Looking for Defender Knowledge... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 19th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Over here it makes sense to go V8 because most everything else petrol...IMO. If I were in the UK I'd be hard on a Diesel. I call myself lazy on this because the diesel seems to require too much TLC...maybe its my ignorance on the subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2013, 10:21 AM
FoxCustom
Fox
Searching

http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehi...and_Rover_.htm

So, if I ended up going the ex MOD 110 route (what I really want to do) with a 200/300TDi, are these newer (like early to mid 1990's) ones okay to import to the US??? Or are they a hassle. I've heard about the whole 25 yrs or older thing and how that is okay, but what happens when it is newer? Or should I just buy an ex-mod that's already been imported?

These slightly newer exMOD trucksare appealing to me because of their lower mileage and cleaner chassis's. And since it's military, it's most likely well-maintained (at least mechanically).

------ Follow up post added January 19th, 2013 10:22 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxCustom View Post

So, if I ended up going the ex MOD 110 route (what I really want to do) with a 200/300TDi, are these newer (like early to mid 1990's) ones okay to import to the US??? Or are they a hassle. I've heard about the whole 25 yrs or older thing and how that is okay, but what happens when it is newer? Or should I just buy an ex-mod that's already been imported?

These slightly newer exMOD trucksare appealing to me because of their lower mileage and cleaner chassis's. And since it's military, it's most likely well-maintained (at least mechanically).
Obviously, creature comforts aren't a concern for me...
Old January 19th, 2013, 10:26 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:

------ Follow up post added January 19th, 2013 10:22 AM ------

Obviously, creature comforts aren't a concern for me...
Younger than 25 is not a legal option.
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2013, 10:31 AM
FoxCustom
Fox
Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Younger than 25 is not a legal option.
Ahhh, gotcha. Well, I'll just keep searching for a previously imported older model instead. Just something clean and well running.
Old January 19th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I might be about ready to sell my 110 three door. It has a 2.25 naturally aspirated diesel. Overall it might be close to what you are considering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1192587497.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	64728  
Old January 19th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Does might be mean....cash not finance!! lol...would it come with one of everything you've made for LR's?
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:00 PM
FoxCustom
Fox
Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
I might be about ready to sell my 110 three door. It has a 2.25 naturally aspirated diesel. Overall it might be close to what you are considering.
I'll definitely remember to hit you up once I sell my jeep in a month or two
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Does might be mean....cash not finance!! lol...would it come with one of everything you've made for LR's?
It's more like, I might get the rear wheel cylinders and brake pads on today and I might get the injection pump back from rebuilding this week.

It will have sliders and rear bumper and tire carrier on it but I'm going to reclaim the front bumper and brush bar for the new truck.
Old January 19th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
The first 200Tdi engines were fitted in late 1990, when LR started using the name 'Defender'. So anything you can bring in legally would not have had that engine fitted by the factory. They are a common upgrade but that doesn't necessarily mean you can bring in an '87 with a newer engine in it.

There is an ad around here for Puma engines already in the US.

Defenders were legally imported by LRNA from '94 through '98(?) and they all have the 4.0 V8. A 4.6 can be fitted, however.

All depends on your budget!
Old January 19th, 2013, 07:50 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
The first 200Tdi engines were fitted in late 1990, when LR started using the name 'Defender'. So anything you can bring in legally would not have had that engine fitted by the factory. They are a common upgrade but that doesn't necessarily mean you can bring in an '87 with a newer engine in it.

Defenders were legally imported by LRNA from '94 through '98(?) and they all have the 4.0 V8. A 4.6 can be fitted, however.
This has some simple inaccuracies...

Imported by Land Rover (the "North American Spec" or NAS) trucks were in 1993, 1994, 1995, and 1997. 1993 was only the 110. The other years were only D90s.

They did not have the same motor. 1994 and 1995 had the 3.9, 1997 had the 4.0. 1997 was automatic only, 1994/5 were manuals. 1997 has OBD2 with the Lucas GEMS engine control system.

What is correct is that any defender you find in the states that has a Tdi, Td5, or Puma in it was either a VIN swap or engine upgrade.

For my own .02 cents... while I have had nothing but problems with my 300 Tdi, I seem to be the extreme exception. Almost everyone says the Tdi trucks were the most rugged engine they made. I have replaced enough of mine to almost have a new engine, so hopefully it starts behaving for once!
Old January 19th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
This has some simple inaccuracies...

Imported by Land Rover (the "North American Spec" or NAS) trucks were in 1993, 1994, 1995, and 1997. 1993 was only the 110. The other years were only D90s.

They did not have the same motor. 1994 and 1995 had the 3.9, 1997 had the 4.0. 1997 was automatic only, 1994/5 were manuals. 1997 has OBD2 with the Lucas GEMS engine control system.

What is correct is that any defender you find in the states that has a Tdi, Td5, or Puma in it was either a VIN swap or engine upgrade.

For my own .02 cents... while I have had nothing but problems with my 300 Tdi, I seem to be the extreme exception. Almost everyone says the Tdi trucks were the most rugged engine they made. I have replaced enough of mine to almost have a new engine, so hopefully it starts behaving for once!
I stand corrected on all counts!
Old January 19th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

If we're going to play nerdy the 1993 had the 3.9 as well. Engines with serpentine accessory belts came in during 1995. Early defenders had the Lt77 later ones the r380. Most early boxes have been replaced by now but not all.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 19th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post

All depends on your budget!
The first Tdi's were in 1989 and the epa rule is 21 yrs.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 20th, 2013, 02:34 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

2 cents

Agree with the folks:
1. Dealer mechanics don't know squat about them as they have trained on the newer cars.
2. Drive one but know the vehicle that you are going to test drive ....is it stock or modified? Has it been lifted etc.. and drive a couple if you can. I wouldn't mind anyone asking to take my truck on a test drive if they are thinking about buying one.
3. Think about what you want your truck to do? 110s give you more room but have more overhang in the rear. Are you going to off road it or not or planning to mildly off road it? I like my 90 ST but wish I had more room sometimes.
4. After you thought about what you want think about how you want to accessorize it. YOU WILL NEVER get your money out of accessories that you put on it when you go to sell the truck pennies on the dollar. So if you find one that is lifted like you want it and it meets you criteria go for it.
5. I am partial to the V8 only because that is what I have. Parts are easy to get but gas mileage sucks!
6. If you want to hold the value of your investment to an extent I would think about an NAS model rather than an ROW (love to get feedback on this comment). The NAS appear to hold their value compared to a ROW truck.
7. follow your gut as with anything instinct will tell you when you find the right truck. I wouldn't buy something that I haven't already driven.

The down side of playing with cars (or should I say fixing pieces of crap cars) all my life is that I am now always analyzing my cars as I drive them...what's that noise, is it running like it was yesterday or like I expect it to, what is my water temp, did I forget to put underwear on .
95 and older V8s are ODB 1 so that may play into you decision as well. AND take it to Moab when you get it as you will never regret your visit in your Defender
Old January 20th, 2013, 06:16 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Looked after, 200tdi's seem to go on forever.
Old January 20th, 2013, 07:28 AM
FoxCustom
Fox
Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
Agree with the folks:
1. Dealer mechanics don't know squat about them as they have trained on the newer cars.
2. Drive one but know the vehicle that you are going to test drive ....is it stock or modified? Has it been lifted etc.. and drive a couple if you can. I wouldn't mind anyone asking to take my truck on a test drive if they are thinking about buying one.
3. Think about what you want your truck to do? 110s give you more room but have more overhang in the rear. Are you going to off road it or not or planning to mildly off road it? I like my 90 ST but wish I had more room sometimes.
4. After you thought about what you want think about how you want to accessorize it. YOU WILL NEVER get your money out of accessories that you put on it when you go to sell the truck pennies on the dollar. So if you find one that is lifted like you want it and it meets you criteria go for it.
5. I am partial to the V8 only because that is what I have. Parts are easy to get but gas mileage sucks!
6. If you want to hold the value of your investment to an extent I would think about an NAS model rather than an ROW (love to get feedback on this comment). The NAS appear to hold their value compared to a ROW truck.
7. follow your gut as with anything instinct will tell you when you find the right truck. I wouldn't buy something that I haven't already driven.

