Looking for cost estimates for repairs to 97 SW - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:51 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Looking for cost estimates for repairs to 97 SW

Am considering buying a 97 SW and had a LR dealer do a pre-sales inspection. Seller agrees to be flexible on price. My question is how much would it cost to have the following items addressed. I know there's probably not enough info for you but let's assume the worst case scenario and then the most likely scenario and make your best estimate of what a good indy mechanic would charge (including parts.) I can't do these things myself.

1. Transmission (auto) doesn't shift out of second until warmed up and reaches a high rpm. Assume a total swap out of a good, used auto transmission (assuming they're readily available, are they?) and then a rebuild.

2. All four brake rotors under spec.

3. Transfer box leaks

4. Transmission line leaks

5. Radiator leaks

6. Needs two tie rod ends

7. wiper motor, hood cable, A/C inop

Which ones are typical, no problem Rover issues and which should make me run away quickly? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:58 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Exclamation

IMO... Call Rob Dassler AKA Roadside Rob on this board. Shop time might be anywhere from $75-100/hour. Est. repair hours for ea. fix are in the shop manual.

Rob Dassler
Southwest Rovers LLC
505-872-7818 (shop)
Ebay Store

You can source the parts through links available through members on this board for most of the stuff I saw. There's Rovers North, British Atlantic and Rovers Down South that I use the most. Just me...lot more out there. Rob sold me a T-Box and had a R-380 (manual) transmission if I needed it. Most of the people in our club source parts like that from Rob. There are others though. Here too, as a matter of fact. Don't want to piss anybody off.

Leaks...They all leak. How bad and what caused it is the question. Mine looked like a rain forest underneath when it was up on a rack at my pre-purchase inspect. Dealer did a 30K mile service for $1100 and the bleeding stopped.

Recommend taking your time. And BTW there were problems with my truck that the dealer didn't mention. Can you get another D owner up there to take a look? And...Sometimes you can get an overreaction from a dealer too. They told me the head gasket was bad, when it was only a rocker cover...Big difference in cost.

ME huh? Have you taken a real close look for rust? Bulkhead, under floor mats, threshold for rear door, doors (esp. bottoms), gas tank skid plate, rear door and/or spare tire carrier hardware, and frame at a minimum. Check for caked mud underneath and scrape it off with a screw driver...If it's red...

There was a guy selling a blue D from ME that looked like cheese grater about a year ago.

Does the seller belong to this board? Last but not least..Get ready to buy a good socket set, PB Blaster, grinder and sawzall for seized bolts. Once you see the repair costs you are going to be motivated to do some yourself.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 07:14 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Gary, is this local?

I can give it a look if you'd like, or give me a call if you need prices.
I have much of what you need in stock, other than the tranny, which is only a couple of days (shipping)away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:39 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Gary, I don't think you could find a much better guy than Matt to take a look at that thing for you...
Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:00 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
Gary, is this local?

I can give it a look if you'd like, or give me a call if you need prices.
I have much of what you need in stock, other than the tranny, which is only a couple of days (shipping)away.
See, Gary? No way I would move on that truck now w/out Matt taking a look at it. If it's not local, ask a Defender owner in that area to take a look. IMO almost any owner can spot some problems outside of drive train and electronics, that an non-owner might not. We all pay "tuition."

Unless the guy is giving it away, I don't think anybody would jump ahead of you and just say"I'll take it."
You don't have to reply, but how many miles does it have on it and what is he asking $$?
Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:36 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Matt and I have spoken but the truck is not local. He did give me an approximate price that would make the truck a good deal even after having the work done. The seller is noodling over it and we're talking again on Monday. Thanks everyone for the help.
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:16 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBaxter
Am considering buying a 97 SW and had a LR dealer do a pre-sales inspection. Seller agrees to be flexible on price. My question is how much would it cost to have the following items addressed. I know there's probably not enough info for you but let's assume the worst case scenario and then the most likely scenario and make your best estimate of what a good indy mechanic would charge (including parts.) I can't do these things myself.

1. Transmission (auto) doesn't shift out of second until warmed up and reaches a high rpm. Assume a total swap out of a good, used auto transmission (assuming they're readily available, are they?) and then a rebuild.$100 to $2000

2. All four brake rotors under spec.
$300 parts and 4 hrs might as well do pads $150

3. Transfer box leaks
Let it leak unless its real bad

4. Transmission line leaks
$200 parts and 2 hours

5. Radiator leaks
$500 Parts and 2 hours might as well do radiator hoses $100

6. Needs two tie rod ends
$100 and 3 hours then front end alignment $100

7. wiper motor, hood cable, A/C inop
$200 wiper and 2 hours
Hood cable $25 and 1 hour
AC anywhere from a charge $100 to a full rebuild $1500

Which ones are typical, no problem Rover issues and which should make me run away quickly? Thanks.
None of the problems are a big deal just make sure of the rust situation.
Alot of the above you can do yourself with a basic set of tools and a little time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags