Looking for advice on engine rebuild - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 27th, 2006, 02:18 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Looking for advice on engine rebuild

I have a 3.9 on a stand in my garage that has about 80k miles on it. The engine in my truck is a 3.5 carburated. My plan is to drop the 3.9 in and put the Edelbrock intake and carb on the 3.9. I was also planning on a Isky cam, new timing chain, water pump etc...
What else should I be doing? I do not have unlimited funds. Right now I have about $500 to drop into it. And that will be it for awhile. I want some input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

80K is not a lot for that engine. I'd be inclined to pull one piston assy and a main cap, evaluate the condition of the bearings & surfaces & rings...if all looks good, reseal it & put it in. Bearings are relatively inexpensive & easy to change. My main concern would be that the oil rings were not gummed up & stuck. If you find stuck rings, a new set of rings & honeing the cylinders is within your budget, I think.
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:55 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
When I pulled the cam on the 3.9 it looked like it was in OK shape. Is it worth it to go with a cam with more torque? Would I notice anything over the stock cam. I have a 130 and it cruises fine on the hwy but like any Rover when you hit the slightest headwind or hill it really dogs down. I am just trying to squeeze out what I can for the cheapest amount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2007, 10:21 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"Is it worth it to go with a cam with more torque?"

Yes. Crower cam when I bought it was like 100-150 shipped. Keith got some cool lifters that are supposed to help with low down torque on his 4.6 disco, but I used stock. If I were doing it again (and did not have the lifters already!) I would try those.

You will not get a lot with $500. New gaskets (use the composite ones) head bolts and the cam and timing chain will eat your budget pretty quick.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:07 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

IMHO Keith used Rhodes lifters. I used the same in my 3.9. They are a little noisy @ idle but work well. BTW a little on the spendy side.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, rebuild