Looking for help on What D90 to buy, please help. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 11th, 2007, 04:32 PM
jamesbash
James Bash
None

Question Looking for help on What D90 to buy, please help.

I am looking to buy a D90, it is between the 1995 and the 1997, I think I am going to get the 1995 for I think the manual will be a more fun car to drive since I am only going to be using it on weekends and on short trips, I am thinking of going off road too not too much.

What I need is help with regards to the 1995 soft top or the hard top. What is the better way to go and why, I do live in Cal and the soft top would be nice but the hard top is quite and will not leak. What has a better resale and why? I know the hardtop in 95 is limited to only 500.

I am looking at a 95 with 60K that is the soft top and a 95 with 28K that is a hard top. What do you guys recommend, and why.

Thanks

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2007, 05:02 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

I've had both '97 and '95. For a daily driver I preferred the '97...I'm lazy when it comes to a clutch in traffic. For a weekend/fun car I prefer my '95. I'd say the same thing for myself about ST vs. SW. When it was my daily driver and I had to commute 60 miles a day in it I was glad I had a wagon. Now that I don't have to drive it when I don't want to I'm glad I have the soft top.

Also...don't think that a SW won't leak. I've noticed I actually get less water in the car with the ST with the fiberglass top than I did with the SW.

On the other hand the SW was much more quiet on the highway (the ST is very loud even with the fiberglass top).
Old December 11th, 2007, 05:22 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Buy the better deal. If the one with 28k is priced at a premium, you will lose that value quickly if you actually put miles on it.
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Happyxhour
Robert
94/Defender

The pricing premium on a low milage car is a great point as well the opposing point of maintenance you will have to budget for if you purchase a D90 with many miles on it (tires, o2 sensors, ignition, etc).

Being your from San Dimas as a fellow SoCal'er your gonna be running hot in SoCal weather in a SWagon versus the options that come with a STop...surrey top...bikini...No Top! To me I didnt see the benefit of a station wagon except for security of locking things up and snow running which can be little harder with the STop to keep warm.

Also since you mentioned for weekend use or trips manual should be fine....daily driving sucks with a manual in traffic.
Old December 11th, 2007, 06:19 PM
jamesbash
James Bash
None

They are both the same price.
Old December 11th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Overland90
Chris
95/D90 #169; Aston Martin

Registry
Smile Upland, CA suggests Hard top wagon

I have a D90 Wagon (48K Miles) ...Upland, CA. I debated the soft -vs- wagon. Wagon won out...but definatley needed the AC. It bakes 9 months out of the year here and it can be pretty freakin uncomfortable...kids naggin' and wife get's pissy.

Security is also an issue...too many thieves...too few cool cars in the valley.

If the price is the same...and your inland So. Cal, do the wagon w/ AC.

Also, check all fluids all the time! and keep a grease gun handy.

You will not regret either purchase...they are "bomb proof."

Had it at Mt. Baldy (fresh powder) this past weekend...people stopping me all the way asking me about the "cool sled." attached

Email me when you take ownership...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2486Email.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	11320  
Old December 11th, 2007, 08:12 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Smile

I have the ST and I live in Calgary. Down jacket and long underwear in the winter to make it bearable. In the summer though when we get into the high 80s and 90s it is unbearable with the top on. I have the bikini top which I would think is a must for SoCal and take off the door tops. Get a tuffy box for some security. If somebody wants what's in it nothing will stop them, ST nor SW. If you are worried about leaks spend the cash on a Badger Top. I hear they are the bees knees ( that's very good ). The 5 speed is very fun to drive, even better with a nice exhaust, NRP, Magnaflow, etc. I would opt for the 95 ST as it has so much more potential. I have a 94 for sale if you're interested. $27,000. Driving down the highway with the bikini top on and the door tops off is pretty close to the sweetest thing around. A jeep couldn't even come close so don't even think about it.
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I know of a black 84 sw/w a/c & r380 with 38k for sale for 21k if you are interested.
Old December 12th, 2007, 10:23 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I would buy the SW unless it is rusty.
Old December 12th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
My .02... I also use my 90 for what you are saying you will do. Weekend use, good weather, some beach driving, but not rock crawling or hard core. I love, and would have nothing else than a soft top. My top has been off for a year now. My truck is a manual and does not have A/C. Granted, certain periods when I used it as my daily driver, I wished for a SW and A/C. But as a secondary "garage toy" I say soft top all the way. You will not be disapointed either way though.
Good luck with your choice, and welcome to the club!
Old December 12th, 2007, 11:25 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Both are great.

