Looking to own a Defender, where to start? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old March 4th, 2014, 10:50 PM
obababoy
Status: Offline
Chris
04 D2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Elkridge, MD
Posts: 4
Looking to own a Defender, where to start?

Hello everyone, I felt like the Technical Discussion threads would be a good place to ask where I should start with a defender, if not I apologize.

Basically I am wondering what level of completion I should start with on a defender project? What pricepoint do I look for in a 90 or 110.

I am not completely brand new to LR's. I have an 04 D2 that I picked up a couple years ago and have been tinkering with. (some limited trail cruising).

I know the basics when it comes to mechanics. I have had a somewhat quick Subaru for the past 8 years and can do quite a bit on it with exceptions to ECU tuning and engine/trans rebuilds.

Here is where I think I may be in trouble. I have almost no experience with fab work such as welding.

I would love to meet up with a D90 or 110 owner and pick their brain a bit if that is possible. I am near Baltimore, MD.

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

~Chris
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old March 4th, 2014, 11:07 PM
Jymmiejamz's Avatar
Jymmiejamz
Status: Offline
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,468
Registry
I think you need to start with the search function, but I suppose you knew that response was coming.

What exactly do you want out of a Defender build? You can do a lot with just bolt ons if you aren't experienced in fab work.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old March 5th, 2014, 12:04 AM
obababoy
Status: Offline
Chris
04 D2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Elkridge, MD
Posts: 4
I suppose I am bad at searching. Every post I come across seems to be very in depth. Couldn't find the "new guy section".

Well I want to get a solid defender to go on trips with. Eventually leading up to something I can DD. What I can't find is which engines are preferred, 200tdi, 300tdi, or 2.5nas diesel? Which Defender is easier to find parts for, the 110 or 90, or are they very similar except in regards to length. If we had to choose, I would be more interested in a 4 door 110. I was also reading some debates about Air Conditioning in these vehicles. Do most people with older 90's or 110's just go without?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old March 5th, 2014, 01:14 AM
C391HAT's Avatar
C391HAT
Status: Offline
Zach
86 110
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 239
With the AC I feel that the bulkhead vents and open windows do a good enough job that for me that AC isn't necessary. You're best bet would be to go for a ride with someone in the summer and decide yourself if you want it.

You could always get a 90 or a 2 door 110 and easily soft-top it when the weather is nice and a hard-top for when it isn't. That's what I'm doing (2 door 110 with a hard-top, soft-top, and even a pickup top too)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old March 5th, 2014, 02:05 AM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Online
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,845
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by obababoy View Post
What I can't find is which engines are preferred, 200tdi, 300tdi, or 2.5nas diesel?
NAS stands for North American Spec. There is no 2.5 NAS engine, there is a 2.5 na which stands for naturally aspirated. Any tdi is preferable to the 2.5na .
None of these engines were available in the US models.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old March 5th, 2014, 06:59 AM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by obababoy View Post
what I can't find is which engines are preferred, 200tdi, 300tdi, or 2.5nas diesel?
There was a great thread called"Which engine if given the choice?" Or something like that. Searching things like "which engine is best" will give you great responses.

Welcome and good luck!

Things like rust are your most important thing to look for. 90 or 110 doesn't really matter with prices - there will always be easy to find and difficult to find parts for these.
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old March 5th, 2014, 07:13 AM
rd10014's Avatar
rd10014
Status: Offline
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 923
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
There was a great thread called"Which engine if given the choice?" Or something like that. Searching things like "which engine is best" will give you great responses. Welcome and good luck! Things like rust are your most important thing to look for. 90 or 110 doesn't really matter with prices - there will always be easy to find and difficult to find parts for these.
Agreed Josh, how much do you plan to spend, this I feel is an important start.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old March 5th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Daddymow's Avatar
Daddymow
Status: Offline
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Stuart, FL / Boone, NC
Posts: 3,974
Registry
One option you might think of is to attend some events this year and hit the trails with the different types of Rovers. It would be a great way to see all the options out there in action, on the trail. Your D2 is and extremely capable truck in stock form add in a few things like a 2" lift, some tires and you will be amazed with what your truck will do. Get with Justin at Lucky 8 he will have every thing you need for your D2 then attend some events this season. Welcome to the board and remember the search engine is your friend.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old March 5th, 2014, 08:06 AM
1of40's Avatar
1of40
Status: Offline
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Potomac Falls & Wintergreen, Virginia
Posts: 6,094
Registry
Chris, welcome to the board. I live about an hour from you and would be more than happy to meet up one day. I've been putz'n around with Rover since 1996 when I bought my first Defender. My internet skills were not very strong but I found a soft top NAS90 on Yahoo Cars in California with about 3,000 original miles at a really nice asking price. I'd never driven one but knew I wanted one. After talking to the owner I wired the funds sight unseen and 10 days later it was at my front door. Probably the most exciting g purchase I've ever made. I currently have a 110 with a 2.5na diesel, a 110 with a 3.5V8 and a 97NAS SW90. If you'd like to come see, climb around and/ drive any of them you're more than welcome. PM me your contacts if interested and I'll get in touch. Clay
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old March 5th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Himalaya's Avatar
Himalaya
Status: Offline
Mark WS
1995 Nas, 86 D110, 97 Hummer H1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: HHI S.C.
Posts: 1,112
Now thats a great offer. Test all and see what suits you.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old March 5th, 2014, 08:42 AM
obababoy
Status: Offline
Chris
04 D2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Elkridge, MD
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by C391HAT View Post
You're best bet would be to go for a ride with someone in the summer and decide yourself if you want it.
That is something to consider. Based on reading the AC is sub par anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
NAS stands for North American Spec. There is no 2.5 NAS engine, there is a 2.5 na which stands for naturally aspirated. Any tdi is preferable to the 2.5na .
None of these engines were available in the US models.
Typo there sorry. Based on your website it seems you guys would prefer a 200tdi over the 300tdi due to economy purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Things like rust are your most important thing to look for. 90 or 110 doesn't really matter with prices - there will always be easy to find and difficult to find parts for these.
Thank you guys for the responses so far. I would like to spend under $20,000 if that is possible. I have been reading about rust issues and it would be important to me to have a galvanized chassis, or at least a rust free body and chassis.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old March 5th, 2014, 08:51 AM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,078
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Chris, welcome to the board. I live about an hour from you and would be more than happy to meet up one day. I've been putz'n around with Rover since 1996 when I bought my first Defender. My internet skills were not very strong but I found a soft top NAS90 on Yahoo Cars in California with about 3,000 original miles at a really nice asking price. I'd never driven one but knew I wanted one. After talking to the owner I wired the funds sight unseen and 10 days later it was at my front door. Probably the most exciting g purchase I've ever made. I currently have a 110 with a 2.5na diesel, a 110 with a 3.5V8 and a 97NAS SW90. If you'd like to come see, climb around and/ drive any of them you're more than welcome. PM me your contacts if interested and I'll get in touch. Clay
Don't even think about buying a defender these days without having it inspected and preferably seen by yourself ... there are far too many POS being hawked these days smothered in armaroll.
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old March 5th, 2014, 09:26 AM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by obababoy View Post
Thank you guys for the responses so far. I would like to spend under $20,000 if that is possible. I have been reading about rust issues and it would be important to me to have a galvanized chassis, or at least a rust free body and chassis.
Rust free body will be easy for the most part since it's aluminum. I do suggest you read up quite a bit more on Defenders in your spare time. Galvanized chassis is a great wish, but also unlikely given your budget, unless you mean it's a long-term goal. There aren't a ton of 110s here under $20k so you're looking likely at a 90 within your budget.
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old March 5th, 2014, 01:37 PM
NPT90's Avatar
NPT90
Status: Offline
JT
D90 óriginalé
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DC/MD
Posts: 2,772
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Rust free body will be easy for the most part since it's aluminum. I do suggest you read up quite a bit more on Defenders in your spare time. Galvanized chassis is a great wish, but also unlikely given your budget, unless you mean it's a long-term goal. There aren't a ton of 110s here under $20k so you're looking likely at a 90 within your budget.
X2 110 in untouched condition will chew up most of your budget; you are looking at a 90 rolling resto with a 200 or 300 tdi at 20k
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old March 5th, 2014, 05:41 PM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Offline
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,553
Registry
Quote:
If we had to choose, I would be more interested in a 4 door 110.
The problem with getting a 90 instead of a 110 is that it will be useless if you actually want/need 4 doors. You will spend money on the 90, then the perfect 110 will come up and you will ask yourself, "Why did I buy this thing?" A complete waste of time.

If you have $20k to spend, don't buy a 90. Buy a 110 all the way. Wait until you find the right truck.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender, start

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Defender won't Start DJ Menasco Defender Technical Discussions 21 January 29th, 2007 11:04 AM
2007 Defender details announced Kev Baldwin Misc. Chit-Chat 17 August 22nd, 2006 09:01 PM
Defender Oil Cooler Status Poll: Please Read. Hans Misc. Chit-Chat 4 March 12th, 2006 10:49 PM
Non D90 Technical Question jump start polarity problem dnewman9 Defender Technical Discussions 4 September 6th, 2004 05:39 AM
Defender 90 help Todd Defender Technical Discussions 7 August 28th, 2004 07:16 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Copyright