Losing water from the expansion tank, no leaks/contamination, I think its the block.. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 21st, 2012, 01:37 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Question Losing water from the expansion tank, no leaks/contamination, I think its the block..

Well I think its about that time. No visible leaks anywhere, radiator was re-conditioned a year ago, brass plugs around the filler tubes have clean gaskets, all hoses fairly new. Nothing around the water pump. I now have to fill the expansion tank with about 1 1/2 cup of water every 2 weeks and I can't find out where the water leaking to. No cross contamination in the oil or coolant. So I think its time for me to install that 4.6 What say ye thy experts?

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2012, 06:23 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Same here ... Planning Tdi upgrade
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 21st, 2012, 07:27 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Have you checked the cap, to make sure it is sealing correctly? Swap on from one of your other trucks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:26 AM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
i have notice the same thing in my truck over the last 3 years. i fill the tank and when i check it again, it only has about 1/2 in the bottom. just like neil, no signs of leaks anywhere. truck never runs hot, and it will only leak down the the 1/2 level, no more than that so i just figured it was normal.... i have 144k miles on it
Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:44 AM
Raz
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589

Registry
I thought the expansion tank was suppose to be about half full cold.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:44 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Shouldn't the expansion tank settle at a certain level after a few drives? I think so... but if it is consistently going down then there is an issue.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 01:32 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Yeah the cap gasket is fine. I think I'll just buy another one just for the hell of it. the water actually got empty at the expansion tank one time, I literally had to fill it with a garden hose. I definately have a leak somewhere, but I'm just thinking its the perfect excuse to put that new 4.6 block I have.

Robert Deniro
Old June 22nd, 2012, 01:38 PM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

Mine was doing the same thing, drove me crazy. I couldn't find a leak anywhere, no puddles nothing. It was the small line under the tank, it would leak down the hose when it felt like it but wasn't puddling anywhere. What about on the backside around the valley pan gasket?

Install the 4.6 either way.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 02:02 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

valley pan has a few cracks in the front and is a little dirty but I don't think its leaking. I think I'm just going to plan to swap the motor out this summer.

Robert Deniro
Old June 22nd, 2012, 02:56 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

check the back of the heads

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
water