Loss of power - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 28th, 2013, 10:19 AM
2002 Defender
Loss of power

Hi...I own a 2002 TD5 Defender covered 110,000 miles. I have a on going problem that developes when the car is under load eg lond gradual hill climb. The car loses power & runs rough untill you return to flat stretch, when apon it returns to normal ! I've taken into my mechanic who connected to a diagnostic with no faults shown but we did in the process change the air flow meter which was at fault, but still the problem continues ! Any ideas ?...Thanks Russell

Old September 28th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen
Try pulling the red plug out of the ECU under the seat. if there's oil there then you'll have the classic "oil in loom" fault.

Fairly eacy to sort; new injector harness and some brake cleaner dribbled down the main harness, there's plenty on this on the www.

Also maybe the fuel pump.... does it run noisily? (a high pitch whining a lot) or do you need to crank the engine over more than usual after it's beed stopped for a while.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions