Looking to purchase first Defender - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 24th, 2014, 08:53 PM
vanroth
Justin
SIII

Looking to purchase first Defender

I've owned two SIII's and a Disco 2, but my dream has always been a Defender. I've been flip flopping between 110's and 90's, but the reality is I probably don't need all the space a D110 offers (no kids, just wifey and two dogs).

I've been looking at a few ebay trucks and I've seen a couple of nicer left hand TD 90's from Italy, but the prices (IMO) were a bit high for a sight unseen truck ($26-30K).

Found this TD 90 both ebay and CL a few hours from me. Definitely a service truck given it's yellow underpaint, but appears to be half way decent (if not basic given the van panels). I know the door bottoms are rotten, but judging by the photos the rest of the truck looks solid -- though the bulkhead is a question mark.

Does anyone know anything about this truck? Should I run away or would it be worth a 5 hour trip to check it out?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-D...US_Cars_Trucks

Thanks,
vanroth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 24th, 2014, 09:10 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I didn't see any major defects other than the door corrosion. I wouldn't buy it without checking out the frame and the rear crossmember regarding any major rust issues. Are you looking for a daily driver, 4 wheeler or a mall cruiser? If you want it pretty you are going to have to track down some new doors. I'm in Phoenix and can give you a good price on a take off rear door. Also do diesels get emissions inspected in Pima County? If so you may have an issue if you want to use it as a daily driver.
Old December 24th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

Right hand drive? Do you really want the hassle? Is it registered as 1980 or 1986? It makes a BIG difference because there was NO SUCH THING as a 90 in 1980 so if you buy it you are looking at getting it stolen from you by the government as an illegally imported mis registered vehicle. I suspect it is just a typo in the advert. What makes you think it is a TD? It shouldn't be for that age, should be a Naturally Aspirated diesel.

Yes, it's worth the drive IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 24th, 2014, 09:21 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Greg is 100% correct, it is a naturally aspirated diesel, not a TD. Also the VIN doesn't check out using the VIN decoder. You may want to get the correct VIN from the seller and repost it here for somebody to check it out for you.
Old December 24th, 2014, 09:21 PM
vanroth
Justin
SIII

Well, I totally confused myself while looking at so many... You are right, it is a NA diesel and not a TD. I ultimately will do a 200tdi swap, but I was hoping to get as many miles as possible out of the factory motor. A NA diesel might make it a deal breaker given it would need to hit the highway.

It is registered as a 1986 and yes Tucson is the same as Phoenix as far as emissions go.

------ Follow up post added December 24th, 2014 07:26 PM ------

Thanks. Asked for the VIN and bulkhead photos. Will post up if I get them.
Old December 24th, 2014, 09:30 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Just sent you a pm...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender