Looking for POE picture help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 19th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Looking for POE picture help

Can one of you POE guys post any pix of how the bottom edge seal of your rear liftgate is configured? I just want to see how the factory did it so that I can compare with how crummy of a job I did...mine doesn't seal very well and before I do anything else, I'd like to see what was stock...thanks in advance!
George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2007, 11:41 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Hi George,

I don't have a stock POE but I installed a lift gate on my '97 when I put a NAS SW hardtop and roll cage on my truck 4 years ago. here is link to picks I posted awhile back. It may help you if you can't find pics of the factory POE.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...highlight=LenB

Opps! Sorry I didn't see on the other thread that you saw my solution..... I am curious to see how the factory solved the issue as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 19th, 2007, 11:55 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Randy (TDI Guy) fabbed up a nice bracket that bolts onto the rear liftgate. It holds the liftgate against the rear door when it is closed.

and Randy, if you see this thread, i'm going to need one of those brackets fabbed up soon i think! im leaking precious hot air out the back!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	POE.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	11419  
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2007, 05:54 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Jeff, It looks like that lift gate is nicely broken in - nice and crusty!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 19th, 2007, 07:37 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
When I restored my '64 109 I had a lot of crusty parts - large and small - I was surprised how sand blasting and my die grinder with a while wheel cleaned up everything. ( i stand corrected not one wire wheel - but at least 30!)

Len

Old December 19th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Hi...
still looking for the Defender POE liftgate solution...as someone else noted, the series system isnt the perfect solution for the D90 ST conversion...thanks for posting though
Old December 20th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenB
Hi George,
I am curious to see how the factory solved the issue as well.
What makes you so sure the factory solved the issue?
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:54 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88
Randy (TDI Guy) fabbed up a nice bracket that bolts onto the rear liftgate. It holds the liftgate against the rear door when it is closed.

and Randy, if you see this thread, i'm going to need one of those brackets fabbed up soon i think! im leaking precious hot air out the back!

Hot air out ff the back huh?? lol.. I can get another one made for you I'm sure... I will post pics of it shortly to show everyone
Old December 20th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Andrew,
I used to own a POE and I seem to recall the factory solution worked
Old December 23rd, 2007, 04:40 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz
My wifes '94 D90 POE #1500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkase
Hi...
still looking for the Defender POE liftgate solution...as someone else noted, the series system isnt the perfect solution for the D90 ST conversion...thanks for posting though
Here's a few shots of my wife's '94 POE. Hope these help.
Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2721.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	11456   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2722.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	11457  

Name:	IMG_2723.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	11458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2724.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	11459  

Name:	IMG_2726.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	11460  

Old December 23rd, 2007, 08:19 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz

Registry
Well, at least that is the way this one is set up, and from all paperwork I have (which is quite a bit of it all the way from original purchase), it's original. We haven't had any trouble with the seals leaking so far.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:03 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
They carried that same design over to the fiberglass hardtops. When I had my fiberglass hardtop the lifgate/tailgate never leaked. When I put together my SW hardtop with liftgate I thought about using the same concept, but because the liftgate hinges (series hinges) looked a little sloppy (side to side) compared to the fiberglass liftgate I came up with my other solution. Do you get much rattle action from the liftgate while 4 wheeling? The factory solution is nice and simple so I may go ahead and replicate it for my truck.

Thanks

Old December 23rd, 2007, 11:32 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz

Registry
It's quite solid...or so it seems. There's so many other things making noise, sometimes it's hard to pin the blame on any one part. Most of the noise is really just because the headliner is out and there's no carpet. We got it with only the HL over the front seats. And that was sagging woefully so I just yanked it and put it in the garage attic for later reference if needed. Probably eventually go with a La Salle...but I digress with tangential vicissitudes.
Old December 24th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Pete,
thanks very much for those pix...finally answers those few nagging questions I had...it helps a lot...
George

By the way...what happened to her spare tire carrier?
Old December 24th, 2007, 12:09 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz

Registry
That's the way we got it last August. It looks to me like, at some point, it was rear ended. The paperwork from the original purchase says that it had a carrier, the OE rear bumper/hitch, and the OE running boards. All of them are now gone (we have since replaced the running boards).

I figured the carrier and the bumper got damaged enough that the previous owner just removed them. Don't know why the running boards are gone. Now I want to replace them both but it's going to cost me a fortune. Know anybody that has 'em lying around in their garage after an upgrade?

So, I see your Rover is a '95. Do you have another one that's a POE? I'm a newby at the Rover scene and I thought all the POE's were '94s. We're having so much fun with it. My 16 year old daugher and I flew to Virginia and drove it back to WI. Great adventure with her, and good experience driving a manual gearbox. She drives it to high school now.

Happy Holidays!
Pete
Old December 24th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Pete,
I used to own one and decided I needed to sell it...I have bought and sold 4
d90s before this 95 and hope that I have finally learned my lesson...don't sell it cause you're gonna want it back sooner or later...don't buy that bumper new...keep your eye out for the for sale parts ads on this site...they come up every once in a while...also, post an ad in the wanted section...
this site will be an invaluable resource for you and your Rover...
best regards of the season!
George
Old December 25th, 2007, 01:28 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
All the POE's were 94's but some of us have modified trucks. My POE is missing the hard top because the PO installed a soft top cage, whereas my formerly soft top 95 became a hardtop when I installed a POE-like setup.

Old December 26th, 2007, 04:02 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz

Registry
Ok, so is a POE an NAS or Euro-spec?

Old December 27th, 2007, 08:57 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
They're all NAS, but I dont understand the question exactly. Why would you confuse them with Euro Spec? I missed that part.

All POE hard tops were formerly NAS Soft Tops modifed once they reached the states (at the Port of Entry) to Hard Top configuration. When we talk about a POE-style top, we mean one that has a rear lift gate and tailgate instead of a full station wagon rear door.

Old January 5th, 2008, 08:08 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz

Registry
Okay, I guess I'll rephrase the question to more generalities, how is an NAS different than a Euro spec? Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm a newby at all this Rover stuff.
Thanks!
Pete

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions