Looking for basic D90 info - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 21st, 2007, 09:39 PM
cgskipper
Justin Kimura
None

Looking for basic D90 info

I have the opportunity to buy a 1994 D90 with about 95k miles on it. The current owner bought it as a certified pre-owned in Las Vegas and has taken good care of it since. I've always wanted a D90 but I don't know too much about them. Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding what to look for when I view and test drive this D90, known problems, etc. The only concern I have with the vehicle is the mileage...everything else seems to be good. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2007, 10:16 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Justin, come on in...the water is warm.

Inspect the truck fully for rust, ask the owner to provide the full history of the truck and service records.

Buy it, you know you want to...

Old May 21st, 2007, 10:20 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

I was in the same boat as you not too long ago. What I should have looked for.....

the rust on the drivers side floor, and the corners of both doors under the door panel. the screws that go through the crappy door panels. Two leaks. brake rotors are on the last turn. rustly sagging door hinges and rusty hood hinge bolts. rubber under the windows is shot, thus paint problems. rusted fuel tank carrier. turn signals don't shut them selves off. poor attempt at trailer wiring messes with dash lights. I'm sure I could think of more.

I've got almost all of it ironed out now. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Maybe I should have paid a grand or two less. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2007, 10:25 PM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

post pics of under hood...under car...etc. and people wll be able to point out things from the surface pics..just make sure not a lot of rust starting under car cause that can always become a problem (fixable prob but still) hinges rust easily too, check the battery lines for ware and tear (u wana make sure all the connection points are good, other than that surface stuff im a 97 owner so dont know about problems with 94's...people will give you some great input here though...thats barely a start there are lots of things to look for..

as far as milage is concerned these cars can run for a VERY long time if kept right...had a buddy with 189,000miles on his and "it still runs as if it were at 89k" ... (his is a 95)
-ky
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:31 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

not trying to discourage. you will find yourself going through town instead of the highway to enjoy a few more sunny moments in it. You will start thinking of way to fabricate improvements the moment you start working on it. You will wish you had a car lift. You will love it as much as it loves your walet. You will come to the conclusion that it shares your personality. You will kick it and swear never to sell it. You will expain that it is not a Toyota. You will be the envy of jeep drivers with upside down windshield stickers. Chicks dig it.
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:24 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

Justin,

This board as gobs and gobs of info. Just use the search engine. Also, there are many very savy D90 owners that know their stuff here. (I am still learning...lol)

When I went looking for a D90, I paided close attention to rust and corrosion. These trucks suffer from galvanic corrosion due to the contact between the aluminum skins and the steel frame/structure.

Look at:
The bottom of the doors, i.e. weep hole areas
The frame, i.e. the outriggers, middle and rear cross members
Look for bubbled paint, sure sign of corrosion mentioned above

Test drive it it all gears including reverse. (I test drove one and the reverse gear sounded like someone left a wrench in the trany...lol)

Also, there might be a D90 owner near the truck's location. If so, maybe they can look it over with you.

Good luck and welcome to the board!

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:33 AM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974
not trying to discourage. you will find yourself going through town instead of the highway to enjoy a few more sunny moments in it. You will start thinking of way to fabricate improvements the moment you start working on it. You will wish you had a car lift. You will love it as much as it loves your walet. You will come to the conclusion that it shares your personality. You will kick it and swear never to sell it. You will expain that it is not a Toyota. You will be the envy of jeep drivers with upside down windshield stickers. Chicks dig it.

everything u said is so true...ahahaha
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:42 AM
bterpstra
Brian Terpstra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgskipper
I have the opportunity to buy a 1994 D90 with about 95k miles on it. The current owner bought it as a certified pre-owned in Las Vegas and has taken good care of it since. I've always wanted a D90 but I don't know too much about them. Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding what to look for when I view and test drive this D90, known problems, etc. The only concern I have with the vehicle is the mileage...everything else seems to be good. Thanks!
One thing on a 1994 - is the trannny the R380 or the older model (much info there - use the search function).
I have the newer R380, which is painfully clunky & has a strong distaste for going into reverse. I hear the LT77 is worse.

If the older model is what you have, set aside funds to replace at some point.

Other than that, rust in the rear crossmember, condition of the top (the original is either gone or going, besttops aren't the best replacements since they tear in the rear, and Badger is pricey but absolutely the best.)

I would also check front seat belts. They tend to catch in the door latch & fray. Not a big value item, but best to know they're in good shape before you actually need them.

(Note subliminal text - buyitbuyitbuyitbuyitbuyitbuyitbuyit)

Naturally, you'll need lockers although if you get the lockers you'll need upgraded axle shafts. As long as you're monkeying around with the axles you should probably stick some diff guards on there. Then again, it doesn't make much sense to do the diff guards but leave the t-case exposed so you'll probably want to get some skid plates on that. Of course, if you lift it you can avoid getting hung up on the t-case so some new springs might be a good idea too, but lifts don't always work so a winch on the front could really help but you need a new arb bull bar to mount that on. Some nice lights on the bull bar would look nice, and you can add a work light on the back for not much more money......

On second thought -- run like hell and never look back. Know a good divorce lawyer?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:13 AM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bterpstra
Naturally, you'll need lockers although if you get the lockers you'll need upgraded axle shafts. As long as you're monkeying around with the axles you should probably stick some diff guards on there. Then again, it doesn't make much sense to do the diff guards but leave the t-case exposed so you'll probably want to get some skid plates on that. Of course, if you lift it you can avoid getting hung up on the t-case so some new springs might be a good idea too, but lifts don't always work so a winch on the front could really help but you need a new arb bull bar to mount that on. Some nice lights on the bull bar would look nice, and you can add a work light on the back for not much more money

woa buddy your over the place on that one...dont confuse him
since what i believe is that he isnt a LR owner

keep it stock and learn about it before you mess with it is what I would do for 5 months unless of course the add-ons are exterior i.e. bull bar, roof rack. sliders. if he plans on off-roading guards are a must initially: gasoline, diff guards, steering, (skid plates) etc
other than that i would get a feel for it unless he is a previous owner
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:25 AM
oldgreentrucks
Jim Pace

Bone stock the truck has more character than most anything else out there. It will cost more than you think but great little vehicles. I have a 94, sister has 94, one brother has 94 & another brother has 95. Had them many years w/o trouble. Never failed on the trail!
Individual & unique accessories are part of the fun for most so plan $$ accordingly.
Finally you only regret the chances you did NOT take.
Enjoy,
Jim
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:39 AM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

There are some really good sites including this forum which offer helpful advice on buying and maintaining a Defender. I did tons of research before pulling the string and I am so glad I did.
the site below offers some good advice on buying a Land Rover what to lookf for and what to expect ...it might help you

http://www.robisonservice.com/servicedep/rover_dept.asp

One thing I can tell you for sure is you will be smiling ear to ear driving your truck

(when it is running of course lol)
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:23 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Nothing is unfixable.....given time, money, and garage space.
Says the chap in the middle of a full rebuild of an '84 110
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:00 PM
bterpstra
Brian Terpstra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Ariesblu
woa buddy your over the place on that one...dont confuse him
since what i believe is that he isnt a LR owner

keep it stock and learn about it before you mess with it is what I would do for 5 months unless of course the add-ons are exterior i.e. bull bar, roof rack. sliders. if he plans on off-roading guards are a must initially: gasoline, diff guards, steering, (skid plates) etc
other than that i would get a feel for it unless he is a previous owner
bad attemp at humor.
Old July 21st, 2011, 07:53 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

reviving a really old thread....I came across this post earlier today when searching for info on changing belts....and put two and two together... Im about 99.9% sure this is the d90 that I now own.
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:59 PM
OahuDefender
Jason
1994 D-90

Luckily, if the truck is coming from Vegas it should be relatively rust free. Try picking one up in Hawaii! Mine is amazingly rust free considering I live 50 yards from the ocean. West marine is my new best friend, it's like living on a boat here. Boat speakers, neoprene seat covers, the more rust resistant and bullet proof the better.

Sorry for the tangent, good luck with the new truck. You may curse, take out loans, overnight parts, but you'll never regret it! Aloha!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90