Looking for Front Seat Suggestions - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 24th, 2005, 11:56 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

PRP's are what I've had in my J**p for about 9 years now... Soft top never on in the summer... They have lived well and are still going strong!! And comfy... There will be a set in my Disco Very soon..

Keith

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Well, they ain't for looks they're for function. If you want really ugly, take a look at the chairs nascar driver's sit in.

You could go with these if you don't want to do a 4 point strap in: http://www.corbeau.com/products/gts2/gts2.shtml#

Only issue there is, althout the shoulder and kidney bolsters are lessened, the seat bolsters (to compensate) are much higher. Don't wanna be bangin my lid on no roll cage.

DW
Those are the seats I have in the CrewCab. I also have a set of Corbeau's in the Serious One too. I like 'em both for different reasons. I have 4-point belts in the S1, with the TRS seats are very safe (comfy too).

Custom seat brackets allow access to the battery box in the S1, and also have front/back movement with the generic Corbeau rail set.
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Michael,

Do those high-sided lower bolsters on the GTS and TRS bother your 'co-drivers' ? That's the main reason I'm planning the Legacy's -- that they are designed for easier in and out. My rig, with no side steps when on the trail and a 2 inch lift, is a pretty big climb for family as is, never mind adding another one or two inches to the seat edge as an obstacle....

DW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Truth be told...yeah, I'm constantly apologizing for the Corbeau's when someone new gets into the CrewCab. The Serious One, not so much, they are too overwhelmed by the weirdness of it to pay much attention to the seats. The CrewCab is more 'traditional', and people expect to be able to get in like a 'normal' Defender (if there is one).

I don't have side steps on the CrewCab, which makes it a bit of a challenge to get on the slider then get into the seats.

My wife, who is 5'4", is looking at me like I'm crazy/stupid for even asking her what she thinks of the seats and if they're a problem. Apparently I'm more self concious about it than I really need to be.
Old May 7th, 2005, 04:22 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

My apologies for digging up a long-dead thread but I wanted to update folks on my solution. The original message was me asking for front seat suggestions.

I ended up purchasing some used front Defender seats from someone who contacted me here for $350+shipping. The seats are ok but one of the seat-backs arrived with a pretty good twist to it and two of the mounting pieces that connect to the rails appear to have been lost in shipping.
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Rob
rob
1997 D90

Corbeau

Has anyone put the Corbeau seat (with or without the brackets) in to a '97 ST?
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:11 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I need to update the write up I did on those seats. Someone else from the site just went through hoops to get the mounts and it seems even harder now with the lack of knowledge of their own product history at Corbeau, to get the right mounts.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old May 9th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Rob
rob
1997 D90

for a 97 defender, their chart says to get a D1100NS (no sliders) for both seats - supposedly, the stock sliders attach directly to their mount....

Follow-up Post:

my mistake - that was for a disco - the part # for both sides is D1084T which is the part # chris said to avoid!!
Old May 9th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

You could do what this guy did...

http://www.redoxide.com/Defender/mod...ts_fitting.asp
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Rob
rob
1997 D90

the corbeau mounts are in stock for the d90 - order and ship same day....
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:15 AM
Rob
rob
1997 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
www.mastercraftseats.com

These are arguably the best you can buy. There is another one too, NPR? Something like that. They are always bantered about as being very good also.

How do you access the rear with these seats?
Old June 8th, 2005, 04:47 AM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Follow-up on my purchase ...

I have to say I'm really disappointed with my choice of used, stock Defender seats. I ended up purchasing a set from someone named Martin on this forum for $350+shipping. This seemed like a fair price and they even arrived quickly. Unfortunately, there were a couple of problems with the seats.

First, some of the mounting hardware was missing. These was supposed to be a complete package. The seller was supposed to send them but I've yet to see anything. I'm not too concerned about the mounting brackets either because it's pretty easy to fabricate something or because it pales in comparison to the second issue.

The second issue has to do with the passenger seat. Now I understand that these are used seats and won't be perfect but something as serious as this really ought to be mentioned prior to the sale. You see, the passenger seat is so tweaked that the passenger ends up looking just to the left of the A-Pillar.

When I mentioned this to Martin, his response was "must have happened in shipping" and wanted nothing further to do with the problem. If it really was damaged in shipping, then there should be some kind of coverage or claim to be made against the shipping company.

I revisited the images Martin had sent prior to the purchase and, sure enough, there's some serious tweakage in the passenger seat. How had I missed it, you ask? Well, it turns out that the images were all taken in such a manner as to minimize the effect of the tweaked passenger seat. That's right. You have to know what you're looking for to see the issue. Argh!

So ... here I go from being dicked around by some reseller to being dicked-around by a d-90.com member. I have to admit, my faith in my fellow Land Rover owners is quickly diminishing. I consider my fortunate that I've had some outstanding experiences and hope that I was unlucky enough to have encountered two rotten apples in a row.

If I seem a bit hesitant about trusting any of you in the future, please accept my apologies and understand I've been crisply burned twice now and am trying to get past my bad experiences.
Old June 8th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
How do you access the rear with these seats?
Either pull one or go through the center. There is no way to fold them down.

-I am sorry to hear someone took advantage of you. I have never had anything but good luck with the people here I have bought and sold to.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 8th, 2005, 09:35 AM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

Sandro,

I don't know "Martin" or what his seats he sent to you looked like, but for $350 you kind of get what you pay for. Stock D90 seats in good condition usually start out a like $700 and go up from there. I just paid a little of $800 for my new "use" seats. So don't feel too burned. This is just an FYI I am not trying to take sides.
Old June 8th, 2005, 09:41 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Please keep this thread on track with technical discussions of seat options. Posts regarding ones displeasure/disagreement with a purchase from a classified listing should not be posted in a technical thread. If someone feels the need to follow up on a transaction, they should post it in the thread it pertains too such as the classified listing they purchased the item from or in the Misc section.

Thanks

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old February 26th, 2006, 04:23 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Does anyone have pics of the SG mounts for the mastercrafts? Also, what is the good mastercraft to get? The Rubicon? Are they hard to get into?
Old February 26th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Yo,

The best mastercraft fit seems to be the Rubicon. The only downside is the tilt from front to rear on the D90 is not steep enough to get a real comfy feel. I had to tilt mine back about 1.25in more to feel comfy. Now, I bought PRP seats for the rear of mine after running the Mastercraft for a year or so in the front. The PRP seats are identical to the Mastercraft. They are so similar that I am surprised there hasn't been an issue with the two companies. But, the PRP are cheaper so you might consider them. Yes, they are harder to get into than a standard seat, but your so young and strong!

I don't have a pic of the SG seat mount, but if you have your stock rail, I can fab you up mounts for $10 worth of steel, they slide and everything!

offtopic- Did you end up having the rear ball joint boot???

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old February 26th, 2006, 05:54 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Non electric saab 900 seats are supposed to be an easy fit. I have an article on installing them around here somewhere.
Old February 26th, 2006, 07:22 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
David, I will check for that boot tomorrow.. I was interested in the Rubi seats because of that lumbar support. After sitting in my truck for a 160 mile ride each way, my back hurts. Was thinking they might be a bit more comfortable to be in for a long period of time.. What do you guys think? who has the Rubis in there truck? lets see pics?
David, what is it just the side of the seat you have to kind of jump over to get your ass in place? How is it once you are in there?
Old February 26th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
David, I will check for that boot tomorrow.. I was interested in the Rubi seats because of that lumbar support. After sitting in my truck for a 160 mile ride each way, my back hurts. Was thinking they might be a bit more comfortable to be in for a long period of time.. What do you guys think? who has the Rubis in there truck? lets see pics?
David, what is it just the side of the seat you have to kind of jump over to get your ass in place? How is it once you are in there?

Sweet on the boot.

On the seat, I would say they lean more to the race/performance than they do to the long drive comfort. Whenever I had a long drive in these my back started hurting. But, I have a very bad back and I had the seat too upright. It made a big difference when I tilted them back. I swear, the most comfy seat I ever sat in for a long drive was my Dads Buick park avenue. Somehow I doubt anyone can fit one of those in there!

The only reason they are a little hard to get into is the side like you said. Takes a little hop. But, I still think these are the best 4-wheeling seat I have ever sat in. Keep you in solid and comfy. Here are some pics, one of the rear PRP too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010211.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	5148   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010213.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	5149  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010212.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	5150  

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions