Losing my Sanity - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 9th, 2012, 12:26 AM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Losing my Sanity

Greetings sports fans.

Ever seen a TrueTrac lock up like a locking diff (pinging, popping, skipping tires) when the T-case is locked?

I'm on my second rear TrueTrac from GBR. The 1st one did the same thing right out of the bucket so I sent it back after 200 miles. Just installed a new one in my '97 NAS D90. It's still doing it. WTF?

Thoughts??? Maybe they're supposed to do this?

Video: http://youtu.be/d-w1vRBY2UI

Here are still shots of the set-up: http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/d...Diff_Problems/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2012, 12:46 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

I had my true track in the rear for awhle with no problem then I had a locker installed in the rear and moved the true track up front. I didn't have any of the issues you are encountering.....sorry that you are having such luck. Just curious...how fast are you going with your CDL on?
Old January 9th, 2012, 12:49 AM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
I had my true track in the rear for awhle with no problem then I had a locker installed in the rear and moved the true track up front. I didn't have any of the issues you are encountering.....sorry that you are having such luck. Just curious...how fast are you going with your CDL on?
In the video? maybe 5 mph? I only use the center diff lock is very deep snow or on loose gravel in the mountains so never very fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2012, 12:53 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

I am sure someone will have an answer for you. My true trac did take a little while to loosen up. Meaning when I could really feel the torque steer on it for awhile until it broke itself in. There is some limited slip condition that may help. I picked some up for my rebuilt R380 to help break it in.
Old January 9th, 2012, 01:07 AM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
I am sure someone will have an answer for you. My true trac did take a little while to loosen up. Meaning when I could really feel the torque steer on it for awhile until it broke itself in. There is some limited slip condition that may help. I picked some up for my rebuilt R380 to help break it in.
Hmmmm... perhaps I need to just put some miles on my truck and see what happens. I'm using Valvoline oil that is specially formulated for LS diffs.
Old January 9th, 2012, 03:04 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Well im thinking your diff is working as it was intended to and when your going around a tight corner the diff starts to wind up so to speak. The sound your hearing is the rear diff trying to lock up as the inside tire is turning slower in the turn acting as if the outside tire was in the air or loseing traction.

When your CDL is unlocked the load for the rear axle is being distributed through the center diff which is the path of least resistance and not binding the rear diff to the point of making noise. I have had one of these and it made the same sounds when off road and I lifted a tire and and applied power to the drivetrain.

Im thinking if the diff was bigger you would simply start chirping the inside tire much like a detroit would do under power. My suggestion would be to get it to the dirt and or a slippery surface and see how it acts.

The fact that it didnt make any noise till you loaded it up with the center diff makes me think theres nothing wrong with it. Even a non diff locked defender will hop and bind with the center diff locked.

Send the video to detroit and see what they say,

Good luck with this and hope it all works out.

Cheers Ed
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 9th, 2012, 05:36 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Those tru tracs dont need oil with friction modifiers as they are a gear driven.
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:39 AM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
I used front and rear trutracs on my 87 classic with 10 splines for about 2 or 3 yrs, it did the same thing but only heard it when off road and pushing it hard (in fact quite often it would result in a broken axle but factory 10 splines are weaker).
my reason for removing the tt's were two fold, as the lack of selectability gave me traction on a side winding snow covered intersection and I slid into a brand new durango, at the same time I was fed up with broken 10 spline axles so a 24 spline upgrade was waiting at home.
personally I would not go back to non selectable traction aids, currently althou pricey I run dual arb's.
back to tt's they tend to make the same click ratchett noise when used as suggested where you "feather the brake in order to fool it into traction when one wheel is stationary and the other spins".
I allways thought it was normal but never heard it on the road.
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:12 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I've been using GBR's tt in the front and a detroit in the rear for 5 years and over 65k miles. I drive my truck daily, use the truck on long hwy trips and use it off-road in all conditions. No problems to report.
Old January 13th, 2012, 08:19 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Thinking about cutting my losses and just dropping an ARB locker in the rear and leaving the functional TrueTrac in the front.

Any thoughts as to whether that set-up is reasonable reliable for daily driving?
Old January 13th, 2012, 10:27 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ View Post
Thinking about cutting my losses and just dropping an ARB locker in the rear and leaving the functional TrueTrac in the front.

Any thoughts as to whether that set-up is reasonable reliable for daily driving?

It will work but it wont be alot of fun in the snow and ice. I had a detroit rear true trac front for awhile and I didnt like it in the snow and ice. Had what I would call torque steer at times.

Just my .02
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions