Looking for advice on wiring issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 26th, 2015, 08:44 AM
D90884
Jon
1994 Defender 90 #884

Looking for advice on wiring issues

I have had my 94 ST for about 8 months now and am at the point of going through the wiring to try to sort out some ongoing issues and I have hit some road blocks. Hoping someone might have some advice....

The first issue is that my CEL stays on constantly but I have no codes displaying on the diagnostic display. I checked power with a meter and I only have 12 volts at one of the 4 wires at the connector for the display module. I unplugged the MAF and started the truck to check to see if that would activate the display but nothing. I would like to get the display working so I can see if there is really a code. The truck runs pretty well.

Second issue is regarding brake warning lights. I only have 3 volts at the parking brake switch and no voltage at the brake fluid level. The brake warning light does not seem to be working at the instrument display.

The last issue is that my center diff lock light doesn't work. I replaced the switch while fixing the frozen diff lock linkage. The switch is tested and good. There is no power to the wiring to the switch.

I have the workshop manual and have been through the wiring diagrams. Some of the wire colors don't seem to match up. I.e. Parking brake switch wire is supposed to be black and brown but is actually white and yellow.

Any advice is appreciated. I have searched these topics. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2015, 08:48 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
My guess is a bad ground.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 26th, 2015, 09:35 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Do you have the correct wiring diagram for a 94?

Many in circulation are for 97.

Are you sure it's the CEL not the service indicator? You are probably correct but always worth checking.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2015, 09:44 AM
D90884
Jon
1994 Defender 90 #884

It is definitely the CEL. CEL is orange and the service light is red. The service reminder light was on and I reset that by pushing the reset button on the box behind the dash. I bought the manual with diagrams from rovers north and the publication date for the electrical section is October 1993 so I am fairly sure it is correct. The manual covers both 1993 nas 110 and 1994 90. Thanks.
Old March 26th, 2015, 10:14 AM
D90884
Jon
1994 Defender 90 #884

I am not sure. It doesn't seem to indicate that the section included in the workshop manual (part #LDAWMEN93US section 86) is an electrical troubleshooting manual. It does reference ETM A1 in the fuel system section though.
Old March 27th, 2015, 07:16 AM
D90884
Jon
1994 Defender 90 #884

After looking at this more last night I think at least one of the issues is related to poor condition of the printed circuits on the dash warning light module. Are replacement warning light modules still available anywhere? I know rovers north doesn't stock ones for NAS models.
Old March 27th, 2015, 03:48 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Side note, but was there ever an ETM (Electrical Troubleshooting Manual) for the NAS defenders?

-Jeff
I know there's the electrical library which details every connection

------ Follow up post added March 27th, 2015 03:50 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90884 View Post
After looking at this more last night I think at least one of the issues is related to poor condition of the printed circuits on the dash warning light module. Are replacement warning light modules still available anywhere? I know rovers north doesn't stock ones for NAS models.
Some of the guys on here have spares. Put a post in wanted section.

You are talking about the warning cluster right?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions