Looks like my 300 TDi head gasket blew again - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 26th, 2008, 01:37 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Looks like my 300 TDi head gasket blew again

Anyone know of an aftermarket head gasket that stands up better to increased turbo pressures?
This one, apparently, lasted less than 1,000 miles and the head was pressure test and milled. Valves were recessed at the same time. Fortunately it isn't running hot - just blowing coolant out of the overflow tank cap after I stop ad turn it off.
The mechanic is also checking for air in the cooling system, and if they have to tear it down, for an uneven block deck.

Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

Not sure I follow. Was the gasket an aftermarket item? I had a nasty squeeking under the bonnet on startup that I chased for some days. Eventually, it was found to be an aftermarket serpentene belt, so I'm seriously doubting the aftermarket stuff.

jC
Old June 27th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough
66' IIa, 95 D 90 300 Tdi, 94,98 D1

300 Tdi Head

You mention a couple curious things here.

Head gasket blown, Blowing coolant out of overflow after shut down.

Has the Cyl head been checked for trueness? Has the head been crack checked in addition to pressure checked? Has the block deck been measured as well for same?

Before clamping another head gasket in there you may want to verify at least these few phisical conditions. Diesels in particular dont like heat. If you have a parts mating condition that is out of tolerance, you will get pressure/coolant leaks and then your back to square one.

Unfortunatley no shortcuts once you get issues like this. Sounds like pressure in or getting in the cooling system has this thing not running happy. Time to get the thing carefully checked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Also, there are three different head gasket thicknesses. Has the right one been used?
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:08 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

Thanks for the replies.
I've been traveling and also waiting for the mechanic to tear down the motor.
They said they haven't taken the head off because if they tighten the overflow tank cap down real hard it hasn't leaked. So I'm replacing the tank and cap and trying it again.
I hope that is the fix, but I am dubious.

Clark
Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:31 AM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough
66' IIa, 95 D 90 300 Tdi, 94,98 D1

Pressure

Suggest having your system pressure checked. There could be any number of issues regarding excess pressure but if the mechanic is cranking down the cap to offset these effects it is only a matter of time before the condition progresses to the point of (Big) failure.

I dont have the stock spec for systems pressure but your talking on the order 10-12 lbs. max warm.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen

Thanks Mark....

That makes sense. I'm going to drive it for a few days after I get it back and see what develops.

Clark

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, gas, tdi