Looking for Defender Knowledge... - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 20th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
I thought the first 200Tdi was late 1990?

EPA 21 years so why 25 for RORO imports?
200 tdi was offered from 89 to 93. 300 from 93 to 2006.

Epa 21 yrs, Dot 25yrs. Whether you ship ro/ro or container or drive it across the border has no bearing on import laws- same laws apply to all avenues of entry.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
200 tdi was offered from 89 to 93. 300 from 93 to 2006.

Epa 21 yrs, Dot 25yrs. Whether you ship ro/ro or container or drive it across the border has no bearing on import laws- same laws apply to all avenues of entry.
Thanks for the corrections Doug!

FoxCustom:

If you want a gas engine, get a 3.9 or 4.0. If you want a diesel, go 200Tdi or newer. The older (RoW) gas & diesel engines were pretty weak in both power & reliability.

Good luck!

Paul.
Old February 1st, 2013, 09:21 PM
FoxCustom
Fox
Searching

Just wondering about parts sources/catalogs/mailorder places... Now, I've searched around on BritPart and Rovers North and they look like they carry ALOT. But, are they pretty reliable on shipping and what not? Are there any others I should know about? (more for service/resto parts, not so much aftermarket/upgrade items)

Also, is there anything available at NAPA for these trucks? You know, in case of emergency like a belt or filter or fan clutch or items like that... heck, even light bulbs? Are they like typical domestic 1157,2057, and flashbulbs???

Also, driveshaft U-Joints? Is there a domestic source for these or mailorder only?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2013, 09:35 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

When you're looking for a part do a search on this site for detail info. You'll find everything from part numbers to alternate parts and more than likley the detailed installation instructions/ warnings...accompanied by photos most of the time. You just search, let your fingers do the walking first.

Most of the companies that youve heard about on this site are very good. If they do screw up (cause we're all human) they make amends. Good Luck!
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:53 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxCustom View Post
Just wondering about parts sources/catalogs/mailorder places... Now, I've searched around on BritPart and Rovers North and they look like they carry ALOT. But, are they pretty reliable on shipping and what not? Are there any others I should know about? (more for service/resto parts, not so much aftermarket/upgrade items)

Also, is there anything available at NAPA for these trucks? You know, in case of emergency like a belt or filter or fan clutch or items like that... heck, even light bulbs? Are they like typical domestic 1157,2057, and flashbulbs???

Also, driveshaft U-Joints? Is there a domestic source for these or mailorder only?
Basics are available at napa / auto zone etc
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:14 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
When you're looking for a part do a search on this site for detail info. You'll find everything from part numbers to alternate parts and more than likley the detailed installation instructions/ warnings...accompanied by photos most of the time. You just search, let your fingers do the walking first.

Most of the companies that youve heard about on this site are very good. If they do screw up (cause we're all human) they make amends. Good Luck!
Bil's the man! He hooked me up with so much information as to where to get parts. I can't get nothing at Auto zone for my truck in Brooklyn. Trust me, you can't.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:25 PM
FoxCustom
Fox
Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by couga861900 View Post
Bil's the man! He hooked me up with so much information as to where to get parts. I can't get nothing at Auto zone for my truck in Brooklyn. Trust me, you can't.
Good to know. I'll ask the local NAPA warehouse anyways. Thanks guys! By the way, I was meaning parts for a British Spec 200Tdi...as that's the truck on my wish list.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 01:31 PM
DBrands
David Brandson
D90 Truckcab

Registry
I have a 200TDi from the UK. I have found it to be easy and cost-effective to get together a decent order and just ship from a company in the UK like lrseries.com or island4x4.co.uk. They seem to be keen on charging a flat rate of 40GBP for shipments, which have varied for me from a small 6 pound shoebox, to a large 18 pound 12x18x10 inch box. My shipments have all shown up within 10 days. Only one issue is they forgot to send a part once, but it was sent priority after I let them know and showed up in three days.

I have also found ordering from some independent land rover shops to be very competitive as well. Always good to support them as well.

I haven't done it, but apparently you can upgrade the brakes on your 200tdi to the bigger vented rotors and subsequent calipers from NA spec 90 which I have found available at napa for a decent price.

Also, nas and early row defender u joints are the same?

I think some searching around the site will give you the answers to these possibilities.

Don't take me as the gospel though, there are far more knowledgeable people than me on the site.

I am also in Canada, but I doubt that should make much difference.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 02:33 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxCustom View Post

Good to know. I'll ask the local NAPA warehouse anyways. Thanks guys! By the way, I was meaning parts for a British Spec 200Tdi...as that's the truck on my wish list.
The 200tdi comes with v-belts and last I checked you could just measure the length the napa or autozone would find one for you. The 300tdi has a more specific belt that you would need to get from a rover place.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old February 3rd, 2013, 03:24 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
The 200tdi comes with v-belts and last I checked you could just measure the length the napa or autozone would find one for you. The 300tdi has a more specific belt that you would need to get from a rover place.
You can get a serpentine belt for the 300Tdi from a NAPA in a pinch....

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...&postcount=155

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender