Looking to Buy First D90 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 2nd, 2015, 12:31 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb09h View Post
Thanks sonoronos! I guess I was more so asking why they do not allow legal import of post-90's. I assume because during most of the 90's NAS examples were being produced?
ah, sorry i wasn't clear

1. no truck newer than 25 years from date of manufacture can be imported legally (and subsequently registered) by legal statute of the NHTSA.
2. 90's NAS examples were imported under a very specific exemption to the law stated above granted to specific vin numbers in a certain range.
3. no other exceptions to the above.

so, why? because the gov't said so. don't look for a logical reason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2015, 01:09 PM
smb09h
Steven
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohlins View Post
You're most welcome...enjoy that spot of 'light reading'...now you're hooked. Prepare to open your wallet and keep it opened

Thanks Ohlins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
My experience was 15-minutes behind the wheel to get the "hang" of it, and a day or so of driving around and you've got it mastered. The biggest obstacle will be when your wife continually walks to the wrong side of the truck and you have to ask "are you driving or am I?".

For any non-NAS truck, it has to be 25-years or older to be eligible for import...anything younger/newer than 1990 at this point not 25+ years old.
Thanks for the input on the RHD nathanwind. These will definitely be on my radar now during my hunt. I didn't realize the 25 year stipulation existed, now I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
ah, sorry i wasn't clear

1. no truck newer than 25 years from date of manufacture can be imported legally (and subsequently registered) by legal statute of the NHTSA.
2. 90's NAS examples were imported under a very specific exemption to the law stated above granted to specific vin numbers in a certain range.
3. no other exceptions to the above.

so, why? because the gov't said so. don't look for a logical reason
Thanks for the additional explanation sonoronos! I didn't realize this statute existed but now it makes sense.

Thanks again for all the welcoming and great feedback y'all!
Old April 2nd, 2015, 04:36 PM
smb09h
Steven
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
The reason is JLRNA. There is a document where an individual tried to bring in a 93 110 and the govt consulted with JLRNA and they said essentialy, noo, we did special modification that only the factory can do to bring them up to US standards. saying a 93 ROW 110 was substantialy differnt than an NAS one, and it wast somthing that could be altered later to make others in compliance.

Same reason there is such a shitstorm about imported trucks now. JLRNA doesn't want them here.

-Jeff
Thanks JSBriggs. I didn't realize it was an issue stemming from the JLRNA side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2015, 06:13 PM
fraser61
Fraser Gourlay
1986 D110 TUM 300Tdi

Registry
Hey there I have a friend of mine who's wanting to sell an ex British Army Defender 90, that I imported for myself from the UK as he now wants one of my of my LHD Tithonus 110 hard tops. The vehicle was a chassis up rebuild done before it was exported for which we have all the photos. I finished it up and installed a recon engine bought from Solarguy in Florida, one of Daddymo's buddies, with approx 30,000 miles on it. It has a clean Texas title and is in in very clean condition unlike a lot of ex Army stuff that is shipped over here. It has of course the usual minor transmission and engine oil leaks that are also to be expected in a vehicle of this age. It has new paint job, wheel eyebrows, door tops, doors, hood, tires, exhaust, seats, bulkhead, radiator and canopy along with an LT77 gearbox with around 50,000 Miles on it, out of my soft top Tithonus. If your at all interested please send me a message and we can discuss further. Cheers Fraser

2008 RRS SC
1986 D110 Tithonus 300TDi RHD
1979 S3 Lightweight
2006 ZX-10R

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, get it out with eye drops.
Old April 8th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Rajiv365
Rajiv Malhotra
05 LR3

Agree with everything said. Do as your doing, keep reading and learning. I spent a year "looking/reading" before I actively started shopping. During that time my desires went from 110 to 90 sw w automatic to 90 st. Be on the lookout for frame issues and the usual spots (door frames, footwell, etc). Have a skilled objective third party look at it (mechanic familiar with rovers, not your buddy).

I actually was able to use the defendersource network to find people close to every defender I was interested and have a mechanic look at the vehicles. Lots of introductions to complete strangers and everyone was super nice and helpful and gave more advice during my journal.

All great guys, great vehicles and fun times. The wallet staying open is great advice, it's like a disease and it never stops once you get one.

Raj
1996 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta Rossa Corsa
1995 Defender 90 Soft Top AA Yellow
Old April 21st, 2015, 08:08 PM
smb09h
Steven
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv365 View Post
Agree with everything said. Do as your doing, keep reading and learning. I spent a year "looking/reading" before I actively started shopping. During that time my desires went from 110 to 90 sw w automatic to 90 st. Be on the lookout for frame issues and the usual spots (door frames, footwell, etc). Have a skilled objective third party look at it (mechanic familiar with rovers, not your buddy).

I actually was able to use the defendersource network to find people close to every defender I was interested and have a mechanic look at the vehicles. Lots of introductions to complete strangers and everyone was super nice and helpful and gave more advice during my journal.

All great guys, great vehicles and fun times. The wallet staying open is great advice, it's like a disease and it never stops once you get one.

Raj
Thanks for the advice Raj! I have been doing as you mentioned and continued looking and reading. I am currently stuck on a 90 ST. I been checking the for sale section regularly as well as watching craigslist daily. I have come across of few that I like but for one reason or another wasn't the right one. I am not in a hurry so I am enjoying the hunt as well as continuing to learn more about these awesome trucks. Cheers!

Steven
Old April 21st, 2015, 10:47 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Agree 100% of the above advise. Think long and hard about how you want your truck set up. You will spend 3x the punt of money buying and fitting an upgrade - boer, light, rack, etc as you would buying the closest truck that matches your desired upgrades meaning buy a truck that is set up as close as possible to your want list and factor that want list cost into your initial purchase budget. I spent 7 years setting up the rig the way I want it. In hindsight their were defenders out their st the time that I should have bought that had a winch bunper, lift etc on it and the cost would have been marginal . If your married or have a significant other they may get resentful if you start stock and then spend spare time modifying it as opposed to spending time with them. Also if you have a significant other try to include them in the purchase decision as it will help when 2 are vested in an purchase as opposed to one.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 07:57 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I think you're doing the right thing Steven. Learning as much as you can and keeping your eye out... It sounds like you're heart is set on a NAS and don't give up looking for one. Others may try to discourage you, but don't listen to them. They come up for sale in your price range every now and then. Of course be prepared to get your elbows really greasy fixing it up. Even the expensive ones are rarely perfect though, so as long as you don't mind hard work you may have found your home.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 08:44 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Of course you could just buy a brand new Jeep Wrangler for $25k. They're pretty sweet. Then you could spend more time doing fun little mods like adding LED headlights, running boards, and a sick sound system rather than trying to combat rust and other problems like you would with a neglected old Defender.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 08:50 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Or you could buy a Honda Civic and put in a kick ass stereo and lower it and get a chain steering wheel... And the mags baby... The mags... It's like shopping for a horse and buying a pony... Nothing wrong with a pony... But it isn't a horse.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 10:06 PM
smb09h
Steven
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
Agree 100% of the above advise. Think long and hard about how you want your truck set up. You will spend 3x the punt of money buying and fitting an upgrade - boer, light, rack, etc as you would buying the closest truck that matches your desired upgrades meaning buy a truck that is set up as close as possible to your want list and factor that want list cost into your initial purchase budget. I spent 7 years setting up the rig the way I want it. In hindsight their were defenders out their st the time that I should have bought that had a winch bunper, lift etc on it and the cost would have been marginal . If your married or have a significant other they may get resentful if you start stock and then spend spare time modifying it as opposed to spending time with them. Also if you have a significant other try to include them in the purchase decision as it will help when 2 are vested in an purchase as opposed to one.
Thanks a lot for the advice CDeWan. I will keep this in mind during my hunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
I think you're doing the right thing Steven. Learning as much as you can and keeping your eye out... It sounds like you're heart is set on a NAS and don't give up looking for one. Others may try to discourage you, but don't listen to them. They come up for sale in your price range every now and then. Of course be prepared to get your elbows really greasy fixing it up. Even the expensive ones are rarely perfect though, so as long as you don't mind hard work you may have found your home.

Of course you could just buy a brand new Jeep Wrangler for $25k. They're pretty sweet. Then you could spend more time doing fun little mods like adding LED headlights, running boards, and a sick sound system rather than trying to combat rust and other problems like you would with a neglected old Defender.
Haha thanks for the advice Chip. I am fine with the hard work. I am definitely going to just keep doing my homework and keeping my eyes peeled. I think I will pass on the Wrangler though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post
Or you could buy a Honda Civic and put in a kick ass stereo and lower it and get a chain steering wheel... And the mags baby... The mags... It's like shopping for a horse and buying a pony... Nothing wrong with a pony... But it isn't a horse.
Haha completely agree Arcadeus.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 10:43 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Is that what we think of Wranglers? A bit of snobbery no? lol Really though, I think the Wrangler has grown up to be quite a handsome young stallion. And the Defender isn't really a horse. It's more like an Ox. lol

------ Follow up post added April 23rd, 2015 07:53 PM ------

Actually here's the better analogy.

Wrangler is a mountain goat.

Defender is a yak.

Old April 23rd, 2015, 11:13 PM
smb09h
Steven
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Is that what we think of Wranglers? A bit of snobbery no? lol Really though, I think the Wrangler has grown up to be quite a handsome young stallion. And the Defender isn't really a horse. It's more like an Ox. lol

------ Follow up post added April 23rd, 2015 07:53 PM ------

Actually here's the better analogy.

Wrangler is a mountain goat.

Defender is a yak.

Haha no snobbery intended Chip. Several friends have the newer model Wranglers and I think they are very cool trucks. I just don't find them to be quite as cool or unique as the Defender.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 11:18 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I agree. It is Her Majesty's favourite as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90