The down side of playing with cars (or should I say fixing pieces of crap cars) all my life is that I am now always analyzing my cars as I drive them...what's that noise, is it running like it was yesterday or like I expect it to, what is my water temp, did I forget to put underwear on .
95 and older V8s are ODB 1 so that may play into you decision as well. AND take it to Moab when you get it as you will never regret your visit in your Defender
Thanks for all the good info guys! It really helps out because there's so few people around here that own them. I know for a fact that I'll be stocking up on all sorts of assembly/shop manuals for it

"The down side of playing with cars (or should I say fixing pieces of crap cars) all my life is that I am now always analyzing my cars as I drive them...what's that noise, is it running like it was yesterday or like I expect it to..." That is me constantly as well! Hahah.
Old January 20th, 2013, 12:21 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
Hello, I have a ROW model and love it. I don't feel that the NAS model holds it's value more than the ROW model. If you think about it, to have a ROW model (legally) it must be 25 years old. The NAS models are much younger trucks. Therefore, to compare a 1987 or 1988 to a 1993 or 1995 is not a fair comparison. I prefer a ROW model because of the diesel engine. I spend $47 @ $4.29 per gal to fill up and it last me 10-12 days driving about 10-20 miles a day.It cost me about $75 every 2 weeks to fill up. The engine is so simple to work on that a blind person can locate and fix a problem. Having a RHD truck gets a lot of attention and it gives the European tuck character. Maybe it just me but I like to be a little different.

However, I like the NAS roll cage better and it is easier to find parts here for it. I tend to feel that the parts for the NAS is 3 X more than the ROW truck. ROW parts may be a little more if you have to buy them from a UK dealer due to the weaker dollar.

To sum this up, both the NAS and the ROW trucks are lovely trucks. When deciding which truck to buy, make a inventory of yourself, subdue your passion, and do research.
Old January 20th, 2013, 12:28 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Thanks for all the good info guys! It really helps out because there's so few people around here that own them. I know for a fact that I'll be stocking up on all sorts of assembly/shop manuals for it
Nice thing about it is that the factory service manuals can be found on-line for free. Get a rugged tablet (e.g. Motorola Xoom), load the manuals on it, and you're good to go!
Old January 20th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
The first Tdi's were in 1989 and the epa rule is 21 yrs.
I thought the first 200Tdi was late 1990?

EPA 21 years so why 25 for RORO imports?
Old January 20th, 2013, 05:45 PM
FoxCustom
Fox
Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by couga861900 View Post
Hello, I have a ROW model and love it. I don't feel that the NAS model holds it's value more than the ROW model. If you think about it, to have a ROW model (legally) it must be 25 years old. The NAS models are much younger trucks. Therefore, to compare a 1987 or 1988 to a 1993 or 1995 is not a fair comparison. I prefer a ROW model because of the diesel engine. I spend $47 @ $4.29 per gal to fill up and it last me 10-12 days driving about 10-20 miles a day.It cost me about $75 every 2 weeks to fill up. The engine is so simple to work on that a blind person can locate and fix a problem. Having a RHD truck gets a lot of attention and it gives the European tuck character. Maybe it just me but I like to be a little different.

However, I like the NAS roll cage better and it is easier to find parts here for it. I tend to feel that the parts for the NAS is 3 X more than the ROW truck. ROW parts may be a little more if you have to buy them from a UK dealer due to the weaker dollar.

To sum this up, both the NAS and the ROW trucks are lovely trucks. When deciding which truck to buy, make a inventory of yourself, subdue your passion, and do research.
Good point! Not really an even comparison price wise.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender