Looking for reputable D-90 restoration service - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 12th, 2007, 10:35 AM
portocar
nestor portocarrero
none

Looking for reputable D-90 restoration service

I live in Miami, Florida, and Iím interested in having a Defender 90 Soft-Top rebuilt/restored for me from scratch. I even want whoever does the rebuild to procure the donor vehicle.

There seem to be an overwhelming number of companies and individuals that offer complete refurbishing services. However, I am a neophyte, and could really use some help.

Would you be kind enough to recommend a company/individual that offers quality rebuild services at a reasonable price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2007, 10:53 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by portocar
Would you be kind enough to recommend a company/individual that offers quality rebuild services at a reasonable price?
Ahhh, that's where you hit the fork in the road...

I'm assuming that location of the shop isnt necessarly a factor. I personally like http://www.trailhead4x4.com/, Eric is reasonable and very knowledgable. He isn't out to flip you over and shake out your last penny.

Not sure if TDI Guy does side work or has the time, but check this out: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=1791

I've heard great things about another board member here name Pendy, but don't know him personally.

And if you haven't already, the grand pooba of all things Rover http://www.eastcoastrover.com/? Click on the individual pics from this link to see some of the work that has been done. http://www.eastcoastrover.com/90work.html (Note: be prepared to remortgage you home )

Good luck and remember to let us know what you end up doing. Pics of your project would be good too!
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
East Coast rover is fully booked for this year, if you can't wait, I recommend Pendy (based on personal experience and satisfaction). Pendy is in Kansas. Safari Rover is the best know AND closest to you on this forum, since he's in Orlando. (http://www.safarirover.com/)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

Used to live in Coral Gables 8 years not a good place for a soft top unless you have a garage and just use it for fun drives. I wouldn't trust a D-90 parked on the street in Miami for 10 mins...alot of stolen cars being shipped out of the country and you know how people would drool over a Defender.

but to answer your question, if you have the money and the patience, East Coast Rover does an amazing job. The problem is they are always booked which tells you something about their reputation.
www.eastcoastrover..com
Old June 12th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

The 4x4 Center in Burlington, VT does that type of high-end work. I sent my RRC there a few years ago. It was really expensive, but they were meticulous and use genuine parts if that is the type of thing you are looking for. They have some affiliation with Rovers North.

http://www.the4x4center.com
Old June 12th, 2007, 02:26 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
www.overlandengineering.com
Old June 12th, 2007, 05:00 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

I second David's recommendation of Matt Browne at Overland Engineering. Matt is a gifted mechanic, charges a fair price, and is also a very nice guy.
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:59 PM
FLA.DEF90
Scott Larabee
1995 Defender 90

Talking Ecr is at least 2 years out-I know first hand

Quote:
I live in Miami, Florida, and Iím interested in having a Defender 90 Soft-Top rebuilt/restored for me from scratch. I even want whoever does the rebuild to procure the donor vehicle.

There seem to be an overwhelming number of companies and individuals that offer complete refurbishing services. However, I am a neophyte, and could really use some help.

My car is at ECR now for over a year. With more than a year to go.

Find another!
Old June 12th, 2007, 09:08 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

So, you're not recommending ECR? Just curious, not trying to hijack..
Old June 12th, 2007, 09:13 PM
FLA.DEF90
Scott Larabee
1995 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR
So, you're not recommending ECR? Just curious, not trying to hijack..
I would highly recommend if you can wait 2 to 3 years.

I shipped my car from CA. IN JUNE OF 2006. Currently there are over 14 land rovers infront of mine.
They are the best, but at what price?
Old June 12th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

14 months ouch ! My D-90 was at ECR about 4 months but I knew I was at the end of the line going into it. I can sympathize with you and your eagerness to get your truck back, but for me it was worth the wait knowing my truck was in tip top shape and I could drive it with confidence.

But 14 months....not sure if any company is worth that wait

good luck
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:04 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA.DEF90
I would highly recommend if you can wait 2 to 3 years.

I shipped my car from CA. IN JUNE OF 2006. Currently there are over 14 land rovers infront of mine.
They are the best, but at what price?
Holy Shnikey! I am pretty sure that I could not hold off for 2-3 years. I am jonesing to get back behind the wheel after a few days away on business. Given it is my daily driver, perhaps when the bulkhead does finally go or my old 3.9 calls it quits, I may have to pick myself up a 90 to get me through the seperation anxiety while someone a little more skilled than I takes the steps to get the 110 to its second life.

Given Pendy is right down the road, he will likely get my business.
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Matt,
You should have come down to pendy's when I was there picking my 110 up, so we could celebrate it's 2nd lease on life launching!
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:46 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

thanks for the kind words guys. I'm booked for major work for at least the next year just with trucks from Fla. never mind the rest.

and I don't charge any less than ECR.

and I don't have a (real) web site 'cause I can't weld one.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:19 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

This guy is trying to decide between a Wrangler or a D90. So I am having trouble taking him seriously. People reburbish these trucks after some ownership with pride, not to make it look like a new car they can show off.

Guess I lost that job. Oh well.

Next.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
why don't you just buy one that is already working. there's lots of them for sale all the time. yes they are all at least 10 years old but some of them are still pretty nice.

dave

Quote:

Old June 13th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
why don't you just buy one that is already working. there's lots of them for sale all the time. yes they are all at least 10 years old but some of them are still pretty nice.

dave

Good suggestion. This is the same long offered advice given by those in the collector car business. Buy the best condition car you can afford, because any work will cost multiples its finished worth. You could spend well over $50k refurbing a beat up Defender (not including vehicle purchase price). Or, you could buy a great one even in the high $20's only needing minor cosmetic maintenance or lower tier part replacement and you will come out ahead. Avoid total expenditures exceeding the level buyers typically pay for a vehicle in similar condition.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d-90, restoration, service