SW has a bit less elbow room than soft top because of the roll up door windows.

Given your intended usage and location, my .02 cents, go with the soft top.

Just don't park and leave it unattended in Pomona.....
Old December 12th, 2007, 11:43 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
In CA, frankly, you want the soft top. What is going to happen is that you'll find the d90 to be your least comfortable, least efficient, noisiest vehicle, and you will take it everywhere! So basically, you need to plan on what you want if you drive the d90 all the time, everywhere you go - and having lived in CA for a couple years, I can say, for me, its the soft top. I solved the security problem by purchasing a Tuffy drawer to go in the cargo area. If you need to use the rear seat, just modify it to sit atop the drawer - its not that hard. Just be prepared to set all the other cars aside and bid them "au revoir." The d90 is the only form of transport you need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 12th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Happyxhour
Robert
94/Defender

Cool

Wow nice pic Kris...looks like you may need to upgrade your personnel carrier to a 110! : )
Now you got me thinking about driving my D90 down to Redlands next week and make a run up to Big Bear for powda.

Of course gas prices being what they I may need to defray the cost into 08. But then again that why I dont drive a Hybrid I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overland90
I have a D90 Wagon (48K Miles) ...Upland, CA. I debated the soft -vs- wagon. Wagon won out...but definatley needed the AC. It bakes 9 months out of the year here and it can be pretty freakin uncomfortable...kids naggin' and wife get's pissy.

Security is also an issue...too many thieves...too few cool cars in the valley.

If the price is the same...and your inland So. Cal, do the wagon w/ AC.

Also, check all fluids all the time! and keep a grease gun handy.

You will not regret either purchase...they are "bomb proof."

Had it at Mt. Baldy (fresh powder) this past weekend...people stopping me all the way asking me about the "cool sled." attached

Email me when you take ownership...
Old December 12th, 2007, 02:36 PM
jamesbash
James Bash
None

If I do go with the hard top, can I latter make it a soft top? Is the hard top removable?

Thanks to all of you for all your help.
Old December 12th, 2007, 02:48 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Everything is "removable" on a defender. Check out the projects section for some conversions (there is at least on going each way from SW to ST and vice versa). I'm not sure if one conversion or another is cheaper (neither is cheap).

Old December 12th, 2007, 02:49 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
Hi James,

Removing the hard top is abut a 6 hour job, and not one you want to do very often. Plus if you want to convert to a soft top you are missing many pieces that a solf top comes with from the factory.

My 95 SW is a daily driver, it leaks when it rains, is hot in the summer even with AC but fun to drive. For a weekend vehcile you would be very happy with the soft top though.
Old December 12th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Another option is the factory "fibergalss" hard top. It fits on a stock soft top D90 with little modification. They are hard to find, expensive, and a mess to remove and put on. I found a good deal on one a few years back and decided to install it. After a while with no A/C and no air flow I quickly went back to my soft top.
Do a search on Badger tops http://www.badgercoachworks.com/ These are the best, quietest, and water tight tops available. Better than the hard top....
Old December 12th, 2007, 03:42 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Get both... I would get the soft top, if it is going to be a fun and weekend truck. Also, if they are exactly the same price, go for the 97, as it will have slightly better resale.

My ST is a weekend/fun and off-road truck... I have not had the top on in over 4 years. I either run no top or the surry top.

My wife drives the SW as her daily driver... You can't go wrong either way.

Old December 12th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Overland90
Chris
95/D90 #169; Aston Martin

Registry
110 or bust! I agree. My lovely wife has to agree? No "Cajones" here. However, she's pretty solid on the whole defender thing!
Old December 18th, 2007, 02:10 PM
jamesbash
James Bash
None

Talking

Thanks to all of you for all of your input. I did just get one; I got a 1995 D90 Green with a hard top #478 out of 500 made. It is a one owner truck looks brand new with only 28,000 miles for a really great price really I got it for a great price and did not pay a premium for it. I look forward to sharing my adventures with all of you. Thanks again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90