Looking for seat options - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 22nd, 2006, 07:07 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Looking for seat options

I'd like to replace the seats in my 110. They're 260k miles old and not very comfortable for longer trips. I've done the search and am soliciting advice on what the options are.

I have the seats from my '96 Discovery still but as they sit about 4" higher, I'd either have to put on a smaller steering wheel or cut into my seat box to get them to fit.

I could get seat covers and foam from Exmoor but it seems like after all the trouble and cost, I might not really have seats that are much more comfortable than what I have.

I could go with something like Recaros but they get quite expensive, and they really change the look of the vehicle. That's not the end of the world, but the attraction of using my Discovery seats (besides the fact that I already have them) is that at least they're a Land Rover product and not garishly out of place in the vehicle, in my opinion.

The other option is to find a nice used seat pair from another vehicle. However, it's a bit hit and miss on that front since I don't know what's a good fit and what isn't. So I thought I'd ask to see what others' opinions and experiences are.

Thanks a lot,
- Andrew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2006, 02:56 AM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

You might check this thread for more seat information.
Old November 28th, 2006, 08:49 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I bought a set of non electric front seats from a 90's Saab 900 2 door and made brackets in an afternoon. I just removed the plastic trim, original rails, and drivers height adjustment mechanism. Comfy, high backed (I was going from Series3 seats) and they are even heated though I have not played with wiring them up yet.
I redid the brackets after the photo to raise the rear of the seat a bit for a more comfortable angle and will probably get some black canvas covers for them at some point to match better. Also relocated the seat belt pivots to the roll bar which is tied into the frame. Total investment so far has been $65.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0198.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	7499  
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2006, 01:52 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Thanks to both of your for your posts and ideas. I have no idea how I missed that long and informative thread in my site search. Besides all the great options, maybe the most important thing I didn't consider was that I could sell my existing seats to help offset the cost of new ones! They're "County" seats from an '86 110. As far as I can see the actual frames are good but the foams and covers are shot. If I could get something for those then that would help me justify more expensive replacement seats.

The Saab seats sound like a good idea. Do the manual seats sit lower than the electrics? If I could find a set of manual Saab seats with leather and seat heaters (dunno if that exists) that might work. There are people around here selling fake Recaros but I haven't seen them in person.

I really appreciate the posts and that other link certainly contained a gold mine of information.

- Andrew.
Old November 28th, 2006, 05:28 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Kevin-
Can you get to the underseat box easily with you setup?
Old November 28th, 2006, 06:04 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Just undo the bolts. I don't keep anything in there but the jack, it's a series coiler, battery is up front.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 08:13 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Well, I bought some Saab 9000 seats yesterday. They're manual leather heated seats. Very nice. They only sit slightly higher than stock seats as can be seen at http://www.clarke.ca/gallery/view_ph...10&id=DSC_8058 , and from looking underneath the seat rails there would be an easy way to redrill a couple holes in the seat base and lower them an additional inch or so.

I wanted to install them in my truck this afternoon, but I need some sturdy metal to bolt to the seat box to provide more secure mounting points than the seat box. I guess I'll have to wait until after Christmas to actually install them but when I do I'll try to post a little write-up, because if I can do it, anyone can.

Merry Christmas to all,
- Andrew.
Old December 29th, 2006, 12:22 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

If anyone's interested, I've put a small writeup of what we went through to get the Saab 9000 seats into my 110. The link is http://www.clarke.ca/SaabSeatsInLandRover110.php . I'm pretty happy with things so far, and the seats sure are comfy!

I now have my two original 110 CSW front seats surplus. Any idea what they're worth?

Happy New Year,
- Andrew.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions