Looking for Front Seat Suggestions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 23rd, 2005, 04:35 AM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Looking for Front Seat Suggestions

I'm restoring a IIA w/ a few Defender parts (such as the seat box) and am looking for seat suggestions. Comfort is a high priority.

Up until this evening, I had been talking to a fellow in Vancouver, BC about buying a set of his Exmoor Trim Trakker Extremes. Unfortunately, every time I asked for further clarification about his prices, his quote would increase. Now that I am close to understanding his pricing (and might even have been willing to buy a set), he sold the seats I want. The price he quotes from the factory is even more - $1350 w/out runners or heat. Argh!

At this point, I'm debating just running to the local junkyard for a set or Subaru seats (or whatever) and futzing with the customization to get them to fit. Anyone have any other/better suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2005, 08:01 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Corbeau makes some nice seats a few people, including the main moderator of this site have in their D's.

On the Exmoor's, why not get some used Defender seats and order the retrim kit yourself from Exmoor? That would be much cheaper than dealing with some dude.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 08:12 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

CVCs writeup on the seats Dave mentioned

http://www.defendersource.com/mod/corbeau.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2005, 02:37 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I just put a set of the Bestop Trailmax Pro seats in last weekend. They are even running a $50 rebate. I bought the black denim vinyl seats but they also come with cloth inserts and can be heated. I had to fabricate a bracket to get them to fit in the stock mounting holes. I think these seats are many times more comfortable then the stock seats. I also have them mounted a litte higher and they slide back further so it feels more comfortable on my legs. My only complaint is that I am 6'1" and 220lbs and the seats are a little narrow right below my shoulder blades. Other than that I like them.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 04:20 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

I like the Corbeau suggestion and had considered them at one point. A couple of things crossed them off my list. Having to crawl over the outer edge/lip of the seat base when getting in/out of the truck and the lack of easy access to the battery tray beneath the driver's seat.

That's a great write-up. It also brings up one more potential issue -- the backorder on seat mounts. Chris (the author) states that he waited 2 months for the driver side and 6 months for the passenger side. I really hope to be driving my truck w/in a couple of months.

David says, On the Exmoor's, why not get some used Defender seats and order the retrim kit yourself from Exmoor? That would be much cheaper than dealing with some dude.

What kind of prices do used Defender seats fetch?

I see that you have the XS trim on your seats. Are the center patches (that look to have different texture) also leather?

Thanks for the ideas. This is great.

Follow-up Post:

Craig says, I just put a set of the Bestop Trailmax Pro seats in last weekend.

What kind of battery tray access do these seats give you? I'd rather not have to unbolt the seats to get to the tray.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 05:46 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I have to unbolt the seats... The bolts are easy to access and it takes lees than 2 minutes. I now have to carry a 13mm socket everywhere I go though. Considering I have looked at the battery once in the last 2 years I was not to worried about access to the battery compartment. Now when I go in for service and they want to disconnect the battery that could be a different story.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 05:53 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

www.mastercraftseats.com

These are arguably the best you can buy. There is another one too, NPR? Something like that. They are always bantered about as being very good also.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 06:16 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Craigd says, The bolts are easy to access and it takes lees than 2 minutes.

This is good information. Thanks.

Buckon37s says, These are arguably the best you can buy.

Nice selection of seats. They look like they're perfect for rock crawlers with the slot for the 4-point harnesses. I couldn't locate any seat mounts for Land Rovers nor could I find the heater options. I found it interesting that you had to click on the 'Buy Now' button just to see the pricing for the seats.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 06:36 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey,

I missed that you were looking for heaters. These guys don't provide that option. They do have awesome lumbar support and if you get the seat tilted right they are extremely comfy. The mounts for LR are sold by SG for like $75 but I made my own for about $8 for 2 seats. I don't know why they did the pricing like that. The site used to be different. The seats were a good fit. Just about perfect actually.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 23rd, 2005, 07:20 PM
dameek
Dennis Meek
95 D90 #2826 Bought New

I have the MasterCraft Rubicon's and I would never go back to the stock seat. The only bad decision I made was to order the Safari Gard seat mounts. After months of waiting they finally arrived but poor quality.
I only have to remove one wing nut and pull the pins on front of the brackets and the seats are out. Less than a minute to remove.
I have had them about 4 years and they look as good as the day I put them in and they are very comfortable.

Dennis
Old March 23rd, 2005, 08:16 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
You can easily find used seat frame for D's on Craddocks, through RDS, etc. Or you could do something more nifty and incorporate some DII or DI seats such as this pair on ebay.

Old March 24th, 2005, 05:06 AM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

David says, Or you could do something more nifty and incorporate some DII or DI seats such as this pair on

I admit I'm a glutton for punishment but even I have limits. Thanks but I'll pass on electric Discovery seats.
Old March 24th, 2005, 10:07 AM
jabber
m j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Hey,

I missed that you were looking for heaters. These guys don't provide that option. They do have awesome lumbar support and if you get the seat tilted right they are extremely comfy. The mounts for LR are sold by SG for like $75 but I made my own for about $8 for 2 seats. I don't know why they did the pricing like that. The site used to be different. The seats were a good fit. Just about perfect actually.
Dave, could you post some pics of your fabbed seat mounts?? I've been toying with the idea of new seats... But shit 75 for a bracket??? just plain
Old March 24th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I know! SG is amazing that way. I will post some up for you as soon as the truck is back to me. Probably friday. I used 1/4 bar stock, pretty simple but works well.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 24th, 2005, 10:52 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Yes Dave please post pictures. I have the SG for both front and rear and they are PITA. In fact installing the rear seat is a two man job
Old March 24th, 2005, 11:32 AM
jabber
m j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
www.mastercraftseats.com

These are arguably the best you can buy. There is another one too, NPR? Something like that. They are always bantered about as being very good also.

Did you mean http://www.prpseats.com/

These look pretty comfy, a little cheaper than mastercraft.
Old March 24th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Note the easy low bolsters on the new Corbeau Legacy:

http://www.corbeau.com/products/legacy/legacy.shtml
Old March 24th, 2005, 02:18 PM
jbgunner
Jeffrey Bender
1995 NAS D90

ya and they are just about the ugliest damn things i ever seen as well
Old March 24th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Well, they ain't for looks they're for function. If you want really ugly, take a look at the chairs nascar driver's sit in.

You could go with these if you don't want to do a 4 point strap in: http://www.corbeau.com/products/gts2/gts2.shtml#

Only issue there is, althout the shoulder and kidney bolsters are lessened, the seat bolsters (to compensate) are much higher. Don't wanna be bangin my lid on no roll cage.

DW
Old March 24th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber
Did you mean http://www.prpseats.com/

These look pretty comfy, a little cheaper than mastercraft.
Yeah,

Thats the one I was thinking of. I might get there bench seat for the rear since they are around $100 cheaper

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions