looking for some honest advice.. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 18th, 2009, 12:37 PM
looking for some honest advice..

before I pull the trigger on buying a used D90. I have always LOVED them, but only now find myself in the position to buy one. Since you all have these in your blood, what would or are the biggest concerns when searching for one?

1) Are they prone to certain ailments (bad trans, engines, etc..)?
2) Is there a certain mileage I should look for (under 75k or something)?
3) Is an automatic better than a manual?

Old February 18th, 2009, 12:46 PM
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel
Welcome to the boards!

You will find this subject has been covered many times over. Use the search feature to find the threads.

Good luck

72 Series III 109 SW Diesel, 03 RR, 98 Porsche 986, 01 Porsche 986 3.6 L
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"
biggest concern: rust... and the fact that these are vehicles that are all getting fairly old

1- yes: pick your favorite poison... mostly prone to being British
2- as far as I know there is no drop dead mileage on a D: there are some really high milers that do great and there are some low milers that have a lot wrong with them... YMMV
3- better for what? I happen to prefer the manual, others prefer the auto, but "better" depends on what you want from it.
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665
The one thing I can tell you is I had a 90 with 100k miles on it and it drove and ran perfect. I would not be afraid of miles if the price was right and it was clean. In my opinion Rovers like to be driven. If it is well cared for dont be afraid of miles. All Rovers have ailments,you get used to that. I prefer a manual over an auto, I think it delivers the power better. Try to find one with a R380 trans if you can but I have had both manual trans and had no problems with either(LT77). The R380 shifts more like a car and the latter shifts more like a truck.
Old February 18th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS
the 95' D90 i am buying has about 88K on it

1 owner and no rust on the frame, the usual stuff on the tail pipe and rear bumper (both easily fixed)

This one was in much better shape than the other 5 or so that i looked at (some with much less miles)

I too have loved them from 1993 when i passed up buying a 110 for a landcruiser FJ80 (great truck but i would still have the 110)

From what i have seen is they all have some issues it depends on you really and the Price (i.e. if it is worth it to put up with/fix/ or run)
For me this one happens to be fairly priced for the condition and the options (no A/C which has put many buyers off i think)

i'd say keep looking and be ready to jump when you find a great one. (took me about 4 years to find a great one)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions