Loss of oil on Freeway - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 17th, 2007, 10:47 PM
danb.taylor
Taylor

Loss of oil on Freeway

I was driving down the freeway tonight in my 94 D90 and all the sudden the car started to smoke. I pulled over and I had a oil streak behind the vehicle and under it. It was night and along a major freeway so I didnt have time to look things over that well but the right side of the motor and the engine bay from the middle on down was drenched in oil. When I was driving the car when it happened, the motor was fine and I had no indications other than the smoke and smell. I had it towed to the shop and am awaiting a diagnosis. Does anyone have any ideas on what happened?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2007, 10:58 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb.taylor
I was driving down the freeway tonight in my 94 D90 and all the sudden the car started to smoke. I pulled over and I had a oil streak behind the vehicle and under it. It was night and along a major freeway so I didnt have time to look things over that well but the right side of the motor and the engine bay from the middle on down was drenched in oil. When I was driving the car when it happened, the motor was fine and I had no indications other than the smoke and smell. I had it towed to the shop and am awaiting a diagnosis. Does anyone have any ideas on what happened?
sounds like oil cooler lines?
Old February 17th, 2007, 10:59 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan01
sounds like oil cooler lines?
I would second that... Have you replaced them yet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2007, 11:00 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

sure it is motor oil?
Old February 17th, 2007, 11:08 PM
danb.taylor
Taylor

It is motor oil, I just bought the truck a couple of months ago and everything is stock. So i dont think that the oil cooler lines have been replaced.
Old February 17th, 2007, 11:15 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
http://www.eastcoastrover.com/110oillines.html

sounds like you are very very lucky
Old February 17th, 2007, 11:55 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I guarantee you ruptured your oil cooler lines. You are like me, and very lucky the truck didnt immolate when it happened. Fix them obviously, but do some reading and look at an upgrade from the stock lines. A speed shop of local hydraulic place can make you something well-suited.
Old February 18th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

Definately sounds like the dreaded oil cooler lines. Replace them with upgraded parts from East Coast Rover or British Car Service, your local hydrolic place, etc. Anything but the OEM part.

You also might want to buy a fire extinguisher for your truck. You didn't need it this time. With any luck you'll never use it, but having one when you need it is a good thing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions