Looking to Buy First D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 1st, 2015, 08:25 PM
smb09h
Steven
None

Looking to Buy First D90

Hi there! I am a new member to the forums. I have browsed in the past but have just recently started looking for a D90 so I figured it was time to join. I hope this is posted in the correct section of the forums please let me know if not and I will fix it.

I wanted to check with you guys and get some advice on what to look for in your first Defender. I have seen several comments detailing where to look for rust in common areas. I also have some concern about whether or not to only pursue a NAS example. I have seen the thread about DHS seizing illegally imported trucks and that is where my concerns originates. I am fine with buying a truck that needs work or is not in plush condition, as I would like to work on it and make it my own. I would really appreciate any helpful advice you guys have and look forward to being a part of this forum.

Cheers!
SB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2015, 08:35 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Budget, intended use, and mechanical ability? Any previous Rovers or English vehicles?

Welcome aboard, and enjoy the koolaid...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 1st, 2015, 08:58 PM
smb09h
Steven
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
Budget, intended use, and mechanical ability? Any previous Rovers or English vehicles?

Welcome aboard, and enjoy the koolaid...
Thanks for your reply rovertrader. As for budget, I am hoping to stay somewhere around ~$25k. I would not be using the truck as a daily but for leisure and occasional, light off-roading. I consider my mechanical ability to be above average but also do not by any means consider myself a full blown mechanic. I have not owned a British vehicle thus far but I know from friends that they often enjoy and require a lot of attention. Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2015, 09:02 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Welcome. Great trucks great people. For that price you probably won't get a Nas but there are a bunch of legal row trucks out there. Read the boards. Search is your friend but the folks here (usually) won't bite your head off for asking questions
Old April 1st, 2015, 09:43 PM
89Defender90
none
none

Scientist in the room
Old April 1st, 2015, 09:43 PM
smb09h
Steven
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post
Welcome. Great trucks great people. For that price you probably won't get a Nas but there are a bunch of legal row trucks out there. Read the boards. Search is your friend but the folks here (usually) won't bite your head off for asking questions
Thanks Arcadeus! I will definitely do some more research on the boards.
Old April 1st, 2015, 10:25 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post

X2 on what Mark said and I would also ad that you should try and attend some of the events coming up even if just for the day. That way you can check out all manner of trucks and people are usually willing to let you bum a ride which is a great way to dip your toes in the Rover pool.

Cheers, be patient and good luck with your search.

Raub
Old April 1st, 2015, 10:33 PM
smb09h
Steven
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
X2 on what Mark said and I would also ad that you should try and attend some of the events coming up even if just for the day. That way you can check out all manner of trucks and people are usually willing to let you bum a ride which is a great way to dip your toes in the Rover pool.

Cheers, be patient and good luck with your search.

Raub
Thanks for your comments Daddymow. I have been searching for events in the Atlanta area but haven't come across any yet. I will keep looking though. I went to Caffeine and Octane this past Sunday but unfortunately I didn't see any Defenders. Cheers!
Old April 1st, 2015, 10:59 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
There is an event coming up in the Florida panhandle next weekend. There's a thread on here somewhere about it.
Old April 1st, 2015, 11:15 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Don't be afraid of RHD.

Make sure you are 100% okay with a 90 not only now, but down the road.

Look at (or have someone knowledgeable look at) any non-NAS rig you consider.

If you are okay with a diesel, go either 200Tdi or 300Tdi. Only buy a NA or Diesel Turbo if you plan to replace the engine with the 200 or 300.

The V8's are much quieter but it's not a good example of a V8. Either Ford 5.0 or 4.6 will help, but the Buick block is inherently weak.

Don't buy anything that is post-1990 & claims to be 'legally imported'. You will lose your arse.

Don't expect a reliable, easy to drive/maintain rig. They are a 'work in progress'.
Old April 1st, 2015, 11:19 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Don't be afraid of RHD.

If you are okay with a diesel, go either 200Tdi or 300Tdi. Only buy a NA or Diesel Turbo if you plan to replace the engine with the 200 or 300.

The V8's are much quieter but it's not a good example of a V8. Either Ford 5.0 or 4.6 will help, but the Buick block is inherently weak.

Don't buy anything that is post-1990 & claims to be 'legally imported'. You will lose your arse.

Don't expect a reliable, easy to drive/maintain rig. They are a 'work in progress'.
Paul nailed it...particularly with the RHD. Oddly I prefer it now...lots of room to stretch out (more footwell room), easy to parallel park, and totally freaks people out. If you have EZ-Pass and are ok with leaning over the passenger seat at drive-thru's RHD is a non-issue.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old April 1st, 2015, 11:40 PM
smb09h
Steven
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
There is an event coming up in the Florida panhandle next weekend. There's a thread on here somewhere about it.
Thanks a lot LostChord! I am from the panhandle and my folks live down there so I will look into this event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Don't be afraid of RHD.

Thanks for your advice Paul K! This is very helpful. I am fairly certain I will be okay with the 90 as I have a roomier vehicle for my daily. I really appreciate the motor advice. Sounds like I may want to steer clear of the turbo if that is the case. Do you have a preference when it comes to the V8 vs the diesel examples? If so could would you mind elaborating a bit?

Lastly is there a reason the "legally imported" post 1990 examples are a recipe for disaster?

I have come to terms with the trucks needing care and work. Like most hobbies it sounds like it will be pricey but the trucks are awesome and I think its worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Paul nailed it...particularly with the RHD. Oddly I prefer it now...lots of room to stretch out (more footwell room), easy to parallel park, and totally freaks people out. If you have EZ-Pass and are ok with leaning over the passenger seat at drive-thru's RHD is a non-issue.
Thanks for your advice as well nathanwind. I hadn't considered RHD much because I wasn't sure how difficult it would be to adjust. Did you find it difficult at first or was it a fairly simple transition?

Thanks again for all the help guys! This seems like a great community and I look forward to being a part of it!
Old April 2nd, 2015, 12:09 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb09h View Post
Lastly is there a reason the "legally imported" post 1990 examples are a recipe for disaster?
Because they're not legally imported.

My truck is RHD and I love it.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 04:12 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Because they're not legally imported. My truck is RHD and I love it.
X5 on RHD; learning curve isn't as steep as you think. Just think of all the times you were riding shotgun with someone who wasn't fit to drive and wished you had a steering wheel and a brake pedal... It becomes second nature within a few days as you adjust to it, certainly nothing to be afraid of
Old April 2nd, 2015, 06:24 AM
Ohlins
Retired Weirdo
1986 Army 110

Registry
Have a wee peep here?

Land Rover, Range Rover free help and information - from Glencoyne 4x4 (Thetford)

Yamaha XTZ660Z Ténéré 58112kms
Gas Gas 300EC Ohlins Enduro Moto.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 07:28 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
X5 on RHD; learning curve isn't as steep as you think. Just think of all the times you were riding shotgun with someone who wasn't fit to drive and wished you had a steering wheel and a brake pedal... It becomes second nature within a few days as you adjust to it, certainly nothing to be afraid of
word!
Old April 2nd, 2015, 11:10 AM
Ohlins
Retired Weirdo
1986 Army 110

Registry
When I lived in the Ulster before,I had RHD LR's as my normal transport and a LHD ex army 90. I used my 90 at the weekends and drove to work in my usual LR through the week...easy enough for sure..certainly wouldn't discount one if the price was favourable.

Old April 2nd, 2015, 11:38 AM
smb09h
Steven
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Because they're not legally imported.

My truck is RHD and I love it.
Thanks sonoronos! I guess I was more so asking why they do not allow legal import of post-90's. I assume because during most of the 90's NAS examples were being produced?

I am definitely opening up to the idea of RHD based on the feedback I am getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
Haha I know exactly what you are talking about NPT90. I have stomped that imaginary brake pedal several times. I guess I didn't think about that. I will definitely consider them as an option during my hunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohlins View Post
Have a wee peep here?

Land Rover, Range Rover free help and information - from Glencoyne 4x4 (Thetford)

When I lived in the Ulster before,I had RHD LR's as my normal transport and a LHD ex army 90. I used my 90 at the weekends and drove to work in my usual LR through the week...easy enough for sure..certainly wouldn't discount one if the price was favourable.

Thanks a lot Ohlins! It looks like there is some fantastic information in the link you sent. I will spend some time there. I am definitely going to keep RHD as an option and certainly if I find one for the right price. Appreciate the advice.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 11:40 AM
Ohlins
Retired Weirdo
1986 Army 110

Registry
You're most welcome...enjoy that spot of 'light reading'...now you're hooked. Prepare to open your wallet and keep it opened

Old April 2nd, 2015, 11:44 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:

Thanks for your advice as well nathanwind. I hadn't considered RHD much because I wasn't sure how difficult it would be to adjust. Did you find it difficult at first or was it a fairly simple transition?
My experience was 15-minutes behind the wheel to get the "hang" of it, and a day or so of driving around and you've got it mastered. The biggest obstacle will be when your wife continually walks to the wrong side of the truck and you have to ask "are you driving or am I?".

Quote:
For any non-NAS truck, it has to be 25-years or older to be eligible for import...anything younger/newer than 1990 at this point not 25+ years old.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90