Loose wires near tranny/transfer case - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 4th, 2013, 10:16 PM
SimpleJack
Joe
94 D90 NAS ST

Registry
Loose wires near tranny/transfer case

So I am having problems with my reverse light not working....and I checked the bulb to determine it wasn't burned out. I pulled my center console, opened up the hatch on the seat box in an effort to locate my reverse sensor on the tranny and found some wires without homes. Any help in identifying what they go to would be greatly appreciated.

1. See the blue wire on right with the female end that seems to run down the right frame rail toward the engine compartment and is open ended and not laying on the transfer case.
2. Black wire that is attached to a bolt (you can see the bolt) on the tranny (arched up middle right in photo)Ground? But for what? Is this stock or a PO mod?
3. A sensor comes out of the left side of the tranny. Two wires - possibly green with red and a green with yellow deadend in a female connector that isn't attached to anything ( middle left of photo) Is this the reverse sensor? If not where exactly should I look? Is it the sensor next to the fill plug?
Sorry for the crappy photo
Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	79078  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2013, 10:48 PM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
The sensor at top of photo with two green wires is your reverse sensor. On my two wires run back to the chassis harness right before it enters the chassis.
Old September 16th, 2013, 09:19 PM
SimpleJack
Joe
94 D90 NAS ST

Registry
Ok, so I'm good with identifying reverse sensor/switch from #3

Any ideas about #1 or 2? My transfer case warning light seems to flash on intermittently lately. I think when investigating under the truck I jostled something and now transfer case light comes on. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2013, 09:34 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

Me too, I'm curious about the odd wiring in my D90. An edited picture for easy reference is attached.

1:
2: (funny ground wire)
3: reverse sensor and wiring
4:
5:

4 is the speed sensor that runs into the transfer case?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D90copy.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	380.9 KB
ID:	80059  
Old September 16th, 2013, 09:44 PM
SimpleJack
Joe
94 D90 NAS ST

Registry
Thanks Madden!
#1 = d, but what is it?
#2 = ? The item I am referring to in #2 isn't actually circled but is due right of "c" just past the looming. Help?
Old September 16th, 2013, 09:53 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

See picture, revised it.
Old September 16th, 2013, 11:29 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMidnite View Post
Me too, I'm curious about the odd wiring in my D90. An edited picture for easy reference is attached.

1:
2: (funny ground wire)
3: reverse sensor and wiring
4:
5:

4 is the speed sensor that runs into the transfer case?

2. Black wire that is attached to a bolt (you can see the bolt) on the tranny (arched up middle right in photo)Ground? But for what? Is this stock or a PO mod?
This stock, the bolted earth wire is for the diff sensor, have the same on mine.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old September 21st, 2013, 11:26 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
This stock, the bolted earth wire is for the diff sensor, have the same on mine.
Are you saying that one of the diff lock wires bolts right back to the transfer case? I've posted a question about this at http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=48298 but hadn't sorted out an answer for this yet.

I have a wire that comes out of my diff lock sensor, and it doesn't go anywhere. I also have a broken off wire connector right beside it, attached to a transfer case bolt. It looks like these two were meant to connect, but I hate to just connect up wires based on circumstantial evidence and lack of another obvious option.

Thanks!
- Andrew.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 06:32 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclarke View Post
Are you saying that one of the diff lock wires bolts right back to the transfer case? I've posted a question about this at http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=48298 but hadn't sorted out an answer for this yet.

I have a wire that comes out of my diff lock sensor, and it doesn't go anywhere. I also have a broken off wire connector right beside it, attached to a transfer case bolt. It looks like these two were meant to connect, but I hate to just connect up wires based on circumstantial evidence and lack of another obvious option.

Thanks!
- Andrew.
Diff lock wires, black bolts to the TC (earth)
black with blue (B u) stripe goes to the other end. if your broken wire that you say is the black with blue stripe, re-connect it.

Reverse switch green (G) and green with brown (G n) stripe

This how is on my 1986 90

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transfer case