit in my office...
No, it just means that you have that rare, really cool job that let's you surf D-90 and still pay you.

Some people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when
you push them down a flight of stairs.

1995 Discovery
Old March 6th, 2009, 05:42 PM
JRW
John
94 D90 ST #1247

It's the non-smoker, D-90-checking-smoke-break.
Old March 6th, 2009, 06:59 PM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
You need to say which vendor did that because they should not be used. It is a common mistake that all good parts guys should know about.

Ron
I had order most of my engine parts and all of my gaskets from Atlantic British. When I spoke with them this morning, they realized they had screwed up and are sending me a new one (no charge). It sucks though because they couldnt overnight it to me and I am stuck with a motor that I have to disassemble again.
Old March 6th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Yeah, but once you've done it a time or two you can do a front cover in a couple hours. Plus, its a good excuse to get out of the house and drink some beer in the garage!
Old March 6th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsiderob
What was the part number on the front cover gasket that you used when you assembled your new engine? There are 2 gaskets available. You need ERR4936. If you used ERR7280, you will have this issue as you will be sucking air into the suction side of the pump.
Nice call.
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:18 AM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
Yeah, but once you've done it a time or two you can do a front cover in a couple hours. Plus, its a good excuse to get out of the house and drink some beer in the garage!
This is true!
Old March 10th, 2009, 03:28 PM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsiderob
So my replacement gasket came in the mail yesterday, after comparing to two, I noticed that the new one has a bolt hole for a bolt that I dont have. Just getting a second opinion before I put together the whole assembly, the part numbers match. which is good. the new one is ERR4936. should I be concerned with the unused bolt hole?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front engine gasket.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	18244  
Old March 10th, 2009, 03:37 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Did it come in a genuine wrapper? If so, i would use it. If not, I don't think that extra hole is a problem.

Ron
Old March 10th, 2009, 05:22 PM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

I got it figured out. Placing the gasket on the timing chain cover instead of the motor, I can see where the air was getting in through that one extra hole. It makes sense now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions