Loss of Horsepower - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 24th, 2005, 02:28 PM
thug1313
Brian Ellis
Sold it!

Loss of Horsepower

Has anybody experienced this:
('95 D-90 SW, 87,600 miles)
I feel good low end power, decent acceleration in and around town, etc. But at highway speeds, especially going up hills, having a bleed off of horsepower? I pass semis on downhill segments, but they catch up to me on the succeeding uphills. These are while I'm in 5th gear, 60-70 mph.
At first it felt like my clutch slipping, but lately I'm wondering about a clogged cat. or exhaust obstruction someplace. The exhaust components all appear original.

Any help?

Thank you
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

There are some things that start wearing out at that point. I am only 2,000 miles behind you, and just did new head gaskets and a timing chain. While I had it apart, I also did a new cam and lifters.

The Cat may be clogging, and the muffler doing the same. I've heard that the factory cats sometimes start shedding chunks into the muffler.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 24th, 2005, 02:54 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

A d-90 with no horsepower....What the hell is going on around here.....

Nah, Just messing around....To me it sounds like you have an obstruction somewhere. Check your exhaust system thoroughly to see if there are any problems that you can tell. If not there you need to work your way up to the motor and look at the things that Hans pointed out and see about the condition of them.

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

You will know when your cats go! Sounds like rocks in a tin can any time you punch it. And parts will fly out and all will be good ask me how I know, I think both my cats are now empty. As other say, check airflow, out and IN, maybe the air filter is blocked up.
Old February 24th, 2005, 03:47 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Mike,
Just curious,
How did you come to be the D90 Source Slut.....Sounds like a pretty cool job

Old February 24th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

LOL, Yousef gave me the title, apparently I have been in a lot of other peoples 90s or i should say I get around in the rover world.
Old February 24th, 2005, 04:37 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

LMAO.....thats awesome

Old February 25th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

There are lots of potential reasons for lack of horsepower besides a clogged exhaust. Some things to consider: new fuel filter, new air filter, tune-up, clean fuel injectors and/or other intake parts. At higher rpms the engine will not perform if something is constricted.

After considering items of routine maintenance, then start thinking through parts with a limited life span. A bad o2 sensor will rob horsepower, though you shoud get an indicator light on that one.

I've dealt with this on numerous occassions. It has generally been cured with some element of routine work.
Old February 26th, 2005, 10:07 AM
thug1313
Brian Ellis
Sold it!

After this weekend, I will have new exhaust manifold gaskets (one was leaking, so I'm replacing both sides; all 4 new belts and 8 new plugs (they appeared way blackened, like I was running rich). I will then attempt to haul ass up and down the highway to compare the performance difference, if any. These areas were in need of attention, anyway.

If my rig is still dragging at higher rpms I'll focus on the above suggested areas. Thanks for all the great ideas folks! (still learning). I'll advise my progress.

Brian
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:32 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Whats the verdict on the fix?

I am in the same boat with 80k miles. I went to the mountains yesterday and had some issues going uphill. Overall the truck runs strong but this was a new thing, granted I have only had the truck a few months so it may not be all that new. The PO was always good about service and took care of the truck.

I am curious to see what has resolved this. I am going to put a stock air filter in tomorrow and add some fuel injector cleaner (any thoughts on what to use?) and see if that helps. I just had new belts put on and changed the oil lines to SS (Ken Loy is the bomb!)

I'm not too mechanically inclined so I am hoping to keep it simple. I was thinking if either of my above ideas didn't work I was going to change the fuel filter. After that I am out things in my realm.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions