looking to buy d90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 25th, 2005, 06:17 PM
kenny kustom
ken bryant
none

looking to buy d90

im looking at a 1994 d90. serial cdn13. i have done a lot a reserch online but i am wonder what to look for when i got to view it . the truck is about 3,000 km away from me so when i go look at it i want to be armed with as much information of what to look for as possible. any ideas and tips to look for would be helpful. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2005, 07:37 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

I don't have any very specific advice as far as condition and problem areas, I am sure guys here have more to say about it than I. I just bought my D90 and drove it 1500 miles home, flew out to inspect it and then bought it. I would say the best thing I did was to talk to the guy constantly, Art is a stand up guy and was very easy to talk to. Try to get every detail about the persons ownership as possible. Then ask again a couple days later and make sure the stories sync up. Also, ask to talk to the mechanic who services the vehicle. This was a big reassurance to me. I would also try to buy if possible from someone on the board or associated with a rover club becuase they are known to others and usually rover folks who are involved like people on this board or clubs take good care of their vehicles and are good people in general (its being a car person I think). Finally check for rust, this goes without saying. My rover, and all of them, has so many creases and cracks that its nice knowing they are free from rust.
Old April 25th, 2005, 07:58 PM
kenny kustom
ken bryant
none

That sounds like good advice , but i have one problem . i have found ONE d-90 for sale in canada. it is in montreal. at a VOLVO dealer. so asking questions is pretty useless. the dealership speaks horrific english. so its tough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

If I had not owned one, I would find someone that is a knowledgable owner and take them with you. Someone that does their own work. There are so many things to look for that this is the only way--or take it to a dealer and pay a mechanic to do a once over. If you don't know what to look for, this would be money well spent. I am sure there is a club member not far from the dealer that if you gave a six pack of beer to would be happy to meet you near the dealer. That, at least, is what I would do.
Old April 26th, 2005, 10:55 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

I asked around for a reputable shop. Had the seller take it there, talked to shop owner. Long story short, after the inspection and talking furthur to the shop owner I passed on the truck. Cost me a couple $, but saved me a ticket out (and back). Sometimes there is someone reasonably close by that can do a prelim check out for you before you fly out. HTH. YMMV.
-scott
Old April 26th, 2005, 11:05 AM
CDN22
Ken
1994 D90

Kenny,

$49,900 (CDN) is pretty steep for a D90 with 135,000 kms on it. If your heart is set on a Canadian badged NAS 90 your best bet will be Ontario (current listing on LRX for $31,500 in Toronto) or BC.

Given the recent relatively favourable exchange rates the US Defenders listed on this site also look good.

If you can live without the North American specs there are number of options in Canada on older D90s and 110s.

Patience. Good luck with your search.
Old April 26th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg067i
"...I just bought my D90 and drove it 1500 miles home, flew out to inspect it and then bought it. I would say the best thing I did was to talk to the guy constantly, Art is a stand up guy and was very easy to talk to. Try to get every detail about the persons ownership as possible...Also, ask to talk to the mechanic who services the vehicle. This was a big reassurance to me. I would also try to buy if possible from someone on the board or associated with a rover club becuase they are known to others and usually rover folks who are involved like people on this board or clubs take good care of their vehicles and are good people in general (its being a car person I think)..."
Thanks for the kind words Christian, it was a good experience for me as well. All except for the part when you drove off in my car Just kidding, I'm still a part of the Rover community. Nice avatar by the way

I second everything you said and would add from my experience that service records are the key.
Don't buy a Rover if you're not confident it's been serviced unless you are prepared for and can accept that it might not be in top condition. These things were essentially hand-built and some were better than others. I don't think anyone should be afraid of high mileage or off-road use if a vehicle has been taken care of. Worry when the seller can't (or won't) produce records.
I honestly believe that my 1st D90 ('95ST) was in better codition when I sold it with 80K miles than when it had 30K on it, because by that time all the things that weren't right from the factory were either replaced or repaired.

Regards,
Art Vigil
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Old April 26th, 2005, 07:08 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Art- Haven't had a chance to get her off road yet, I finish school in a week so thats the first chance to replace the picture. My favorite part of the transaction was trying to unlock the door with the wrong key, not a very smart move.

I almost think buying from a dealership puts you at some disadvantage only because you know they are trying to turn a profit. I felt 100 times more comfortable dealing with a dedicated rover owner than I did talking to the dealers in my area. In the end I think the more questions you ask the better, if the dealer is unwilling to help they aren't interested in your business. Chances are they are covering it up or don't want the hassle, either way I wouldn't want to give them my business.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90